Hobart 2020

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hobart-Australia/Hobart-2020-Olympics/309060151900#!

The crazy doodads in Hobart still think they can mount a reasonably successful bid for the 2020 Olympics. Certainly not with their current proposals.

I'd scrap much of the Launceston venues save for football preliminaries at Aurora Stadium. That being said, football preliminaries MUST be proposed at Melbourne (MCG), Sydney (Olympic Stadium), Brisbane (Suncorp Stadium), Canberra (New Canberra Stadium), Perth (New Perth Stadium), therefore offering 6 venues, with Launceston's upgraded to say 30,000-35,000. Hobart will host the finals at it's Olympic Stadium.

Build a new velodrome in Hobart proper, with a new major arena, and several temporary ones (any new exhibition and convention centres will serve as IBC and MPC respectively, so much of the indoor sports will find a home in temporary pavilions).

Can't expand the Hobart Aquatics Centre so you keep it as is, whilst you build a new 12,000 seater pool and 6,000 seater pool nearby, one of which will be temporary, both outdoor with roofed stands.

The crown jewel of the Olympic Stadium can be 65,000-70,000 any higher capacity might not sell out given Hobart's population and such, not to mention the potential that a 100,000 seater could cause strain to Hobart's hotel infrastructure.

Keep sailing at Devonport if they want.

As for general infrastructure, people will primarily get around Hobart venues by an upgraded bus service. Hotel room numbers should be expanded to 20,000-30,000 minimum, supplemented by cruise ships serving 10,000 odd rooms at Hobart's docks. A media village with 10,000 rooms will avoid the need to house the media in hotels. Additional "rooms" can be found in serviceable apartments both existing and new to say up to 5,000 in numbers, as well as camping ground sites with a capacities of say up to 10,000+.

Overall, 50,000 "rooms" of varying types of accommodation should be on offer, for Hobart's small scale Olympics.

The airport will most definitely need expansion to meet world standards, add a new runway, perhaps a proper international terminal at the northern end? Or maybe one next to the existing terminal?

A lot of work and money will need to be invested to make Hobart 2020 viable, perhaps try and bid, see how you go and then better luck next time? I'd most definitely change the current proposed venue plan to make it more Hobart based.

We all know they won't make it, but will they present a more competent bid proposal?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it was started as a joke, but the guys who did it actually got enthused about it and figured it could be workable. I think, though, they've conceded it's more of an exercise to show how Hobart could go after an event like the CWGs, rather than a serious push for a Tasmanian Olympics.

Oi! Edmonton has some chance, if they actually bothered bidding that is. Hosting another Universiade would show their potential to host.

Please. :rolleyes:

Edmonton would never stand up to the international competition, unless of course it was other smallish, no-name cities that were the only other bidders too, i.e. Nagasaki, Leipzig, Lille.

Not to mention how small of a city Edmonton is compared to virtually all the cities that have hosted. Only Antwerp & Helsinki come quickly to mind for smallish hosts, but that was how many ions ago. There's only 3 Canadian cities that could bid for the Summer Olympics, & Edmonton *ain't* one of them.

Ok, back to topic, I'd be more supportive of a Hobart bid if they made it more Hobart based and had football preliminaries held in other Australian cities.

But what's so different about that? All Olympic hosts hold there preliminaries in other cities around the country.

I think it is an incredibly stupid idea that is only getting this attention because its such a novelty. Yet, in doing so, its encouraging these DJ's to look even more silly. I mean, look at them, they have no idea. Hobart can't even get a game for the 2022 WC, what hope do they have of an Olympics.

Vive Le Melbourne 2028

Hobart can't even get a game for the 2022 WC, what hope do they have of an Olympics.

None.

Just like all the other really smallish cities just there.

None.

Just like all the other really smallish cities out there.

But what's so different about that? All Olympic hosts hold there preliminaries in other cities around the country.

If you actually bothered to look at the proposed venue plan Hobart wants to use Launceston's Aurora Stadium with 3 others in Hobart for preliminaries, hardly Australia based.

That being said, I'd be more supportive if it was a more thorough and realistic proposal.

If you actually bothered to look at the proposed venue plan Hobart wants to use Launceston's Aurora Stadium with 3 others in Hobart for preliminaries, hardly Australia based.

That being said, I'd be more supportive if it was a more thorough and realistic proposal.

Mate, I was the one who originally posted the Hobart site here way back last year. I seem to remember it was a nice enough little plan - for a fantasy bid.

Football prelim venues is the last thing I keep track of in real bids, much less fantasy bids. You made a comment about prelims Australia-wide. That would be a logical plan for a real bid. Now you say they're Tasmanian-based, and I'd agree with you there, that's just silly.

• 2 weeks later...

For a city who will never host the Olympic Games in the 21st Century, Hobart sure has a lot of existing venues, some of which have hosted national, continental, or world championships in the past:

Hobart Aquatics Centre-Swimming, Diving, Synchronised Swimming, Modern Pentathlon, Water Polo

Hobart Archery Park-Archery

Derwent Entertainment Centre-Basketball, Gymnastics

Aurora Sports Stadium-Basketball

Silverdome-Track Cycling

Mount Wellington-Mountain Biking, BMX

Cataract Gorge-Whitewater Canoe/Kayak

Hobart Equestrian Park-Equestrian, Modern Pentathlon

Tasmanian Hockey Centre-Field Hockey

Bellerive Oval-Football

Aurora Stadium-Fottball

KGV Oval-Football

North Hobart Oval-Football

Royal Hobart Golf Club-Golf

Lake Barrington-Rowing, Flatwater Canoe/Kayak

Domain Tennis Centre-Tennis

Kingborough Sports Centre-Table Tennis

South Hobart Badminton Centre-Badminton

Derwent River-Sailing, Triathlon, Open Water Swimming

The Streets of Hobart-Triathlon, Road Cycling, Marathon, Race Walking

Bellerive Beach-Beach Volleyball

And the Bid Committee has proposed six new venues:

David Foster Stadium-Opening and Closing Ceremonies, Athletics, Football Finals

Regina Arena-Boxing, Fencing, Wrestling, Modern Pentathlon

Pointing Dome-Handball, Judo, Volleyball

Tasmanian Shooting Centre-Shooting, Modern Pentathlon

Rugby Park-Rugby 7s

David Boon Centre-Weightlifting

Some of these facilities can also be used when Hobart hosts a Commonwealth Games.

Can someone PLEASE get the Tasmanian government to put on their web site, or at least put up a big poster at Hobart air port and where the Spirit of Tasmania docks at Devonport with the following notice:

"The Hobart 2020 Bid is a Joke. We repeat...a JOKE" :P

I refuse to take serious any Tasmanian bid that has no links with Abuja :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm loving the discussion on this site, and loving that you all still think Hobart 2020 is a 'joke'

As the guy running the bid and the head of the organising committee let me assure each and every one of you, it is not a joke and is 100% serious. I will be creating a new topic of discussion as a more 'serious' platform for news and the like, which of course will welcome all feedback/comments

visit our website http://www.hobart2020.org for more info on the bid at this stage

I'm loving the discussion on this site, and loving that you all still think Hobart 2020 is a 'joke'

As the guy running the bid and the head of the organising committee let me assure each and every one of you, it is not a joke and is 100% serious. I will be creating a new topic of discussion as a more 'serious' platform for news and the like, which of course will welcome all feedback/comments

visit our website http://www.hobart2020.org for more info on the bid at this stage

Have you guys talked with the AOC at all? If so, what have they said?

Archived