The Maracana Cluster

If 3-7km away can form a cluster, then in Cape Town we could have lots of venues in a "cluster".

Indeed, it is not a proper cluster. The reason for it is that JH Stadium does not fit in any clusters. The Maracanã cluster is the bundle of the existing venues that lie on the North Side of Rio. Since it includes many large venues, it was included in the plan. However, if you remove JH Stadium you have a 3km-side triangle, which means something around 1,5 km radius. It is pretty compact and it is well connected.

Copacabana cluster is also spread out. The reason is the same, since the Gloria Marina (on the edge of the Flamengo Park) and the Rodrigo de Freitas Lake were included in the cluster. In reality, it is just the inclusion of 2 existing venues (rowing/canoeing and sailing) with the events to be held in the Copacabana beach (open water swimming, thriathlon and volleyball). Besides, many of the events that have produced the size of the cluster are long length competitions such as road cycling, thriathlon, walk and marathon. Most of them will be held by racing from the Copacabana beach to the Flamengo Park.

However, the Deodoro and Barra clusters are really compact, with several events being held within a 1 or 2 km radius.

All my comments were marked thumbs down...

Gosh, I'll kill myself tongue.gif

Seriously speaking, if someone have problems with me, be brave enough and PM me...

I'm sure all problems will be solved.

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 2

I see all the views but a cluster has a purpose. i.e. to reduce the security and other logistical resources, which a spread out concept requires. making planning very difficult.

If there are no synergies or "economies of scale" offered by a cluster well then its not really a cluster but a "Zone".

Basic requirements would be that venue are within a reasonable radius but more importantly that they ARE linked, through dedicated lanes, s.t. it is essentially a well connected space, not only from other clusters but within the cluster.

Spectators should be able to arrive the "Cluster Transport Hub" and then easily transfer between venues withing that cluster, or even walk.

I have superimposed Rio's plan to a Cape Town cluster plan and will share it later.

I see all the views but a cluster has a purpose. i.e. to reduce the security and other logistical resources, which a spread out concept requires. making planning very difficult.

If there are no synergies or "economies of scale" offered by a cluster well then its not really a cluster but a "Zone".

Basic requirements would be that venue are within a reasonable radius but more importantly that they ARE linked, through dedicated lanes, s.t. it is essentially a well connected space, not only from other clusters but within the cluster.

Spectators should be able to arrive the "Cluster Transport Hub" and then easily transfer between venues withing that cluster, or even walk.

I have superimposed Rio's plan to a Cape Town cluster plan and will share it later.

I agree with you, the name Zone would be better than cluster.

Indeed, in Portuguese they used Região (region) in the official stuff and video.

• Like 2

You don't need a track for the Olympic ceremonies. Just a marching path.

Maracana can't do what Stade de France did because SdF was designed in the 1990s with a movable, reconfigurable seating plan. Maracana was built in the 1950s and is static.

• Like 1

(ATR) Rio 2016 organizers are believed to be on the verge of seeking venue changes for four sports as well as media facilities.

The move would be proposed next week when the IOC Coordination Commission visits next week for its first visit since Rio de Janeiro won the Games last October.

The possibility of venue changes is widely reported in the Brazilian press and winning editorial support.

Mayor Edouard Paes is pushing hardest for the changes that would be part of the massive redevelopment of the decaying port district in the north of the city.

While the mayor isn’t bashful about the plan, Rio 2016 president Carlos Nuzman was careful in his comments when asked by Around the Rings about the proposal.

“This will be studied,” is all he would say when asked about the possibility last week just prior to his report on Rio progress at the Pan American Sports Organization assembly in Merida, Mexico.

Badminton, boxing, table tennis and weightlifting venues, all indoor arena events, are reported to be the sports being considered to move. About 1500 athletes would be affected.

Currently these sports are located in the western suburb of Barra da Tijuca, where the Olympic Village would also be built. That’s about about 30km from the port district, raising immediate issues for athlete transportation.

Venue travel times would increase as much as 400 percent according to one calculation. Currently athletes in the four sports are seven minutes from their venues at the Barra village. A move to the port would increase travel times to 38 minutes.

Also mentioned in the venue changes is construction of the media center and media village. It is not clear whether this might be a secondary MMC and village or the entire operation in Barra proposed in the Rio bid. If it’s the entire media center and village, as many as 15,000 media representatives would be affected.

Felipe Góes, secretary for Rio development, predicts travel time will cause the biggest debate with IOC.

