The 2010 Cauldron looks like the maple leaf.

When I went to view the cauldron, behind the chainlink fence I swear I saw Kal-El interacting with a projection of Jor-El.

;)

It wasn't all that bad. Can't wait to see the piece of junk London comes up with. Just wait, it will be uglier than that scrap metal tower they want to put up in their Olympic Park.

It looks even more like a Maple Leaf with one leg missing!

I liked the cauldron, the outdoor one much more than the indoor one.

What I wasn't in love with was the use of 4 cauldron lighters, because it diminishes the significance of the honour. Although in Vancouver's case 4 lit the temporary cauldron and only Gretzky lit the outdoor one, so its a big convoluted.

I also didn't like how the cauldron (at least in part) was artificially lighted. We were discussing earlier that each of the arms seemed to have a sparker on it, but at least the outer arms appear to be lit genuinely with the flame from Greece. The centre one was obviously triggered. With the outdoor, all but one of the outer arms had to be lit artificially.

^ I have to say that I disliked how the centre flame was electronically lit, but what can you do.....at least it wasn't a completely fake lighting like Torino's.

I have to say that I quite like the cauldron, the one at the convention centre is really is a beautiful masterpiece...right now they're building a huge reflecting pool underneath the cauldron.

I have to say that I quite like the cauldron, the one at the convention centre is really is a beautiful masterpiece...right now they're building a huge reflecting pool underneath the cauldron.

mr.x, do you have any photos of the progress with the reflection pool and torch relay map?

Ah, too bad the cauldron isn't as close to the water as it is in that final schematic. It is much close to the street and the far fight of image. It is also too bad they didn't have the reflecting pool in place before the Games. The reflecting fire would have been a great effect.

As for the re-construction project, they still have quite a bit of work to do. I'm assuming they're aiming to be done by the Canada Day relighting ceremony? And the cauldron still attracts visitors. Not thronging masses, but still, there is almost always someone at it taking a photo.

This isn't my favourite cauldron of all time, but it isn't my least favourite either. And some info I've learned...it was designed by David Atkins' team. It was not the work of VANOC's Brand Management and Creative department, the team that designed the torches, community cauldrons and the cauldron at Whistler as well as the Look of the Games. I didn't really care for the sparkle effect at the one inside BC Place, but that only seemed to be visible for a few seconds. The lighting of the outdoor cauldron, however, was exceptionally well done.

But they seemed to have perfected an idea that Lillehammer wanted to produce with their cauldron. The 1994 flame was meant to burn in a giant glass encased icicle-like container but they couldn't find a glass that could withstand the heat of the flame so they went with a plane concrete cone. Well, Salt Lake organizers found a way to overcome that problem with the water coolant system, but not sure if it worked out for Vancouver because of the spread out heat of the five smaller flames or if they engineered a more heat resistant glass in 16 years.

Alen Puaca's concept design of the cauldron. Check out his website to see more concept illustration of the opening and closing ceremony. http://www.alenpuaca.com/category/portfolio/

This was a nice find! But I have to say, I really do not like the work he did for the official program for the Vancouver Opening Ceremony. It was so grey and dull and didn't tell a visual story at all. I was disappointed in it as a keep sake of a very special night. Giving away a few elements and teasers from the show wouldn't have hurt or spoiled the show since you'd only get hold of it a few moments before the opening and most of that time was spend putting on a poncho, practicing the flash light thing and trying to squeeze all that stuff and yourself into the seat.

I like the Vancouver cauldron. I also like how people are already having a go at Londons when they havent even designed it yet. Im sure their views will be very constructive when they actually have a design to base their pathetic childish comments on.

I really don't like Lilehammer's cauldron.

3881717054_eb71f318bb.jpg

It's a Basic Cauldron Design 101 project. The only problem with Lillehammer's (or any of the smaller mountain Winter cauldrons) is that because they are situated in these remote mountain locations, only a handful of people will see them and visit them...thus maintaining a gas line or activating it even for a lighting has to be very cost-effective.

Well, actually, even the SOG cauldrons which are in the huge cities, are lit only during special occasions but more people pay homage to them vs. the WOG cauldrons.

Did they move Torino's cauldron? I think Beijing's is still on that roof because it made sense to keep it there. Bringing it down would not make too much sense, concept-wise.

Edited by baron-pierreIV