Sports: Volleyball

Engenhao Stadium

Capacity: 60,000

Events: Athletics

The Sambodromo

Capacity: 36,000

Events: Archery

Maracana is expected for Football finals and ceremonies

Sambadrome is expected also for the marathon start and finish.

• Like 2

I tried to conceal the information about the ceremonies and the marathon because I think something is wrong with the plan. The ceremonies should not be in the football stadium, but instead at the athletics stadium because that might be a crazy idea to hold Olympic ceremonies in a trackless stadium. And the Marathon should start at the Sambodromo, but instead of finishing at the same venue, it should go through the Maracana Stadium and finish in the Joao Havelange Stadium.

I tried to conceal the information about the ceremonies and the marathon because I think something is wrong with the plan. The ceremonies should not be in the football stadium, but instead at the athletics stadium because that might be a crazy idea to hold Olympic ceremonies in a trackless stadium. And the Marathon should start at the Sambodromo, but instead of finishing at the same venue, it should go through the Maracana Stadium and finish in the Joao Havelange Stadium.

Ok, you don't like, I don't like and OTO thinks all South America sucks because of it.

But 'til now, this is official... Marathon in sambadrome and ceremonies in Maracana, you like it or you don't...

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

Danny is right. Besides, Maracanã is bigger and easier to get to than Engenhão will ever be given how the transportation plan is currently shapped. Given that the ceremonies are (if I'm not mistaken) the highest priced event of the Games, having them on Engenhão would mean 25,000 tickets not sold and huge profit loss for the OCOG. Still, I'd love to see them taking place in a stadium that's a 5 minute walk away from my home ;)

So its totally impossible to add a track to Maracana?

But then you lost out on the large capacity for the ceremonies.

Adding a track would make it unfit for football matches as far as FIFA pitch-size standards go, I believe. They'd have to reduce the playing area or use the space around the field and pit surrounding it, but I doubt there would be enough room for a proper track.

Edited by Dinhu4ever

Ok, you don't like, I don't like and OTO thinks all South America sucks because of it.

:D

Danny is right. Besides, Maracanã is bigger and easier to get to than Engenhão will ever be given how the transportation plan is currently shapped. Given that the ceremonies are (if I'm not mistaken) the highest priced event of the Games, having them on Engenhão would mean 25,000 tickets not sold and huge profit loss for the OCOG. Still, I'd love to see them taking place in a stadium that's a 5 minute walk away from my home ;)

So its totally impossible to add a track to Maracana?

But then you lost out on the large capacity for the ceremonies.

Adding a track would make it unfit for football matches as far as FIFA pitch-size standards go, I believe. They'd have to reduce the playing area or use the space around the field and pit surrounding it, but I doubt there would be enough room for a proper track.

Rio, Rio, Rio... :rolleyes:

Unless they do the same as Stade de France did for World Athletics Championship in 2003

paris205jpg.jpg

stadedefrance_tribunes_124818375148179600.jpg

I think it would be possible (maybe I'm wrong) if Maracana's tribunes were renovated from inside to be adapted for any of those sports.

Unless they do the same as Stade de France did for World Athletics Championship in 2003

I think it would be possible (maybe I'm wrong) if Maracana's tribunes were renovated from inside to be adapted for any of those sports.

I think even the higher tribune is near enough to avoid it...

Rio, Rio, Rio... :rolleyes:

OTO, OTO, OTO... rolleyes.gif

If it's sooooooooooo goddam important for Maracana to host the OC's and CC's put a freaking track in there and send football over to Engenhao or whatever the hell it's called, instead. You can't have everything.

Rio 2016: Wants to have it's cake, and eat it too!

If it's sooooooooooo goddam important for Maracana to host the OC's and CC's put a freaking track in there and send football over to Engenhao or whatever the hell it's called, instead. You can't have everything.

Rio 2016: Wants to have it's cake, and eat it too!

I'll be patient... I will...

Maracana can not fit a track since, it's oval shape ends exaclty in the size of a soccer field...

But, they can put a smaller track for the ceremonies, just like PanAms... It was made a "smaller" track for the ahtletes and the ceremonies went OK.

Did you watched the Rio 2007 OC, OTO?

My fear is about Olympic Games have much much more athletes than PanAms...

Check this pic out, you'll undestand the "put an official track there" issue:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f7/Maracana_L.jpg

The edge of the soccer field is the end of the tribunes. I can't see how to put a official track there...

Engenhao was already built to have those removable tribunes, like Stade de France, if they want to quit the track and extend JH for Soccer, they can make JH a 80,000 seat stadium (thats not the case).

I think there should be 7 stadia in Rio:

1. one for the Opening Ceremony

2. a 2nd one for Athletix

3. a 3rd just for dress rehearsals

4. a 4th for the Football finals

5. a 5th for CLosing Ceremony

6. a 6th for the Paralympics Opening; and

7. a 7th for the Paralympics Closing.

I really hope no Brazilian politician read you plan... B)

• Like 1

I think there should be 7 stadia in Rio:

1. one for the Opening Ceremony

2. a 2nd one for Athletix

3. a 3rd just for dress rehearsals

4. a 4th for the Football finals

5. a 5th for CLosing Ceremony

6. a 6th for the Paralympics Opening; and

7. a 7th for the Paralympics Closing.

Shouldn't we add another one for the Marathon? You know, so that nobody is feeling left out. :P

That's Brazil's problem.

Probably, about the seats, we will have something like PanAms OC, which indeed, was a good OC...

It was tested before, worked and Honourable IOC President Jacques Rogges was at Maracana at that day!

So, probably he think there is no problems on having OC in Maracana stadium... (And I think this too, but I prefer ceremonis in a olympic shaped stadium)

• Like 1

Probably, about the seats, we will have something like PanAms OC, which indeed, was a good OC...

It was tested before, worked and Honourable IOC President Jacques Rogges was at Maracana at that day!

So, probably he think there is no problems on having OC in Maracana stadium... (And I think this too, but I prefer ceremonis in a olympic shaped stadium)

Lame.

What is the distance between each of the venues in this "cluster"

Maracanã (football and OCs) is kind of in the center of the cluster and Maracanãzinho (volleyball) is in the same place. The other venues are JH Stadium (athletics), which is 7 km away, and Sambódromo (archery and end of the marathon) which is around 2,5 km away. If São Januário is confirmed as the Rugby 7 venue, it will be around 3km away.

By the way, yesterday a proposal to move some new venues to the Port (near Cidade do Samba) was also proposed. They would also be in the Maracanã cluster, around 3.6 km away.

What is the distance between each of the venues in this "cluster"

Well, the Sambadrome (archery/marathon) is about 3,5km away from Maracanã, João Havelange Stadium (athletics) is about 7km and Maracanãzinho (volleyball) arena is in the Maracanã Sports Complex.

Edited by Dinhu4ever