“They like concentration because that makes the overall operation easier. But we have to defend the legacy to the future”, he said.

Nevertheless the municipality is optimistic about the receptiveness of the IOC.

Goés pointed out that the IOC has accepted venue changes in the past.

“London changed a lot of its original plan. Barcelona had a similar case, where the decision of placing the Olympic Village in the port region was negotiated with the IOC after the city won the dispute to host the games”.

The venue changes have been mentioned during the bidding for the Games, but were left out of the final application file.

Along with the IOC, Rio 2016 would need to consult and win international federation approval for any venue changes. The IOC Press Commission would need to weigh-in on changes for media. If the International Broadcast Center is also involved, the rights holding broadcasters would also need to be consulted. For Vancouver 2010, the IBC was moved from Richmond to the new convention center built next to the Main Media Centre, a change made six years before the Games.

http://aroundtherings.com/articles/view.aspx?id=34749

Let's see if Rio shows themselves to be complete idiots and does this.

I think IOC will not approve this... I hope so. I'm against moving venues.

OTO, please, be more polite, or I'm already asking moderator to check your behaviour here. I'm tired of your offensive posts.

Once more you are calling all cariocas idiots, when only few people wants to do this changes. Rio can propose all changes it wants, and this can not necessarily can be approved by IOC.

You should behave better here...

38 minutes! 5-10 minutes extra maybe, but 38 minutes is just ridiculous.

Its already 25 minutes to the Opening Ceremony for all athletes and track and field athletes for their events.

I don't think IOC will approve this... Many many people in Rio are against this idea of moving lots of venues to port area.

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 2

I think IOC will not approve this... I hope so. I'm against moving venues.

OTO, please, be more polite, or I'm already asking moderator to check your behaviour here. I'm tired of your offensive posts.

Once more you are calling all cariocas idiots, when only few people wants to do this changes. Rio can propose all changes it wants, and this can not necessarily can be approved by IOC.

You should behave better here...

I don't think IOC will approve this... Many many people in Rio are against this idea of moving lots of venues to port area.

You need to grow a thicker skin. People have said a lot worse around here. Trust me. And who the hell said all "Cariocas"? When I say Rio, I mean "Rio 2016" or whatever the hell their going to call themselves.

You need to grow a thicker skin. People have said a lot worse around here. Trust me. And who the hell said all "Cariocas"? When I say Rio, I mean "Rio 2016" or whatever the hell their going to call themselves.

It's not because some other people said bad things you can do it too...

You know what you said. Your behaviour is just disgusting here. Trust me, I'm not the only to think like this...

We try to make a serious discussions, but, you simply can't join us. You need to show your angry against everything you don't agree (not only about Rio 2016, your behaviour is also non-sense in other threads, it's notorious how you are boring).

And sorry "Let's see if Rio shows themselves to be complete idiots and does this." is very different than "Rio 2016 committee is..." I'm not and English fluently speaker, but I'm not idiot. I understand what you meant to say.

Indeed, this request to change venues was made by Rio de Janeiro City Hall, not by Rio population or Rio 2016 commitee... So, first of all, get informed.

• Like 1

I'm all for the Port Area upgrade, they just need to figure out how to get athletes to the site without major travel times.

Why not use a fleet of helicopters between venues?

It's an idea, but how many helicopters should Rio 2016 rent? I think this would increase a lot the expenses.

• Like 2

It's not because some other people said bad things you can do it too...

You know what you said. Your behaviour is just disgusting here. Trust me, I'm not the only to think like this...

We try to make a serious discussions, but, you simply can't join us. You need to show your angry against everything you don't agree (not only about Rio 2016, your behaviour is also non-sense in other threads, it's notorious how you are boring).

And sorry "Let's see if Rio shows themselves to be complete idiots and does this." is very different than "Rio 2016 committee is..." I'm not and English fluently speaker, but I'm not idiot. I understand what you meant to say.

Indeed, this request to change venues was made by Rio de Janeiro City Hall, not by Rio population or Rio 2016 commitee... So, first of all, get informed.

Yeah I know what I said. If you think I said something else it's your problem and not mine.

Stop being such an over sensitive cry baby. Or are all Brazilians so insecure? ;)

And Rio 2016 has the choice to go along with the move of the venues....or not.

I'm all for the Port Area upgrade, they just need to figure out how to get athletes to the site without major travel times.

Why not use a fleet of helicopters between venues?

