The Maracana Cluster

I don't know how old you are, but Maracanã was not always this hot. Before the boxes were built, you could enter the upper ring grand stands from the tunnels or from the top. The circulation area on the top of the upper ring allowed for the air to circulate and the stadium was not very hot for spectators which were not under the shadow of the roof.

With the new roof, the effect of the sun should be less important, since more seats will be covered. Even the trans-lucid cover should be fine, since it is not transparent, thus filtering part of the sun light.

Well, I guess I am old enough to see all the changes they made. First time I was there in '85. I used to go there for a couple of games per year until '97, including the famous '92 Brazilian Championship Final, when the upper bleacher fence collapsed and everyone watched the game standing (the overcrowd was one of the reasons why the fence collapsed) and sweating a lot before the game started. It was VERY hot in the beginning of the afternoon at summer games until 6PM, mostly because of the sun position. After that, the wind used to help to cool down the temperature.

Late night games, on the other hand, were very cool, almost "chilly" (speaking as a Rio native terms).

Hey, Bezzi. Could you send more pictures showing the preps for 2014 and 2016 in Rio? Thanks.

Hi Raphael, each relevant image of Maracanã that I find, I often post here. About the World Cup stadiums, there is a specific topic in the section "Other International Games", which I also keep updated. For now here is one more of Maracana:

maracana_genilsonaraujo950.jpg

It's sad to look Maracana like this. I know the stadium will be great and needed the renovations, but it's pretty sad the Maracana we known for decades has gone. =[

Well, I guess I am old enough to see all the changes they made. First time I was there in '85. I used to go there for a couple of games per year until '97, including the famous '92 Brazilian Championship Final, when the upper bleacher fence collapsed and everyone watched the game standing (the overcrowd was one of the reasons why the fence collapsed) and sweating a lot before the game started. It was VERY hot in the beginning of the afternoon at summer games until 6PM, mostly because of the sun position. After that, the wind used to help to cool down the temperature.

Late night games, on the other hand, were very cool, almost "chilly" (speaking as a Rio native terms).

So, you are probably as old as me. Well, it was not that hot if you chose to sit on the same side of the stands of the VIP seats (cadeira especial), which were under the shadow. On the other side, which recently has been occupied by the white seats, has always been very hot, before the sun went down.

Anyway, I don't know if you have noticed that since they have closed the upper ring with the boxes (camarotes), the stands have become pretty hot even during evening matches.

But as you said, when I was a child, my mother would force me to take a long sleeve shirt to Maracanã. It was really chilly in the evening because of the wind.

Your link has Spam in it.

Here is the real link to the article:

Maracana Stadium article from the New York Times

Cancel all the sports comps and other "useless" stuff and in 2016 just make the Opening Ceremony in Engenhao...

Do it and make a Jim happy!!!

Are you kidding? This would make *Baron* happy! Stupid useless athletes and sports! Only frilly production shows!

The article is a proof of: if we have sh** stadiums but pricey, we are third world country and a crap of civilization as nation with a ruined economy.

If we improve the stadiums (and also quality of life and the economy), we suck because the few poor people left can't afford prices for the soccer matches...

Hey, american media, decide!

Must we be a better country or walking back???

C'mon, go to hell, american dirty media.

And the pic in the picture is really weird... The favela in first plan are kilometers away from Maracana and the angle is the only possible to put "lots of shantytowns around the stadium". Any idiot with a Google Earth see that there is not a circle of favelas around the stadium.

This is a never ending discussion. The fact is that football tickets are going to become much more expensive or Brazilian teams are going to remain raising talents to European clubs. It is a ridiculous point made by people who can't concatenate their thoughts. They wan't the best players to stay, the clubs to be strong, the stadia to be comfortable and safe and the tickets to be cheap. I wonder who is going to pay the high cost of doing everything they wish with such low prices.

Besides, unlike what the article says, it is not the price of the ticket that gets supporters away, it is the opposite. Going to a football stadium in Brazil means going to a dirty, unsafe, uncomfortable venue with the worst infrastructure you can think of. Just stay away from the rest rooms, arrive 2h before the match and run away at the first sight of a fight and it will be fine. It is ridiculous. The reason why people don't go more often is obvious: it is uncomfortable and unsafe. The second reason is that most teams lack attractive players, so the quality of the game is not what a Brazilian would expect.

There are a lot of people who would pay much more than the current ticket prices if they had higher security and comfort standards. That would mean more money for the clubs, which would mean better players and which would mean better football. This will make the machine move making prices higher and having less poor people at the stadium. But that's exactly what happened in Europe from the mid 80's on. There is no escape.

BTW, I don't see the NYT commenting on the professional leagues in the US, which are far from being an every person show. They should do the math. Maracanã will fit around 80.000 people, while the population of Rio metro area is around 12 million. So, it doesn't fit a lot of people. The ones who pay the most are going to be able to watch, the others are going to watch through the TV. That is sport as a business.

• Like 1

Perfect, Aluz...

And now I understand why Mo Rush was so angry with the media before the World Cup.

And the pic in the picture is really weird... The favela in first plan are kilometers away from Maracana and the angle is the only possible to put "lots of shantytowns around the stadium". Any idiot with a Google Earth see that there is not a circle of favelas around the stadium.

Indeed, very around Maracana we have an huge university, one Petrobras building, two malls at Tijuca neighbourhood entrance, a subway and a train station, the Mangueira favela and the Bandeira Square.

Indeed, very around Maracana we have an huge university, one Petrobras building, two malls at Tijuca neighbourhood entrance, a subway and a train station, the Mangueira favela and the Bandeira Square.

These images show well what you said

riodejaneiro4.jpg

riodejaneiro7.jpg

Because the club owning it haven't set up a fire reconstruction plan, there are rumours going around that the Olympic rugby sevens tournament is being moved from the Sao Januario stadium to a smaller stadium. That's gonna suck eggs because a reconstruction of that venue was needed, especially for the Olympics.

Indeed Moça Bonita stadium is gonna be the rugby venue.

Not confirmed. Until Vasco da Gama formally pulls out, São Januário is the official rugby venue. By the way, São Januário falls within the 4 cluster concept, while Moça Bonita would require special logistics to host the Games.

Great, Rob!!!

And during the matches he will not attend, IT SEEMS Jim can be at hotel counting room doors to check if the hotel do have 500+ rooms...

Please, guys, any link with the news about replacing Sao Januario???