The Maracana Cluster

Anyway, Rio will be test for this new way of doing things. I agree with you that if Maracana-two-stadium-thing won't work well, this will be never repeated and Rio will go down in history as the worst ever, but think otherwise, if logistics works well... Maybe a new standard can be set.

I doubt it to be honest Danny. It's such a unique set of circumstances in Rio; the city has a huge existing stadium and their Olympic stadium is one of the smallest in recent decades. Most cities won't have those two factors forcing a two stadium plan into operation.

I'm not necessarily saying it won't work in Rio, just that I can't see it setting any kind of precedent.

• Like 1

Actually, all of Brazil is deluded, If you think Brazil won because it had the best bid. Brazil won for political reasons (and huge crying and whining by Brazil). The best thing is, that after 2016 it will probably be more than 100 years before Brazil hosts again. Just like Greece!

Really, that's the level of your discussion now is it OTO? We all know - including Brazilians - Rio won for political reasons and more intangible reasons (including scenery, the appeal of a new continent and a different culture etc) rather than having technically the best bid, but do you really have to be an arse about it?

Why is the "best thing" about it that Brazil won't host again for ages? You obviously have a good understanding of things in this topic and in other topics (and Danny and I have agreed with a lot of what you've said regarding the stadiums), but you can't seem to discuss things like a normal human being. That's a shame really, I mean that.

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

We all know - including Brazilians - Rio won for political reasons and more intangible reasons (including scenery, the appeal of a new continent and a different culture etc) rather than having technically the best bid, but do you really have to be an arse about it?

I don't know, maybe you should explain this to Danny, one more time.

Why is the "best thing" about it that Brazil won't host again for ages?

Watching Danny jump up and down while his face turns red, and steam comes out of his ears is fun. ;)

I doubt it to be honest Danny. It's such a unique set of circumstances in Rio; the city has a huge existing stadium and their Olympic stadium is one of the smallest in recent decades. Most cities won't have those two factors forcing a two stadium plan into operation.

I'm not necessarily saying it won't work in Rio, just that I can't see it setting any kind of precedent.

You can be right, RobH, but, talking about the traditions, if IOC wants to keep traditions, it's simple: they should already said a huge NO to Rio plans and it's over. Somehow, they are testing something new.

I, as you and our dear friend OTO, thinks that probably this won't happen again soon and/or often. But If Rio do this, sometime in the future other host city (by any reason) can use this plan too. wink.gif

• Like 2

When I said Rio won by having the best project? I've already said IMO Madrid had the best overall bid, but with weakness and strong points (just as Rio).

I'm not stupid. And, believe me, I'm even more glad that politics was a major factor for Brazilian victory. How it was good to see Obama and America's disappointment... biggrin.gif

Indeed, talking about some Americans arrogants (just like you, not like the most part of the country), you told that Brazil will not host the games in the future 100 years. And you're probably right. And also probably Brazil will wait at least 60 years or more to bid again.

It's not Brazilian to be that arrogant to think we can host the Summer Games each 12 years, like some brother-country north of us. wink.gif

See the example of World Cup... We waited 64 years to host it again, and believe me, if Brazil wants to host it every 16-20 years, we have political power on FIFA to do it so.

but you can't seem to discuss things like a normal human being. That's a shame really

Well, see his reputations points... He is as popular as Hitler.

• Like 2

When I said Rio won by having the best project? I've already said IMO Madrid had the best overall bid, but with weakness and strong points (just as Rio).

I'm not stupid. And, believe me, I'm even more glad that politics was a major factor for Brazilian victory. How it was good to see Obama and America's disappointment... biggrin.gif

Indeed, talking about some Americans arrogants (just like you, not like the most part of the country), you told that Brazil will not host the games in the future 100 years. And you're probably right. And also probably Brazil will wait at least 60 years or more to bid again.

It's not Brazilian to be that arrogant to think we can host the Summer Games each 12 years, like some brother-country north of us. wink.gif

See the example of World Cup... We waited 64 years to host it again, and believe me, if Brazil wants to host it every 16-20 years, we have political power on FIFA to do it so.

Well, see his reputations points... He is as popular as Hitler.

Well at least SOMONE admits the "reputation" points are nothing but a grade school popularity contest.

Somehow, they are testing something new.

Somehow they are giving Rio a pass. Like, affirmative action for Olympic Bid Cities.

Get off your crutch.

• Like 1

Well at least SOMONE admits the "reputation" points are nothing but a grade school popularity contest.

Fine, Adolph. biggrin.gif

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The tender of Maracana is over. The contract is already signed and Odebrecht, who won the bid, will start the works next week. On monday the entire lower sector of stands will be closed and the capacity will be reduced to 45000. The stadium should be closed completely in October or December.

The tender of Maracana is over. The contract is already signed and Odebrecht, who won the bid, will start the works next week. On monday the entire lower sector of stands will be closed and the capacity will be reduced to 45000. The stadium should be closed completely in October or December.

Good news, let's hope no bureaucracy measures delays the works.

