Sign in to follow this  
gotosy

The New Deodoro Racetrack

The Ministry of Sports, the Municipality of Rio de Janeiro and the Brazilian Confederation of Motorsport (CBA) gathered on Tuesday in Brasilia to discuss the construction of a new racetrack in Rio de Janeiro.

The current circuit, already partially demolish for the Pan American Games 2007, will be closed for the building of the Olympic Park.

The CBA and the Federation of Automobile Rio de Janeiro (Faerj) agreed with the proposal of the federal government and began the process for construction.

A technical group will be formed, with representatives of three parties, to study the design of the new circuit.

This phase will take two months for the listening to stakeholders and present findings.

The federal government and the Municipality of Rio de Janeiro have undertaken to adjust the schedule of work on the new circuit, Deodoro, with the construction of the Olympic Park in Jacarepagua, not to disrupt the racing schedule in Brazil.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=pt-BR&sl=pt&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fgloboesporte.globo.com%2Fmotor%2Fnoticia%2F2010%2F05%2Fgoverno-federal-prefeitura-e-cba-chegam-acordo-sobre-novo-autodromo-no-rio.html

http://globoesporte.globo.com/motor/noticia/2010/05/governo-federal-prefeitura-e-cba-chegam-acordo-sobre-novo-autodromo-no-rio.html

Deodoro circuit to be self-sustaining and used for the development of various social projects

To ensure that the new speedway Deodoro, does not become a white elephant, a sustainability study will determine the economic viable use of the site without expense to the government. The desire is that, in parallel to the races, the installation becomes a center of education and business.

The plan is start the construction in January and ending in December 2013, at a cost of about $ 150 million.

Projeto-autodromo-Deodoro-Foto-Divulgacao_LANIMA20120605_0001_26.jpg

http://www.lancenet...._717528429.html

Rio in Formula 1 bid

RIO DE JANEIRO, Nov. 10 (Xinhua) -- Rio de Janeiro mayor Eduardo Paes is reportedly preparing a bold proposal to bring Formula 1 to the Brazilian city.

Paes is seeking talks with Formula 1 CEO Bernie Ecclestone about the prospect of making Rio Brazil's second venue on the championship calendar after the Interlagos track in Sao Paulo, Brazil's Lancenet reported.

It is understood Paes is hesitant to enter in a direct dispute with Sao Paulo for the event, but will do so if Ecclestone rules out the prospect of staging two Grand Prix races in the country.

Speaking at an announcement for' Rio's new international speedway on Friday, Paes said: "Be prepared Sao Paulo because I am going to steal the Formula 1 from you."

Interlagos, which is contracted to host an annual Formula 1 race until 2015, was Brazil's first Grand Prix home in the 1970s before losing its host status to Rio de Janeiro's Jacarepagua circuit in 1981.

The event returned to Interlagos in 1990 and has remained there since.

http://news.xinhuane...c_131964454.htm

• Like 1

How I hate the stupid speeches from our politicians...

Sao Paulo is the HOME of motorsports in Brazil and Sao Paulo MUST have the Brazilian Grand Prix forever and ever... It's a traditional track and a very waited one in the calendar, since everything can happen during a race in Interlagos circuit. It's already a special venue for the championship.

Paes should know that...

Rio can only try a second GP in Brazil, which would be nice, specially in a country where motorsports is, maybe, our 3rd national sport.

It would be amazing for Brazil and also for F1 to have two race around here.

I'm already curious to see how Ecclestone would name Rio's prix.... "Grand Prix of Rio"? "Grand Prix of South Atlantic?"

• Like 1

How I hate the stupid speeches from our politicians...

Sao Paulo is the HOME of motorsports in Brazil and Sao Paulo MUST have the Brazilian Grand Prix forever and ever... It's a traditional track and a very waited one in the calendar, since everything can happen during a race in Interlagos circuit. It's already a special venue for the championship.

Paes should know that...

Absolutely!!

Can we please, please, please keep the Olympics and F1 seperate? I love both, but Olympic cities looking to host F1, replacing great tracks with bags of tradition with shoddy street circuits, are not helping anyone but themsevles.

The London Olympic Park is not a suitable place for an F1 race, and we've just spent £300m upgrading Silverstone anyway, I'm far from convinced Sochi's track will be any good in 2014, Cape Town's proposed track in and around their World Cup stadium looked rubbish, and now Rio is making these noises as well when Brazil already has the incredible Interlagos.

London, Sochi, South Africa, Rio.....stop it!

Rio can only try a second GP in Brazil, which would be nice, specially in a country where motorsports is, maybe, our 3rd national sport.

It would be amazing for Brazil and also for F1 to have two race around here.

I'm already curious to see how Ecclestone would name Rio's prix.... "Grand Prix of Rio"? "Grand Prix of South Atlantic?"

No country should have two GPs these days. I understand Ecclestone's really trying to get the USA back on board after the 6 car race the last time the sport was there - so i'm just about ok with them having two GPs for the time being (maybe in the future Austin and New Jersey could alternate). But as a general rule no country should be hosting two.

Edited by RobH

In the very case of Rio its pretty much otherwise... Rio used its Formula 1 circuit to build the Olympic Park.

And Rio is not proposing a street circuit, but the city is building a new modern speedway.

I have no problems with two races being held in big countries like Brazil or USA...

But its more likely to Rio receive some Indy race in the future than F1

In the very case of Rio its pretty much otherwise... Rio used its Formula 1 circuit to build the Olympic Park.

And Rio is not proposing a street circuit, but the city is building a new modern speedway.

I have no problems with two races being held in big countries like Brazil or USA...

But its more likely to Rio receive some Indy race in the future than F1

Only one F1 race is in the United States this year, up from zero in 2011.

I know, I mean, I'm in favour big countries with big motorsports market like Brazil or USA could host two F1 races in the same year.