USOC Debuts New Logo

The USOC has recently debuted new logs for both the USOC and for Team USA, as well as the U.S. Paralympic Team.

usoc_logos.jpg?1271863307

USOC Press Release In Context

U.S. Olympic Committee Revamps Corporate Identity and Marks to Enhance Brand

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. - The United States Olympic Committee (USOC) unveiled today a redesign of the marks for the USOC and Team USA that will debut during the 2010 U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Team visit to the White House later this month. This rebranding effort was initiated to enhance the USOC brand, create clear and meaningful marks, and outline a consistent brand architecture for all USOC constituencies.

"This redesign embodies a fresh look for the USOC and reflects our desire to work collaboratively with the IOC, our international counterparts and our many constituencies," USOC Chief Executive Officer Scott Blackmun. "The new logo is striking, appealing and offers us a timeless identity. The American flag is the most recognized symbol of our country, and putting it at the center of our marks signifies the importance of identifying with the history and spirit of our country."

The new USOC institutional mark is the official seal of the USOC, and features the United States flag and the Olympic Rings in the designated IOC colors. The new design integrates these elements in identical proportions to denote equality and is contained by a circular boarder to symbolize unity. The institutional mark will be used for ancillary USOC programs such as the U.S. Olympic Hall of Fame, U.S. Olympic Team Trials, Olympic University and U.S. Olympic Training Centers.

The new USOC commercial mark resembles the institutional mark, but features either the five Olympic Rings or the three Paralympic elements below the American flag. The circular boarder is embossed in a classic red or deep blue. The commercial mark will be used on apparel for U.S. Olympic and Paralympic podium wear, Opening and Closing Ceremony apparel, and for uniforms worn on the field of play.

The new Team USA shield mark features the historical Olympic shield and the 13 stripes of the American flag. It combines retro styling with bold and modern typefaces. It will be used as a secondary mark for Team USA and will be utilized on USOC apparel.

"I was very pleased to see the U.S. Olympic Committee's new logo and all that it represents, including the USOC's continued commitment to collaborating with the worldwide Olympic Movement, said Gerhard Heiberg, member of the IOC Executive Board and Chairman of the IOC Marketing Commission. "These marks strengthen our unity and contribute to our collective goals in furthering Olympism."

The new USOC marks will remain consistent over coming quadrennial cycles, eliminating the need for frequent "Look of the Team" redesigns. The consistent application of these new logos will effectively enhance the USOC brand with a clear, meaningful and purposeful mark. The new brand architecture and style guide will provide a logical framework for the application of the marks across all media and will assure greater value for National Governing Bodies, sponsors, licensees and business partners.

The new marks were designed by FITCH marketing services, a global design consultancy established in 1972. FITCH operates eight studios across North America, Asia, Europe and the Middle East. The company employs 350 staff members and is a part of WPP PLC.

Personally I prefer the traditional USA in place of the U.S. Flag, but I'm sure this new mark will grow on me. Also prefer the "deep blue" ring option over "classic red", unless, of course, it's situated over a blue background. Think the blue ring would look better on white too.

It's hard to tell what the new "logo" actually is.

There's no news release on the site, or if there is, it's impossible to find.

The website is so cluttered with stuff that it's difficult to use.

It's hard to tell what the new "logo" actually is.

There's no news release on the site, or if there is, it's impossible to find.

The website is so cluttered with stuff that it's difficult to use.

Ummm, I linked to the press release in my original post.

Ehhh! I preferred the old ones. But still, these aren't as bad as those other, newer logos. At least they easily convey what they have to say.

When you say "other newer logos", do you mean games logos?

In the end, I think it was much better to have just one official logo, that represents both the USOC and TEAM USA. If you look at the USOC/Team USA site now, there are just too many logos all over the place. And now Team USA has TWO logos: the one for ceremonies and medal stand wear, and then the shield for.....what? I think the shield logo is unnecessary. Still prefer the original.

USOC%20Logo.jpg

I think its an improvement. The old one was just horrid, IMHO.

Now, the USOC needs to start buying uniforms that aren't completely ugly...

APTOPIX_Vancouver_Oly_Reyn___t607.jpg

The "new" logo is just perfect for glass "coasters."

We called those uniforms..the "pajamas." (I think it was the choice of the Aerials' team whose brains we know all get mushed up in those jumps!!

The Ski Team uniforms looked like pajamas, but there hasn't been anything at all wrong with the most recent games podium and ceremonies wear, as well as the track jackets everyone gets. I don't know how you can say the old logo was horrid. I was simple and elegant. It got it's message across quite clearly and succinctly. It said, "USA Olympics". Nothing else needed to say. But, things like this are subjective.

In the end, I think it was much better to have just one official logo, that represents both the USOC and TEAM USA. If you look at the USOC/Team USA site now, there are just too many logos all over the place. And now Team USA has TWO logos: the one for ceremonies and medal stand wear, and then the shield for.....what? I think the shield logo is unnecessary. Still prefer the original.

USOC%20Logo.jpg

I fully agree.

Ribbon cut on new USOC headquarters

(AP) – 1 hour ago

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — U.S. Olympic Committee leaders have cut the ribbon on their new headquarters, the cornerstone of a $53 million project that will keep the organization in Colorado Springs for the next 30 years.

USOC chief executive Scott Blackmun and Mayor Lionel Rivera were among those cutting the ribbon Monday.

Blackmun joked it was a good thing the scissors weren't available during a difficult negotiation process that resulted in lawsuits, delays and consideration of relocating the headquarters.

The city approved a deal requiring it to pay $1.7 million a year for the next 30 years to repay "certificates of participation" that pushed the project forward. Critics said the money could be better spent.

AP

Archived