Urban Regeneration and Failed Bids

Sam1984

Hello everyone.

Though I have often trawled gamesbids.com and its forums this is actually my first post so forgive me if I am doing the wrong thing by starting a new thread but I cant think of the best place for what I am about to ask.

I am currently studying for an MSc in Spatial Planning at Oxford Brookes University and am starting to write a thesis which is essentially looking at how cities adjust their Urban Regeneration aspirations after a failed Olympic bid.

I live in Chelmsford in Essex (UK) so am only down the road from the Stratford Olympic Village but the 2 case studies I will be considering are Birmingham (who bid for the 1992 Games) and Manchester (1996 and 2000 Bids). I have found the information on gamesbids.com and the bidlibrary.com to be really useful (and fascinating)resources and I would just like to gauge everyone's opinion on my project.

I hope to answer if the key to a sustainable Olympic legacy is not winning the games in the first place?

There is a whole lot of information about past Olympic games and the events capacity to deliver urban regeneration but I am keen to investigate failed bids.

In order to answer this I will also hope to ask....

I want to see how cities respond to losing the games?

How they bridge the funding gap?

If losing the bid was beneficial?

If the (stakeholders) have any regrets?

What I imagine the case is that the bidding process actually helps city planners engage stakeholders and establish networks which might never of happened hadn't there been the common goal of winning the Olympic games.

For my dissertation I have to consider both secondary and primary data. The secondary data I am comfortable with but for the primary data I intend to undertake interviews with planners in Birmingham and Manchester. It would add real credence to the report if I could interview people who were actually involved in the cities respective bids and I was wandering if anyone could point me in the right direction to locating these contacts? If anyone knows of someone that would be willing to talk to me I would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Also Could anyone help me locate the bid books for Birmingham 1992 or is the 'heart of gold' document as much as I can gleam from that bid. A Manchester 1996 Bid Book would also be usefull.

I really appreciate any help/comments/suggestions from anyone in the gamesbids.com forum.

Thanks a lot in advance

Sam

Hello everyone.

Though I have often trawled gamesbids.com and its forums this is actually my first post so forgive me if I am doing the wrong thing by starting a new thread but I cant think of the best place for what I am about to ask.

I am currently studying for an MSc in Spatial Planning at Oxford Brookes University and am starting to write a thesis which is essentially looking at how cities adjust their Urban Regeneration aspirations after a failed Olympic bid.

I live in Chelmsford in Essex (UK) so am only down the road from the Stratford Olympic Village but the 2 case studies I will be considering are Birmingham (who bid for the 1992 Games) and Manchester (1996 and 2000 Bids). I have found the information on gamesbids.com and the bidlibrary.com to be really useful (and fascinating)resources and I would just like to gauge everyone's opinion on my project.

I hope to answer if the key to a sustainable Olympic legacy is not winning the games in the first place?

There is a whole lot of information about past Olympic games and the events capacity to deliver urban regeneration but I am keen to investigate failed bids.

In order to answer this I will also hope to ask....

I want to see how cities respond to losing the games?

How they bridge the funding gap?

If losing the bid was beneficial?

If the (stakeholders) have any regrets?

What I imagine the case is that the bidding process actually helps city planners engage stakeholders and establish networks which might never of happened hadn't there been the common goal of winning the Olympic games.

For my dissertation I have to consider both secondary and primary data. The secondary data I am comfortable with but for the primary data I intend to undertake interviews with planners in Birmingham and Manchester. It would add real credence to the report if I could interview people who were actually involved in the cities respective bids and I was wandering if anyone could point me in the right direction to locating these contacts? If anyone knows of someone that would be willing to talk to me I would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Also Could anyone help me locate the bid books for Birmingham 1992 or is the 'heart of gold' document as much as I can gleam from that bid. A Manchester 1996 Bid Book would also be usefull.

I really appreciate any help/comments/suggestions from anyone in the gamesbids.com forum.

Thanks a lot in advance

Sam

Welcome. A few of our members have compiled an online resource of old bid documents that they have scanned.

www.thebidlibrary.com

Archived