The 2010 Cauldron looks like the maple leaf.

The problem w/ Vancouver's cauldron is it was too sprawling and too complicated. Yes, its structure and concept were unqiue...but it doesn't photograph all that well. And those friggin' spokes are TOO ungainly, really cutting out any grace that a cauldron should have.

It's likely that the determinant of the cauldron design was whatever would work at BC Place Stadium, given the limited room and the limited amount of space for equipment stored under the stadium floors and the limited number of trap doors.

They simply designed a nicer version of the BC Place cauldron for the exterior cauldron at the convention centre.

Hey, maybe the cauldron was inspired by the logo from the 1978 Commonwealth Games in Edmonton? ;)

Edmonton_1978.png

I think the cauldron was inspired by the Vaillancourt Fountain in SF's Justin Hermann Plaza by the Embarcadero.

See photo in this article: http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-03-17/bay-area/17418905_1_embarcadero-freeway-energy-crisis-arts-commission

The stadium cauldron was also the welcoming totem poles.

Is there a schedule for when the cauldron is lit? I'd like to get down there and snap some up close photos when it is burning.

"The cauldron will have to come out of the same trap doors we're using for the totem poles"

The stadium cauldron was also the welcoming totem poles.

Is there a schedule for when the cauldron is lit? I'd like to get down there and snap some up close photos when it is burning.

Not sure if they have a schedule. But they'll probably light it up on Feb 12. Any word if they'll light it at the end of this month for the 1 year anniversary of the start of the torch relay?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I watched the 4th Indiana Jones movie tonight, and I think I finally found where David Atklins & crew found their "inspiration" for the 4-spoked Vancouver cauldron. Can't be arsed to find the right clip, so just go the trailer.

For those of you who didn't see the movie, it's at 1:26. It's the same 4 spokes, except this Indy film has its meeting point in reverse (i.e., at the bottom instead of at the top in Vancouver -- but it's basically the same idea.

BTW, the finding of "El Dorado" in this movie and its frittering away is EXACTLY the same thing as the ending in National Treasure, Book 2. I don't know which movie came first.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...