The 2010 Cauldron looks like the maple leaf.

It's still there, of course. Where else do you think it could be. :)

I don't know. They moved the ones previous to it: Nagano, Sydney, Salt Lake...so why can't I assume that Torino's might also have been moved? <_<

I wonder if David Atkins got the idea for the indoor cauldron from watching Indiana Jones 4? :lol:

Indy4_AkatorTemple2.jpg

Could be...or it could be from the Vaillancourt Fountain in San Francisco also...

http://articles.sfgate.com/2004-03-17/bay-area/17418905_1_embarcadero-freeway-energy-crisis-arts-commission (which is considered an eyesore in SF)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

• 2 weeks later...

A thought came to mind, We know the flame will be re-lit on special occasions, but what about the structure itself? Will the glass legs be illuminated at night as was during the games? Will it be illuminated all the time?

^^^

I would assume yes, it will probably be illuminated just as any other land mark statue or fountain would be illuminated.

The reason why I asked was when I was there looking at it from behind the chain-link fence, I noticed they had these smaller temporary spot lights tucked in under the glass at the bottom of each leg giving it that bluish illumination. I was just wondering if they'll retain this and make the lights more permanent during the renovation.

A few months after the Games, I think the cauldron is starting to look a little ugly and out-of-place to me. Like it's just too out-there saying "I'm different." It has no majesty or, to me, a connection with the history of the more graceful cauldrons. It's just too massive and splayed.

It's going to be hard to keep it clean under all that glass skin...

I'm sure this was explained earlier, but why wasn't the pool put in from the beginning?

I wish there had been more explanations about the design, inspiration etc., seems odd to be so flamboyant and complicated but with little explanation.