• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm watching it now.

Disc 1 crammed in a "feature presentation", opening and closing ceremonies, and nordic sports.

I am watching the OC right now and am VERY disappointed. They are cutting snippets everywhere. Like it goes from the countdown directly to the snowboard sequence (no city and mountain shots). Vice regal salute was cut.

Better off just watching the OBS feed from YouTube.

ugg.. the OC isn't even divided up into separate chapters

I'm watching it now.

Disc 1 crammed in a "feature presentation", opening and closing ceremonies, and nordic sports.

I am watching the OC right now and am VERY disappointed. They are cutting snippets everywhere. Like it goes from the countdown directly to the snowboard sequence (no city and mountain shots). Vice regal salute was cut.

Better off just watching the OBS feed from YouTube.

ugg.. the OC isn't even divided up into separate chapters

Uh-oh. That's not good. I saw the CTV Torrent but I couldn't get the file to play. At least I got the NBC one, but it's not complete either. They cut-off Gretzky's ride to the outdoor cauldron to interview Joe Biden.

Yeah, the OC was basically crammed into 1 hour.

The parade of nations is basically a cycle of all the countries. They didn't even devote extra time to Georgia and only stayed on Canada a little longer.

The rest of the sequences are edited down. Who has seen the Wind sequence is removed entirely. John Furlong speech is out. There is no option commentary track.

Closing ceremony is even worst, edited down to about 40 minutes. No medals presentation, no volunteer thank you, the entire sochi presentation is missing. The whoa whoa Vancouver part is completely gone. During O Canada, the camera didn't even cut to the kids forming the maple leaf on the stadium floor.

The only musical presentation was from Michael Buble.

Thank goodness for YouTube!

You can download the full opening and ceremonies from iTunes for $3...as far as I can tell they're completly uncut. The Canadian Men's hockey games and the Women's Gold Medal game are up there too.

I'd ordered the NBC disc a couple weeks ago, and it arrived yesterday. I wasn't expecting too much as its only a 1-disc DVD..and I was right. Its basically a cut down version of the OC and then 5-10 minute highlight packages for each day. Total run time of about 3.5 hours.

Hoping my CTV box set (blu-ray) is there for me when I get home from work today...

Yeah, the OC was basically crammed into 1 hour.

And those dingbats at CTV said the set would feature the OC and CC complete. Liars.

^ I can't find them on itunes. What did you search under?

Alright, call me a liar, but they were there. I have the downloaded from iTunes. Perhaps they've taken them down?

I've searched through everything, and there are also a few more things missing that used to be up there, including the 'On Home Ice' documentary that CTV did leading up to the games on the selection of the men's team.

Well...at least you should still be able to find:

- Team Canada: Gold Medal Hockey Special (Women's and Men's GMGs)

- Daily Highlights (2-3 Min highlight packages from each day)

- Team Canada Men's Hockey Games (Full-Lenght versions of all 7 of the Men's Games)

WTF. I just recieved mine today and I want to return it now after seeing the first disc. What a crappy editing job. Yes the Olympic Broadcasting services did a better job filming the Opening & Closing ceremony & I'm glad that it is in youtube. Does anyone know where I can get a HD copy of the OBS of the ceremonies.

Finally got a shipping confirmation for my DVD set from Canada Post. As soon as I get it and see the shortened ceremonies, gonna write to CTV and ask for a disc replacement program to be set-up and the ceremonies to be re-released. Discs should be sent no-charge to people that bought the set. A number of people on the RedFlagDeals forum said they are going to write to CTV. The full ceremonies was something I wanted and was looking forward to, not something that was scaled back.

I knew there were going to be some changes and rearrangements from what was originally expected from the DVD. Tell me, for those who got the Blu-ray version, were there any differences and exclusives that aren't on the standard version. Doubt that there would be so as not to alienate those who got the standard and that isn't going anywhere. What about the French coverage in it? I believe it could have utilize some of the multilingual coverage to better rep the multiculturalism in the CTVglobemedia-Roger Media Olympic coverage.

What were the bonus features on each disc?