We can fly them over from the Jacarepaguá Airport (5 km from the OV) to the Santos Dumont airport (2 km from the Port). The only problem is that we can't use big jets. Jacarepaguá is for executive airplanes and Santos Dumont can only support jets the size of a Boeing 737. It's an idea...

We can fly them over from the Jacarepaguá Airport (5 km from the OV) to the Santos Dumont airport (2 km from the Port). The only problem is that we can't use big jets. Jacarepaguá is for executive airplanes and Santos Dumont can only support jets the size of a Boeing 737. It's an idea...

Or build another express subway line.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

IOC agreed Rio to integrate the degraded port area to 2016 Project, but limited the changes to be made to plan original.

Rio project managers and an IOC commission explained in a press conference that area will host the part of the press and referees villages

In addition, port warehouses will host a center for non-accredited journalists and several centers of coordinate operations, volunteers, logistics and distribution of credentials.

However, the IOC categorically vetoed the aspirations of the Mayor to move to port some sports venues, most of which are concentrated in the remote district of Barra da Tijuca, about 40 miles from downtown.

Río de Janeiro integra la degradada área del puerto en el proyecto olímpico

Por Agencia EFE

Río de Janeiro, 20 may (EFE).- El Comité Olímpico Internacional (COI) respaldó hoy a Río de Janeiro para que integre en el proyecto de los Juegos de 2016 la degradada área del puerto, aunque limitó las modificaciones que se harán al plan original.

Los responsables del proyecto carioca y una comisión del COI explicaron en una rueda de prensa que en esa zona se ubicarán parte de las villas en las que se alojarán la prensa y los árbitros.

Además, los almacenes del puerto albergarán un centro para periodistas no acreditados y varias unidades desde las que se coordinarán las operaciones, los voluntarios, la logística y la distribución de acreditaciones.

En cambio, el COI vetó tajantemente las aspiraciones de la Alcaldía de trasladar al puerto algunas instalaciones deportivas, que en su mayoría se concentran en el distante barrio de Barra da Tijuca, a unos 40 kilómetros del centro.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/epa/article/ALeqM5iqallCXmWiEVhGQMAVmuIFBxEWpA

The IOC vetoed it, interesting. Does that happen often if a host requests venue changes? They were very accommodating for all of London's changes, though none of them seemed anywhere near as major as what the Mayor of Rio is proposing. Perhaps that's the reason.

Visitors to Rio are going to go to the port area and downtown regardless of whether there are sports venues there.... of course, there is also the planned live site at Quinta da Boa Vista. It's just like people visiting Copacabana when they go to Rio, and even there, the venues are temporary and are located there mainly for the iconic value of Pão de Açúcar and Corcovado. Developing the port is great for Rio even without moving more competitions over there, because it will still provide better amenities for visitors.

The IOC vetoed it, interesting. Does that happen often if a host requests venue changes? They were very accommodating for all of London's changes, though none of them seemed anywhere near as major as what the Mayor of Rio is proposing. Perhaps that's the reason.

The plan was ridiculous. Moving those sports would put 1500 athletes which would walk from the OV to their venues through a 40-minute travel to the Port. Besides, it would leave all the media 40 minutes away from most of the venues, the OV, the IBC and the MPC. Terrible plan.

What will end up in the Port are residencies for referees, as before, and the Press Center and housing for the journalists with no credentials. That means the ones who have no access to the venues and competitions, but only work on news and articles about the city life, live sites and so on.

IMO, the Mayor knew it was absurd, but agree to present it to avoid future criticism. After Rio won the Games, the IAB (Brazilian Architecture Institute) started to make a big fuss about moving events to the port to benefit the city even further. Paes let them carry this idea, build the plan and accepted the rejection. Now, if anyone tries to blame for this, he can say it was the IOC. He was politically smart.

The plan was ridiculous. Moving those sports would put 1500 athletes which would walk from the OV to their venues through a 40-minute travel to the Port. Besides, it would leave all the media 40 minutes away from most of the venues, the OV, the IBC and the MPC. Terrible plan.

As I said before I thought IOC should not change a piece in the Rio plans... Indeed, thank god, they vetoed the crazy-stupid plan made by mayor Paes.

And another message made by IOC was very clear.

IOC Gilbert Felli said that he is happy that all the venus are "already chosen and secured".

- "No changes will be done in the plans presented in Copenhagen."

So, the ceremonies will happen in Maracana Stadium. Period.

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1