The Maracana Cluster

Wait till the 2011 World Military Games in Rio and see who deserveS to be the main Olympic Stadium. Joao Havelange Stadium is hosting athletics and ceremonies at that event. Rio is an Olympic City with no (proper) Olympic Stadium. A football-only stadium hosting Olympic ceremonies s a joke.

• Like 1

Wait till the 2011 World Military Games in Rio and see who deserveS to be the main Olympic Stadium. Joao Havelange Stadium is hosting athletics and ceremonies at that event. Rio is an Olympic City with no (proper) Olympic Stadium. A football-only stadium hosting Olympic ceremonies s a joke.

Well lets see, they're using Maracana based on the fact that it was proven use for the 2007 Pan American Games. It is larger capacity than their Olympic stadium.

It's not really a joke, if they're using a venue that speaks of Rio and such, they're only hosting Athletics at an upgraded Joao Havelange to meet IOC requirements. Besides, if the IOC really wanted to have ceremonies at Joao Havelange, then it would have pressured Rio to make such concessions.

So it's simple, Rio's Olympic Stadium will always be Joao Havelange, doesn't necessarily mean that ceremonies should be held there, especially if there's another larger venue available. Not to mention the possibilities of ruining the track and such if the opening ceremony was held at Joao Havelange. Then you look at events like the Pan American Games, there's been plenty of hosts that haven't necessarily used their athletics stadium to host ceremonies. The IOC approved of Rio's proposal, what's done is done and I'm sure come 2016, you'd actually be quite pleased that they chose Maracana over Joao Havelange.

• Like 2

Besides, if the IOC really wanted to have ceremonies at Joao Havelange, then it would have pressured Rio to make such concessions.

This is the point. The IOC could easily have said during the bidding process "we don't like this dual stadium plan". That would have forced Rio's hand and it would have been changed pronto. Rio isn't forcing this on the IOC, as much as some people don't like it (I'm still concerned how the balance will work and how the cauldron situation will pan out if I'm honest).

Well lets see, they're using Maracana based on the fact that it was proven use for the 2007 Pan American Games. It is larger capacity than their Olympic stadium.

It's not really a joke, if they're using a venue that speaks of Rio and such, they're only hosting Athletics at an upgraded Joao Havelange to meet IOC requirements. Besides, if the IOC really wanted to have ceremonies at Joao Havelange, then it would have pressured Rio to make such concessions.

So it's simple, Rio's Olympic Stadium will always be Joao Havelange, doesn't necessarily mean that ceremonies should be held there, especially if there's another larger venue available. Not to mention the possibilities of ruining the track and such if the opening ceremony was held at Joao Havelange. Then you look at events like the Pan American Games, there's been plenty of hosts that haven't necessarily used their athletics stadium to host ceremonies. The IOC approved of Rio's proposal, what's done is done and I'm sure come 2016, you'd actually be quite pleased that they chose Maracana over Joao Havelange.

i shouldn't be pleased at all, I should get mad. I don't care about the track being ruined by the ceremony, they can just fix it before the competitions begin. This stadium situation is going to make the Rio de Janeiro Games a disaster. Using a football-only stadium for Olympic Ceremonies is un-Olympic. 2016 is the Un-Olympic year, a year of curse for the Summer Games. Rio just likes to make the wrong excuses. The IOC is wrong for doing so.

• Like 1

This is the point. The IOC could easily have said during the bidding process "we don't like this dual stadium plan". That would have forced Rio's hand and it would have been changed pronto. Rio isn't forcing this on the IOC,

IOC would not force Rio to do nothing. If IOC really does not like the plan, IOC would REQUIRE Rio and probably Rio wouldn't get even the second phase of bidding.

So, IOC is pretty happy with dual stadium plan.

So simple and so clear.

This stadium situation is going to make the Rio de Janeiro Games a disaster

Jim, send an e-mail to j.rogge@olympic.org. He is the one who, actually, could help you to avoid the "disaster"!!! tongue.giflaugh.gif

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Jim, you've got six years to get used to it ... or not. But I think even you are going to find six years of complaining a bit tedious.

Anyway, I'll guarantee you 99.9 per cent of the world audience won't notice, or care, what happens when in which stadiums come 2016.

Edited by Sir Rols

i cannot get used to this at all. Sorry, but the Mario Filho Stadium should be rejected and disqualified from hosting Olympic ceremonies and hosting any events in the Summer Paralympics.

There is no rule stating that Olympic ceremonies must be held in the largest football stadium regardless of whether or not it has a track.Get the ceremonies into the athletcs stadium lke Barcelona and Mexico City and there won't be any problems.

• Like 1

Yes. IOC may be happy with this. I'm not. I think Maracana is violating a little something I call:

DaRules.jpg

Is there any rule in IOC for hosting ceremonies stadium??? blink.gif #fail

Well, probably only in your book or in some The Fairly OddParents episode, as shown above... laugh.gif

I'll guarantee you 99.9 per cent of the world audience won't notice, or care, what happens when in which stadiums come 2016.

And many of them will be thrilled to see Maracana hosting, as shown by the fact that Maracana is the second most visited touristic point in Brazil, ahead of Christ statue!!!

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

i cannot get used to this at all. Sorry, but the Mario Filho Stadium should be rejected and disqualified from hosting Olympic ceremonies and hosting any events in the Summer Paralympics.

There is no rule stating that Olympic ceremonies must be held in the largest football stadium regardless of whether or not it has a track.Get the ceremonies into the athletcs stadium lke Barcelona and Mexico City and there won't be any problems.

go away.

^^No, Mo Rush.

IOC shouldn't care if an existing Olympic Stadium is a tourist spot or not. If there are two stadiums planned to be the main Olympic Stadium, there's gonna be conflict, there's gonna be controversy surrounding that fact.

There wouldn't be if you'd just shut up.

I suppose it'll at least boost your post count over the six years.

• Like 1

Rio's Mayor will visit Cape Town at the start of the Cape to Rio sailing race, and enter into partnership agreement to co-operate on major events, tourism, security etc. etc Rio has also invited Cape Town's Mayor to the end of the race in Rio.

Well, Ii ain't gonna shut up. This is all about keeping Maracana out of the Olympic Stadium picture.

Don't you see that most part of people here doesn't care, people in IOC doesn't care, people in Rio are even happy with this choice and media is thrilled about...

You will not change this. And if somehow Maracana won't be part of the ceremonies, be sure, it's not because of your likes and dislikes.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Thinking about the stadiums for Olympic Ceremonies. The tradition was already broken or bended.

Athens 1896 had its ceremonies in Panathinaiko Stadium, a venue that have a different shape in comparision with the now-a-days stadia.

More, the athletics competitions changed a lot (no more "pass-through-barrels" for races), even the distance of so-traditional Marathon was changed to make British people and royal court happy (for me, much worse than sending ceremonies to Maracana).

If we go deep on olympic traditions, the games should be held every 4 years in Athens with no soccer, no sailing, no table tennis, no basketball and also no war in the World during the games.

Don't you see that most part of people here doesn't care, people in IOC doesn't care, people in Rio are even happy with this choice and media is thrilled about...

You will not change this. And if somehow Maracana won't be part of the ceremonies, be sure, it's not because of your likes and dislikes.

Get it through their heads: Maracna will never be a true Olympic Stadium.

• Like 1