Golf venue

Bezzi, you seem angry for some reason. I just don't like favelas... Do you allow me to show my discontent with such thing?

Anyway, isn't this golf course beautiful?

It's amazingly beautiful because, as I said, it doesn't even look like it's in Rio, since there are no favelas around ran by paramilitary groups. So less chance of an athlete being hit with a "lost bullet" which is common in sites surrounded by favelas ran by paramilitary groups.

See? I bet you thought I was going to criticize the golf course... Shame on you.

Bezzi, you seem angry for some reason. I just don't like favelas... Do you allow me to show my discontent with such thing?

It's amazingly beautiful because, as I said, it doesn't even look like it's in Rio, since there are no favelas around ran by paramilitary groups. So less chance of an athlete being hit with a "lost bullet" which is common in sites surrounded by favelas ran by paramilitary groups.

See? I bet you thought I was going to criticize the golf course... Shame on you.

About the golf course itself I have no opinion since I know about golf just the same you think you know about the "common lost bullets" around the city of Rio.

;)

Land fight threatens Olympic golf

A LAND dispute is threatening construction of the golf course for the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.

The 2016 Games will be the first time gold is played at the Olympics since 1904.

Rio de Janeiro officials might have to find a new site, meaning the project would start from scratch and possibly not be ready on time for test events in 2015.

The city said it just became aware of the situation on Thursday and is "evaluating the measures it will take."

It is the first time the city officially recognised there could be an issue involving the land.

It had been dismissing the prospect of a legal dispute and downplaying problems affecting the course.

A final decision on who owns the golf course land could take months or several years.

There are ownership disputes throughout the posh Barra da Tijuca neighbourhood, and few are resolved quickly.

American designer Gil Hanse, who will build the course, said he had not yet been notified by city officials about the dispute.

"If it was important, they would probably bring it up," Hanse said.

"We've been selected to do that particular job and we feel comfortable with the time frame that we have."

Hanse said he isn't worried but acknowledged that any changes now could affect the project, which was based entirely on the land under dispute.

"If they decided for whatever reason to make changes, you would have to start all over again," he said.

"Our design is specifically for that site. You can't just put it someplace else."

The matter is in the hands of Brazil's Higher Court of Justice.

Golf was reinstated in a vote by the International Olympic Committee in 2009 and has a spot guaranteed in 2020, but a good impression in Rio will be critical in keeping the sport in the Games.

News.com.au

Edited by Sir Rols

Then you wouldn't be an expert but you'd know a lot about Golf.

Please do not force me to post shocking videos from youtube.

Be my guest...

Man, I couldn't care less about the repercussion of your videos in a obscure Forum in the internet...

What will it cause? Nothing.

Nobody here will come or give up to come to Rio in 2016 because of your post...

So... Keep participating...

Sad about the golf course, but it's true. If this dispute enters the judiciary system, forget this site for the Olympic Games.

Anyway, if this site is not available for the Golf course, a new one will be pointed... I hope somewhere as nice as this one.

I can only do my part as a citizen: warn visitors about the situation in Rio. If they want to come and test their luck then what can I do?

I know I'll sleep well knowing I warned our good friends from gamesbids.

Btw, if anything else fails the governor, who's a corrupt son of a bitch, btw, can just expropriate the land.

• 4 weeks later...

So has anyone seen the dispute over the land for the golf course? One of the claimants of the land has gone to court to seek out an injunction from preventing any construction/building of the course to take place. Rio wasn't able to provide any of the contracts which hadn't yet been completed... If this stays in the courts, they're screwed are they not with no plan B? What are the chances that the organizing committee will be able to find an alternative? There is no plan B?!

Rio 2016 score legal victory over golf course as IOC Coordination Commission visit begins

June 4 - Rio 2016 officials have received a boost by scoring an important victory in a legal dispute over land for the disputed golf course as the International Olympic Committee's (IOC) Coordination Commission begun its latest visit to the Brazilian city.

A judge in Rio de Janeiro ruled that he would not annul contracts and block construction on disputed land for the golf course at Reserva de Marapendi in Barra da Tijuca.

Elmway Participacoes asked the judge to block the deal after the city of Rio de Janeiro said it did not have any contracts signed over the area even though it announced earlier this year that it reached an agreement with the developer claiming ownership.

The city was served a search warrant for the contracts last month but said they do not exist because the golf course will be a private undertaking.

The judge denied the request made by Elmway Participacoes, saying that the current owner can use the area while a higher court decides on the ownership.

Judge Joao Felipe Nunes Ferreira Mourao said in his ruling that since there was no legal decision yet on Elmway's attempt to claim ownership of the property, developer Pasquale Mauro was allowed to make deals involving the land, including the one to build the golf course.

The city announced in March the agreement it made with Mauro and a local construction company to have the course built on the land.

The city said it would alter some of the building requirements in the area and, in exchange, Mauro and the construction company would pay for the $30 million (£19.5 million/€24 million) course.

Sergio Antunes Lima Jr, the lawyer for Elmway Participacoes claimed he would appeal.

More: Insidethegames

• 1 month later...

