The 2010 Cauldron looks like the maple leaf.

It's one of my favorites, it's near the stadium which is very nice too.

stadium.jpg16197522.jpg

That picture at night is beautiful. Never noticed until now how small the cauldron was as opposed to others. Does anyone know if it is still functional?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why is there an extra leg now? It was only originally three?

Simply one of the ugliest cauldrons ever, and a spectacular failure to boot. Thank god your mascots didn't look like sex toys.

/\ It's just too jagged and angular...and the 2 rows of the light posts don't help either. It just looks like bad feng-shui...no harmony whatsoever.

I just don't know what to make of the cauldron.Sometimes it looks great then at other times it looks.....it looks....like angular crap. Nonetheless, Vancouver was spectacular. Two weeks ago (this sounds embarrassing) I watched the full opening ceremony for the FIRST TIME on You Tube.It was lasted as "Opening ceremony Complete Event". Can you believe it? Anyway, I was completely and utterly blown away by the ceremony and was very perplexed about whether or not I was watching the same thing you guys on Gamesbids watched. Now that I saw it myself, I was absolutely stunned at the beauty of the thing. The weakest part would have been the autumn segment for me but there were so many, many exhilarating moments. For sure the emergence of this huge, glittering bear from the stadium floor,the cracking of the ice and emergence of the whales! THE WHALES! The Classical ending to Sarah McLachlan's performance was so stunning. But the ultimate highlight for me, which shall go down in Olympic history as one of the most innovative and emotionally moving performances was the wheat field segment! OMG! I think the unrestrained beauty and superior vastness of the prairies and Canada were majestically captured here! How unequally stunning that was! I also have to give the prize for the best audience participation at an Olympic Opening Ceremony to the audience at Vancouver - especially during the transition segment from the wheat fields to the mountain segment. I still am quite interested in finding out how they got parts of the audience to flick the lights so that the lightening of the storm seem to flash throughout the stadium. Magnificently resplendent! I gave it an 8.5 out of 10

Same thoughts here....

But:

1) The slam poet at the end of the cultural segment was terrible. It was a huge anti-climax to the show. It was also far too nationalistic, schmaltzy. Sure, nationalism is prevalent in Olympic Ceremonies but they're always in a subtle and artistic way. This was just way too in your face, it was embarrassing (same can be said for several segments in the Closing Ceremony).

And it was also as if David Atkins Co. didn't consider the worldwide audience. Television broadcasters that had to translate the ceremonies didn't bother translating both this opening ceremony slam poem and the awful roasts in the Closing Ceremony.

2) The Opening Ceremony missed a multiculturalism segment. This is what Vancouver and modern Canada is all about. It was a huge and yet obvious oversight.

3) The cauldron failure. It was still beautiful with 3 heads, but by then it was an anti-climax.

As for the actual cauldron design, I love it. It's a very well visited landmark, it's actually now a national monument.

There's always people there taking pictures of/with the cauldron.

Memories. Ligthing of the outdoor cauldron.

Yup. Memories. I hope it doesn't take another 20 years for us to host again. And I hope I can experience an Olympic Summer Games on Canadian soil in my lifetime (wasn't born yet when Montreal took place).

I just remembered...when the Olympic torch arrived first arrived in Canada at Victoria in October, they had major issues with lighting the community cauldron in front of the legislature. It took them maybe 4-minutes??? Nevertheless, we should've known it was a sign of things to come....from the front cover to the back cover. :lol: Perhaps this was Bombardier's fault, afterall they were given the contract to design the torch, community cauldrons, and the main cauldrons.

It would have been nice for Vanoc & David Atkins to have a video of the lighting of the cauldron dress rehearsal available to the public.

In fact,when they realized something was wrong, they should have cut to the rehearsal video and pretended nothing was wrong.

I just remembered...when the Olympic torch arrived first arrived in Canada at Victoria in October, they had major issues with lighting the community cauldron in front of the legislature. It took them maybe 4-minutes??? Nevertheless, we should've known it was a sign of things to come....from the front cover to the back cover. :lol: Perhaps this was Bombardier's fault, afterall they were given the contract to design the torch, community cauldrons, and the main cauldrons.

i think what happend there was they couldn't get the flame out of the lamp. that's what i remember.

Flowers were put on the reflection pool for the 2010 MPI conference. They really need to put flowers around Jack Poole Plaza to add colours.

4827203813_9b32d6960b_b.jpg

They should also have an annual sand sculpture contest at Jack Poole Plaza that would bring more tourists to Vancouver.

4827808624_40f9c26c3b_z.jpg

4827201037_0fe847e040_z.jpg

It would have been nice for Vanoc & David Atkins to have a video of the lighting of the cauldron dress rehearsal available to the public.

There was no cauldron lighting at the dress rehearsal.... They stopped just before rising the different poles of the cauldron...

But for sure they made a private rehearsal for it... but without including it in the general show and without all things that could drop in the mechanism...

I think I read that they did rehearse it late at night or at a time when the stadium was vacant and locked down. They would no doubt have to test timing and mechanics. Well, unfortunately, even with testing, things go wrong. Such is life.

The Cauldron was re-lit for the 2010 MPI WEC conference. This picture is by Jason Judy.

4830895357_e1106f69fb_b.jpg

Hmmm, Olympic flame. BMX... possible hint at a summer games bid? ;):rolleyes: It could happen... in about 100 years. :P

• 1 month later...

Hey, maybe the cauldron was inspired by the logo from the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton? ;)

Edmonton_1978.png

The problem w/ Vancouver's cauldron is it was too sprawling and too complicated. Yes, its structure and concept were unqiue...but it doesn't photograph all that well. And those friggin' spokes are TOO ungainly, really cutting out any grace that a cauldron should have.

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1