The Maracana Cluster

Besides the Maracana and Engenhao stadiums, should the Sambodromo and the Maracanazinho Arena also have a renovation before the Games?

Sambadrome will have a new sector of tribunes and Maracanazinho only need minor renovations like expand cloakrooms (is that the name, I used Google translator)

Well, that was sudden. They weren't kidding when they said things were going to get on track as fast as they could after all the shortcomings preparations have had. Good thing to know Maracanã renovations are under work, they have like 2 and half years now to be ready o.o

"Para o conforto de todos assista ao jogo sentado"... How many times do people do as the sign says? laugh.gif

During a football match, it's unlikely. Mainly in Maracanã, where the big four RJ teams play very often. I support Vasco da Gama, but I am not a fool to ignore that Flamengo has around 30.000.000 supporters all over the country. As you can imagine, people come from every corner of the country to watch games in Maracanã. Botafogo and Fluminense also use the stadium for matches against Flamengo. If in your question you mean that people in Rio do not follow rules, you are wrong. But if you are talking about the Brazilian national sport, then you have to consider that remaining sitting during the 90 minutes of a football match is something almost impossible. What is it like in spain? People stay sitting during football matches? I don't know, but I think it is not so different from Brazil.

If in your question you mean that people in Rio do not follow rules, you are wrong. But if you are talking about the Brazilian national sport, then you have to consider that remaining sitting during the 90 minutes of a football match is something almost impossible. What is it like in spain? People stay sitting during football matches? I don't know, but I think it is not so different from Brazil.

No, I didn't mean that at all. It's just that I found the sign funny, since neither in Brazil nor in Spain nor anywhere else people stay sitting during a football match or during any other match of a similar sport (say basketball, for example). There are sign like that in Spain, but I haven't seen one saying "For the comfort of all, watch the game seated" like that one, it's very polite, most of them in Spain simply say "Please, sit down", and, of course, no one will do it ;)

Just one question, what if the Mario Filho Stadium did NOT have any role in the 2016 Summer Paralympics? Wembley Stadium is not going to have a role in London's Paralympics, Camp Nou - no role in Barcelona's Paralympics.

Good question. I don't know.

I can say about Para-PanAms 2007 when they didn't used Maracana for nothing.

The ceremonies were held in HSBC Arena Rio.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Maybe they'll keep everything in João Havelange? I know the ceremonies for next year World Military Games will be held there, so...

I need to check it in Rio's Bid Book, but I think the ceremonies will happen in HSBC Arena Rio (or any name they will use during the games).

Wherever the ceremonies are expected to be placed, let's remember that IOC (already said twice) will not change the plans.

Project of the footbridge that will integrate the complex of Maracana with the Quinta da Boa Vista Park. This project will be delivered in 2016, but some parts will be inaugurated for the world cup 2014

ancelmo1309.jpg

I do not understand this obsession with the ceremony in the athletics stadium or the need for the athletics stadium to be inserted into the main complex. That is to belittle the other sports, which for me is just as important as track and field. Only the marathon deserves to be treated differently because of their history, but also I see no need to finish in the athletics stadium.

You did not convince me with that traditional talk B)

IOC approved the idea... Maybe they think the traditions can change a little...

How convenient of you to think this way...

If the idea was to keep the tradition probably Rio wouldn't be chosen to host the Games.

This is called rationalizing....

Maracanã is the most important stadium in Brasil, probably the most important stadium of the most popular sport in the world, for me is a easy decision that the cerimony must happen there.

Ceremony MUST happen there? Stop asking for special treatment of your religion.... :rolleyes:

London four years earlier has wembley which is just as famous and important in footballing terms as the maracna. The stadium's fame is not a good enough reason by itself to change things.

Hear! Hear!

From a logistical point of view I can accept the arrangement though, as can the ioc. However I'm curious to discover how the cauldron situation will work.

True. Extremely unfortunate, but true.

sorry, but it was wrong of the IOC to approve of this idea.

YUP!!!

Yes there must be room for new things. But sometimes the risk is great. Vancouver's BC Place tried many new things when it came to this aspect. Many were unfortunately not as successful in terms of immediate impact and long term legacy in people's minds, as it could have been. (Multiple Cauldrons being one of them, the inflated roof etc..) to justify having it this way in the future.

It would have been fantastic if it succeeded and became the new way of doing things, like how Sydney succeeded in ceremonies that it is defined as the turning point in theatrical ceremonial productions and every host city has been trying to outdo each other since then, but unfortunately the impact of vancouver's cauldrons was lackluster and even controversial at times.

I will say BC Place was an exception that they attempted, but will try to be avoided in the future if possible, same for Maracana, at most it will be a one off.

Besides Maracana will have it's moment of glory as the 'anchor venue' at the 2014 world cup because of it's soccer status. It will be strange associating it as the 'olympic stadium' as soon as 1.5 years later - some how I think.

How did they do the cauldron at the 2007 games with two stadiums? Sorry I don't live in the Americas so I have no impressions or memories of 2007 Pam Am.

Maracana will NEVER be an "Olympic Stadium".

I don't know, they want to reduce the field space in Maracana and if this is true, it will be impossible to make the ceremonies there.

That would be such great news!

The idea of a cauldron suspended over the field is quite suspect to say the least. What if that thing fell? And as for that picture from the Pan American Games in 2007, who the hell wants to sit by some giant hot orange ball of flame?

I think I coined a new word today: RIOdiculous!!!

Project of the footbridge that will integrate the complex of Maracana with the Quinta da Boa Vista Park. This project will be delivered in 2016, but some parts will be inaugurated for the world cup 2014

ancelmo1309.jpg

This project is really great.

I've just watched a report made by TV Globo about it. Clever idea to put a path to go from the Olympic Stadium to the museum!

http://video.globo.c...ayer/Noticias/0,,GIM1336416-7823-QUINTA+DA+BOA+VISTA+VAI+DOBRAR+DE+TAMANHO+E+GANHAR+UMA+PASSARELA,00.html

It was good to see too the works in Maracana. Can't wait to see it ready! smile.gif

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 2

This project is really great.

I've just watched a report made by TV Globo about it. Clever idea to put a path to go from the Olympic Stadium to the museum!

http://video.globo.c...ayer/Noticias/0,,GIM1336416-7823-QUINTA+DA+BOA+VISTA+VAI+DOBRAR+DE+TAMANHO+E+GANHAR+UMA+PASSARELA,00.html

It was good to see too the works in Maracana. Can't wait to see it ready! smile.gif

Hey, do not call the Maracana Stadium as Olimpic Stadium, you may offend OneTimeOnly with this sacrilege :lol:

Hey, do not call the Maracana Stadium as Olimpic Stadium, you may offend OneTimeOnly with this sacrilege :lol:

laugh.gif

Makes an interesting point though. Which one is THE Olympic Stadium when you seperate track and field and the ceremonies into two stadiums? I'd go for the track and field stadium personally and call the Maracana the "Ceremonies Stadium" or something similar instead.

It's a good deal... Joao Havelange would be the Olympic Stadium and Maracana the Ceremonies Stadium.

Perfect designations to me.

Let's see how IOC will work on this.

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

There is no athetic path (I was not waiting for this), but the shape of the field reminds a track and field shape...

Maybe after the World Cup they'll knock out some seats, install a track and surprise everyone. ;)

What is this Aquatics Center that is next to the stadium in the site plans?