Tiger Woods hoping to compete at golf in 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics

Tiger Woods has a short-term goal of winning The Open this week – and a long-term one of claiming Olympic gold in Rio de Janeiro in 2016.

"I hope I can qualify," said Woods on Tuesday when asked about golf's return to the Games after an absence of more than 100 years. "I'll be 40 by then. It will be something that I've never experienced and I would love to be able to have a chance to represent my country."

Golf, which lost out in an earlier bid to be included in London this summer, has decided on 60-man and 60-woman fields for Brazil in four years' time.

The medals will be contested by the world's top 15, and then rankings would be used to determine the leading two players from different countries, so Woods would currently qualify on two counts – he is America's highest-ranked player and fourth in the world.

http://www.guardian....s?newsfeed=true

• 2 months later...

Grandson of Brazilian Olympic medalist picked to design clubhouse of 2016 golf course

An architect who is the grandson of a Brazilian Olympic medalist has been selected to design the clubhouse of the golf course for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games.

Pedro Evora is the 34-year-old grandson of Affonso Evora, a point guard on the Brazilian men’s basketball team that won the bronze medal in 1948.

Pedro Evora’s design beat more than 50 projects that entered the bidding process, which was open to young architects who graduated in the last 15 years.

He said the clubhouse will be an “open space, with full contact with nature, integrated with the landscape,” and that players will have a “unique experience.”

Fellow Brazilian Pedro Rivera is a co-author of the project.

American Gil Hanse will design the course, which will mark golf’s return to the Olympics after more than 100 years.

AP

http://www.washingto...36b2_story.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Work begins on clearing 2016 Olympic golf course site, after delays over legal dispute

RIO DE JANEIRO — Work has finally begun on the 2016 Olympic golf course after delays caused by a legal dispute over ownership of the site.

The organizing committee for the Rio de Janeiro Games said on Wednesday that clearing work had begun to remove “non-native vegetation” after a permit was issued by the city. Construction is set to begin in April and Carlos Nuzman, head of the organizing committee, said the course would be ready for a test event in 2015.

The move should come as a relief to the International Olympic Committee, which has repeatedly downplayed the ongoing legal dispute but was officially notified about it by court officials during a recent inspection visit to Rio. Two different companies have claimed ownership of the land, with one having announced plans to build a housing complex there instead.

“We are delighted that work has begun on the golf venue and we remain on track to deliver the golf course for a test event in 2015 as scheduled,” Nuzman said in a statement.

The course is being designed by American Gil Hanse. The 2016 Games will mark the first time golf has appeared in the Olympics since 1904 in St. Louis.

“We are very excited and pleased to have begun the initial clearing of the site,” Hanse said. “It is the start of a long process to transform this property into a beautiful golf course, and we are happy to get started.”

Work on the course was to have started six months ago, and organizers have said the delay was not related to the legal case.

The course will be built in an area of Rio called Barra, about 5 kilometers (3 miles) from the athletes’ village.

AP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympics/work-begins-on-clearing-2016-olympic-golf-course-site-after-delays-over-legal-dispute/2013/03/20/5d399efc-9185-11e2-9173-7f87cda73b49_story.html

• 1 year later...
Planting of grass begins on the Rio 2016 Olympic Golf Course
campo_golfe_samirasantos_20052014.01.jpg
The process of planting grass begins on the Olympic Golf Course (Photo: Rio 2016)
The Olympic Golf Course in Barra de Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, is taking shape. On Tuesday 20 May the process of planting grass began on the first of the 18 holes, hole number 8. Grassing is considered to be the final stage in building a golf course, with a predicted timeline for grass growth of 11 months.
"We have taken another important step in constructing the Olympic Golf Course today. The planting of grass is the last construction activity for each hole on the course, following the completion of the earthworks, irrigation and finishing," explained Agberto Guimarães, Rio 2016 Director of Sport and Paralympic Integration.

The golf venue, the construction of which began in April 2013, is considered to be one of the greatest legacies of the 2016 Games. Following the Olympic competitions, it will become the first public golf course in the city of Rio, contributing to the growth of the sport, which is returning to the Olympic programme after 112 years

Rio 2016

• Like 1

Planting of grass begins on the Rio 2016 Olympic Golf Course

campo_golfe_samirasantos_20052014.01.jpg
The process of planting grass begins on the Olympic Golf Course (Photo: Rio 2016)
The Olympic Golf Course in Barra de Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, is taking shape. On Tuesday 20 May the process of planting grass began on the first of the 18 holes, hole number 8. Grassing is considered to be the final stage in building a golf course, with a predicted timeline for grass growth of 11 months.
"We have taken another important step in constructing the Olympic Golf Course today. The planting of grass is the last construction activity for each hole on the course, following the completion of the earthworks, irrigation and finishing," explained Agberto Guimarães, Rio 2016 Director of Sport and Paralympic Integration.

The golf venue, the construction of which began in April 2013, is considered to be one of the greatest legacies of the 2016 Games. Following the Olympic competitions, it will become the first public golf course in the city of Rio, contributing to the growth of the sport, which is returning to the Olympic programme after 112 years

Rio 2016

Wait!!! Wasn't it really really really late???

• 9 months later...