The Maracana Cluster

It seems Jim is campaigning for be the new mod.

Jim's rules:

- No more "it seems" or "go away" sentences

- No more "where are you from?" questions

- No more Youtube links

- No more composing lyrics/songs

- No more jokes, sarcastic posts or even double-sense sentences (poor Baron)

- No more discussions about Olympic Games, only his opinions deserves reading.

And in case of not respecting his rules, you can get banned or maybe, you may live a curse for the rest of your days.

Vote Jim.

And if he doesn't win,

a petition online will be enough

to put as mod him.

(Good rhymes again!!!)

New rule: no more rhymes. tongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

*Sigh*

I had my say earlier, and I was going to leave it at that (at least until Jim starts making a dick of himself again).

But ...

Yeah, where does get get off that he is to be accorded special rules that he is to be exempt from having to endure replies to his posts using certain common, and innocent and innocuous. Okay, I have used the ":s" word intentionally to rile him - but then again, it's the only thing he reacts to. And c'mon, his reaction to the word starting and ending in "s and with "eem" in it is just so over the top and contrived. Trying to get him to engage in a proper debate over his posts - or calling him fool, idiot, ridiculous, etc - certainly doesn't raise any engagement out of him. And the "s" word is one I use commonly in many posts anyway - I'm not changing my grammar to tip-toe around his screaming-jeebies faux reaction to deflect him from having to answer any of the real charges made to him.

• 2 weeks later...

All favelas around Maracana stadium and most part of Maracana are now under Police control

Video:

http://video.globo.com/Videos/Player/Noticias/0,,GIM1540818-7823-MORRO+DA+MANGUEIRA+E+OCUPADO+PARA+A+INSTALACAO+DE+MAIS+UMA+UPP,00.html

Hundreds of Brazilian police and marines have swarmed through a Rio favela called Mangueira, renowned as a centre for samba lovers, in the most striking move thus far to "pacify" the city before the 2014 World Cup and 2016 Olympics.

Home to around 53,000 people, Mangueira is the most symbolic shantytown so far to be occupied by the so-called "pacification forces". Famed for producing legendary samba artists such as Cartola, Nelson Cavaquinho and Carlos Cachaça, Mangueira is also home to the city's best-known samba school, the Estação Primeira de Mangueira.

The slum - or favela - is close to Rio's famous Maracana stadium, where the World Cup final will be played.

The pre-dawn operation involved armoured vehicles and helicopters.

According to the newspaper, O Globo, leaflets were thrown out of the helicopters, some with photos of wanted criminals.

A BBC correspondent in Brazil, Paulo Cabral, says most of Mangueira's residents co-operated with the operation, as they want to rid the area of drug dealers.

He says that Rio's authorities are making an effort to gain the trust of those living in the slums, who - after decades of abuse - have got used to seeing the police as their enemy.

Mangueira is the 18th favela that the authorities in Rio have occupied recently.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys take it easy with Jim, he is a Olympic fan and that is what matters, even if we dont agree with his opinions. :)

You reckon? This is his views on the Olympics from SSC:

The Olympics are stupid, especially the Olympics that is gonna be held in Rio de Janeiro.
Edited by Sir Rols

• 3 weeks later...

Maracanazinho Volley court needs NO WORKS for Olympic Games - Said FIVB president.

vol_maracanazinho_vip950.jpg

After a inspection visit, FIVB president approved the venue

FIVB president Cristóbal Marte Hoffiz said Maracanazinho venue needs NO WORKS for the Olympic Games. "It's 100% perfect" - said Cristóbal.

The only suggestion he made is to build a outside temporary space for warm-ups before matches.

Now-a-days Maracanazinho have a maximum capacity of 11,800 seats.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/volei/noticia/2011/08/fivb-aprova-maracanazinho-como-palco-do-volei-em-2016-perfeito.html

(source for the Maracanazinho report)

Maracanazinho Volley court needs NO WORKS for Olympic Games - Said FIVB president.

It still looks good. Was it renovated for the Pan Am Games? Only problem during the Games is the media stand. Does the Maracanazinho have enough facilities for the media or will they use some spectators seats? That will decrease the capacity.

It still looks good. Was it renovated for the Pan Am Games? Only problem during the Games is the media stand. Does the Maracanazinho have enough facilities for the media or will they use some spectators seats? That will decrease the capacity.

Yes, it was renovated for the PanAms.

And probably they will decrease capacity.

No info yet on what they are planning to this very venue.

• 9 months later...

Just nipping into this section of Gamesbids to post some news I read on another forum. Blimey, it's dead in here isn't it? Echo, echo. echo, echo....

Do we have any regular Brazilian posters on this subforum anymore??!! It is so quiet, and so is the Sochi one!!! The Vancouver and London forums were always busy in the years leading up to those Games. Can't say the same about Sochi and Rio!!

Anyway, the news...

Rio sets the colors of the chairs of Maracanã: blue, white and yellow.

The painting will be divided by layers and makes reference to the flag of Brazil. Types of seats will be chosen until the end of this month.

maracana-felipecosta.jpg

maracana_maquete2_felippecosta_95.jpg

In Portuguese: http://globoesporte....s-cadeiras.html

Edited by RobH

Do we have any regular Brazilian posters on this subforum anymore??!! It is so quiet, and so is the Sochi one!!! The Vancouver and London forums were always busy in the years leading up to those Games. Can't say the same about Sochi and Rio!!

Too much useless discussions about stupid rivalries and trolls destroying any pleausure I had in the past to discuss or posting here...

Meanwhile, I'm around as observer and reading...

Ikarus, Gotosy and Bezzi are great posters, they can keep you guys up-to-date on Rio stuff...

See ya back soon!

PS: To find my opinions on Maracana, read my sig =]

• 4 months later...

That's it. And don't forget the large area that will be created across the railway line. Does not appears in the render because each project is responsibility of different governments (state and municipal).

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing video showing how big is Maracana and also how beautiful is the glass studio for early morning news in Rio

http://globotv.globo.com/rede-globo/bom-dia-rio/v/inscricoes-para-a-proxima-visita-guiada-as-obras-do-maracana-estao-abertas/2217271/

• 8 months later...

Rio Olympic stadium to reopen by June

Rio de Janeiro: Rio de Janeiro`s 2016 Olympic athletics stadium will be reopened to the public by mid-2014 under a refurbishment plan approved by local officials.

But the Joao Havelange stadium, known locally as the Engenhao after the neighbourhood in which it is located, will not be fully functional until November 2014.

"The renovation proposal that has been chosen offers the advantage of a shorter interruption period," Rio`s urban development watchdog Riourbe said in a statement on Wednesday.

"It will allow fans to safely attend matches by the first half of next year, while meeting all health and safety guidelines."

The Engenhao was closed in March after an independent engineer`s report showed the venue`s roof could collapse due to structural problems.

Built for the 2007 Pan-American Games, the stadium is set to have its capacity increased from 47,000 to 60,000 to host track and field events at the Rio Olympics.

The iconic Maracana stadium, which was reopened in June after three years of construction work, will host the Games` opening and closing ceremonies as well as the Olympic and Paralympic football tournaments.

The Engenhao`s refurbishment will be undertaken by the Engenhao consortium, formed by Brazilian constructors Odebrecht and OAS.

Work will be supervised by German engineering firm SBP, responsible for identifying the defects in March.

Riourbe added that additional work, unrelated to the roof, will begin in 2015 to meet International Olympic Committee guidelines.

http://in.news.yahoo.com/rio-olympic-stadium-reopen-june-083832751.html

• 2 years later...