Though I plan to buy it on eBay in the future, I have to echo the disappointments based on what I'm reading regarding the chopping and cutting of both ceremonies. Blu-ray surely could cram both in with its capacities on one disc. Why do that? If CTV was smart and responded to the outcries, it would and should in the near future offer discs of both ceremonies since recent Olympics do that, including even in box sets. Still, it's better than our US version in features.

We should also make our own version to enjoy...

Got an email from vancouver2010.com/store this week, stating my blu-ray set will be shipping this week. I ordered from Vanoc because I had a 15% code.

Remember that post I submitted about what was going to be on the set prior to the changes? Looks like we have to deal with those radical changes. I was visiting this figure skating forum DVD review and Blu-Ray DVD forum review (which actually has two sections devoted to it here and here instead of yet merging). After reading these posts wanting to know much more about this DVD release and of the reviews, (mind you I haven't bought it yet) some thoughts:

--We know straight away from the packaging of this DVD set that this is primarily geared and targeted for the Canadian consumption market with its bilingualism (more on that later), even though that Canada is both DVD zones (standard and Blu-Ray) where the Americans are also a part of where they can played on theirs with no problems. So it's going to be biased for the Canadians, and why not since it can finally crow about having its first gold medals on home soil and hauling the most golds ever in one Winter Olympics? This is made from a Canadian media entity with greater nods to the Canadian Winter Olympians in Vancouver, whether or not they made the podium. Non-Canadian Olympians generally get at best brief mentions or noteworthy excerpts of their performances

--The disc where both Opening and Closing Ceremonies, the first one, is the one where people are very disappointed with so far, calling it "pitiful". Rvi5, upon loading the disc, says the disc was "poorly designed" with the offering of two language options, English and French, with each language menu option overlapping a "cartoonish video". People were expecting both ceremonies to appear in their respective entireties. But each nation in the Parade of Nations had about 5 seconds of screen time, except for the hosts, announcing the countries' name before moving on to the next one. Also it is not the entire OC, some segments were omitted. The DVD promotion was that it was "long-form". In other words, however they view fit or the way CTV wants to. Cut down to an hour. Blu-ray's Benviolent observes that Prairies bit and the "Both Sides Now" song got omitted but kept the Olympic Opera Song.

--If you thought that was bad with the Opening Ceremonies butchering, the Closing Ceremonies got even worse. Instead of the 3+ hour duration, what's inside Disc 1 from that is 30 minutes of stuff (as observed at the Blu-ray forums) with the mime and Catriona Lemay Doan Olympic cauldron skit at the beginning, Neil Young, William Shatner and Michael J. Fox humorously discussing Canada. Michael Buble's Maple Leaf Forever. Missing was the Sochi presentation and its protocol, all the various other musical performances, 1000 9th Grade (Grade 9 in the Commonwealth like in Canada and Australia) students with their snowboards, and much of Catherine O'Hara.

--Neither had any of the CTV or RDS commentary to call the ceremonies. This really would've called for an optional audio commentaries with at least both English and French. Or just go without them with both as a clean audio feed. I read the audio for the OC was manipulated and not the natural audio recorded from it. Instead the disc gets Brian Williams mentioning what went on as a summary. Surely, some people who were organizing the DVD sets had to observe and study the DVDs of recent past Olympics (Sydney, Athens, and Beijing) and realized in those products, both ceremonies were, while it may have local or OBS feeds, they were intact with no issues. Were they inaccessible to them? They were all on eBay and still are at times. Though I must note that when the Athens DVD set was first released, the Closing Ceremonies had a lot of the music performances omitted. An updated version later came out with them installed with updated artwork. Also there no chapter specific menu for both like with Sydney to go over what segments the viewer likes to see--no chapters for each nation in the Parade of Nations, the speeches, the music, or the artistic portions. Hopefully, CTV will later come their senses on this and reissue them in their entirties as part of the set, if not as a separate item. Come on, they were among the biggest TV ratings winners on Canadian TV! CTV should've warned the public of potential omissions from the get-go.