• Like 1

I assume that means the final design is now in place and the entire scope of works for the precinct?

Actually that means that construction will start anytime in the next 2 weeks. The design has been ready for over 2 months now.

Little has released to the public, but here is some information that I have aboutthe project.

The construction of Maracanã started today. The first phase of works is expected to last 50 days (demolition of inferior seats). The companies committed to keep the deadline set by FIFA for delivery the stadium in December 2012. Within 15 days there will be a website were people can follow the progress of works, timeline, photographs and works of the situation in real time. The works will cost about 700 million (reais). The entire lower sector will be remade, following the inclination of the upper seats and will be closer to the field. Will be installed new seats, new bathrooms, restaurants, new media sector and two new VIP areas. The old VIP sector will be demolished to make way for a large circulation area. Will be also built two new access ramps that will help reduce evacuation time from 20 to 12 minutes. The capacity of public will be reduced from the current 86.000 to 76.500 seats.

There was no render yet that shows in detail the improvements that will be made at the Maracana. There is only an sketch of how the roof will be visually:

rjex.jpg

The EMOP (the company contracted by the government) has developed just the technical project. But few of these hundreds of technical drawings were published.

imagem1law.jpg

The project has changed regarding the demolition of the athletics and swimming stadiums. The pool will be temporarily covered, used for installation of the hospitality tents (required by FIFA). The same will happen with the athletics track (as happened during the PANAM). There is no need to destroy these facilities.

Mex2-0EUA_Fachada.jpg

Across the line, will also be installed tents. The parking now will be distributed in these areas in yellow below. Here is most recent images:

2912010-172520-3.jpg

2912010-173557-1.jpg

These images shows how the stands and new roof will be:

2912010-172521-7.jpg

imagem2yqk.jpg

I'm hoping that the Odebrecht (winner of the tender) produce a render that show mainly the inside of the stadium, where will be concentrated the most of the improvements.

This is the last image released:

maraca6.jpg

It is unfortunate that the Olympic Flame wont be burning in the Athletics stadium. Somehow that is something iconic and memorable, seeing the cauldron framed with sports taking place.

Now the flame will be located in an empty stadium that will only see football finals on day 15?

The Athletics stadium has always been the flagship venue in all summer OCs, and the 'heart' of the olympic park.

There also seems to be no olympic park. The lack of an 'Olympic Park' also means that there wont be a concentrated 'atmosphere' that is so critical to the success of the games. Outside the actual sports, it is the 'carnival like' atmosphere that surrounds the stadiums that creates the feeling of what the Olympics is.

Of course Winter OGs have always had spread out venues, but then again - this is the Summer OG which is in a totally different league! Of course that being said, i'm sure the Brazilians will throw an excellent party atmosphere.

It is unfortunate that the Olympic Flame wont be burning in the Athletics stadium. Somehow that is something iconic and memorable, seeing the cauldron framed with sports taking place.

Now the flame will be located in an empty stadium that will only see football finals on day 15?

The Athletics stadium has always been the flagship venue in all summer OCs, and the 'heart' of the olympic park.

There also seems to be no olympic park. The lack of an 'Olympic Park' also means that there wont be a concentrated 'atmosphere' that is so critical to the success of the games. Outside the actual sports, it is the 'carnival like' atmosphere that surrounds the stadiums that creates the feeling of what the Olympics is.

Of course Winter OGs have always had spread out venues, but then again - this is the Summer OG which is in a totally different league! Of course that being said, i'm sure the Brazilians will throw an excellent party atmosphere.

The Olympic Park will be placed in Barra da Tijuca cluster with many sports been played there, from swimming to basketball, tennis.

Indeed, the name was already chosen: Armando Nogueira Olympic Park, in honor to one of the biggest Brazilian sports journalist, died in 2009.

Pics of the Olympic Park plans: http://www.rio2016.org.br/en/Galeria/Imagens/Default.aspx

And the video showing how it will look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrcYBHIt-Vs

I think there will be two cauldrons. One in Maracana stadium, for the ceremonies and other in the Olympic Park... Maybe a third in the Joao Havelange Olympic Stadium.

Vancouver 2010 had something similar. Probably IOC will require the same.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Oh i see. Thanks for that youtube video and links.

...But Athletics and the ceremonies, the two most high profile elements of the games are not at the olympic park?? :(

It's like having a 'capital city' but the parliament and presidential palace is not located there LOL...

I suppose a multiple cauldron situation might be the simple solution.... but that really, really sucks! It's so dilutive and ruins the whole concept of the 'flame'. I have yet to see a multiple cauldron situation that works. Most winter games that had multiple cauldrons, including the most recent Vancouver's was simply ambiguous, confusing, unmemorable and awful!

In Vancouver, we all remember the glitchy indoor one, the outdoor one with the barricades and hmmm, like were there two? no in actual fact, three! One more in whistler! But no one remembers exactly where, how or when.

No multiple cauldrons please!!!!

....maybe the best will be to have a really huge cauldron high up in the mountains and then it will be visible from many parts of the city, just like the Christ Statue!

Edited by ceezeelee