--There's very little mention since the tinkering of the set towards of the special features supposedly on each disc. I take it that they were since jettisoned in favor of the repackaging. There's no mention of the ambitious TV/online/radio coverage from the Canadian Olympic Host Broadcast Media Consortium, how the Canadian athletes prepared, trained, and faced the world's best for this, or the documentary of the development of the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics from the bid to the CC.

--The gold medal hockey matches between Canada and the US in both the men and women are satisfactory for many; you don't mess with the highest-rated Canadian TV program in history as far as the men go that was shown on almost all of the Olympic TV networks, save for MuchMusic. The women's gold medal game, though I read, has everything but the first half of the third and final period. I haven't watched the game. Just followed it online on the night of the game. Likely because that portion was perhaps uneventful and to save space. But the whole thing should be on the disc.

--With so many languages involved on the coverage, 22 languages to recall, it would be nice if, for the select events at least, it could reflect that better, so as to reflect the growing multiculturism. English and French would definitely and primarily be there in all of the discs, since those are bigger markets. And that's one of the reasons why it was not done. For the Blu-Ray, it could use those 13 languages for the ceremonies on the disc for the audio tracks. That and the possibly for enough audio room for the other languages on Blu-ray. In some cases I read the call of some events were taken from The Fan Radio Network and Corus Quebec. How about them added on to for Blu-Ray discs?

--I think the major reason why it seems that both versions of the discs are exactly alike is not to alienate those who have no instant plans for Blu-ray, and there are many. Standard DVD is not going to go away for the forseeable future for consumers. It doesn't matter if the capacity is greater on Blu-ray, in which you can do more with; it's not yet standard across the board. Whenever a movie title gets the Blu-ray treatment, everything from the standard gets ported over with the Blu-ray exclusives tend to be of the interactive variety. I was probrably expecting some more interactive stuff that can't be put on the standard version. But I agree wholeheartedly that some events should be installed in full with Blu's greater capacity. How about a pop-up menu too?

--Why five discs? If you noticed with the early original artwork when it was announced, you'll notice each had one of the five colors of the Olympic rings along the side. And they wanted to stay consistent with that, even with the changes. Six or up to eight discs, talking strictly Blu here, could help with some of the events. One can just be devoted to the ceremonies if not just one. While the last can devoted to special features...

--And this is where we could've seen, like with many of the movie titles in existence, all of the "Believe" TV promos from the likes of CTV, RDS, and CTV BC. It would have been nice and we could get the Olympic Games Preview Show, the Torch Relay summary, some of the music performances, the behind the scenes stuff of the all the Olympic sports, the ambitious Olympic media project, making of the I Believe song, and several of the Olympic-themed programming like Away From Home, Canada's Olympic Hockey Selection Show, Vers Vancouver, and Canada's Greatest Olympic Moments. More in-depth interviews with athletes and coaches would be nice.

To be continued...

Nice shots of the CTV Vancouver 2010 Blu-Ray DVD set

BTW, I noticed on the Vancouver portion of the Olympic channel that the events are shown in full that were uploaded recently along with the highlights. Full versions of events hasn't happened yet for the Beijing and Turin channels. Since I'm in the US, I can't watch them anyway from the Olympic channel...

Well I still like having the CTV disc set because it is a good record of the Games, but I was certainly disappointed.

What offends me about the coverage of the ceremonies is that I thought it was a moment of national pride and that it belonged to all of us. The DVD should have been a way for us to take the ceremony into our homes, but just crappy abbreviated version of it.

Although I have no objection to attention being focused on Canadian athletes, the DVD failed to capture some of the most important moments of the games. For instance, one of my favourite moments was when the ski crosser Delgado of Spain crashed at the finish line during the heats but raised her hands out in triumph to show she was ok- this was left on the cutting room floor. Nothing about Sven Kramer's mistake in the 10 000m either.

Nikki Yanolfsky and Annie Villeneuve sang a great bilingual version of I Believe/J'imagine but that was not included either.

Optional commentary for the ceremonies would have been great too, except when you desecrate the ceremonies like they did, the original commentary doesn't make sense.