2015 FINA World Aquatics Championships

Good to see Natalie Coughlin return to the International scene.

She's *been* back. She swam at Short Course Worlds in Dubai and at Pan Pacs in Irvine last year. Swam up in Vancouver earlier this year. Swam at the Santa Clara Grand Prix in June...

Way to go Marine Boy! Glad to see Park in top form again after a disappointing 2009.

What's amazing to me about Park Tae Hwan is his size; He's only 5'9

Well, at Beijing I distinctly remember Rowdy Gaines saying he was 5ft 9. I remember because it really struck me when he said that. Next time you see him, measure him. ;)

LOL gotcha. So maybe it's either because he didn't yet hit 19 at the time and grew later, or 6 feet is just a flat-out lie.

:D

Historic !!!!

First ever Men's Gold Medal at a Swimming World Championships for FRANCE !!!

And to celebrate that, is not one World Champion but two World Champions !!!!

Men's 100m Backstroke Results :

1st : Camille LACOURT (FRA)

1st : Jeremy STRAVIUS (FRA)

3rd : Ryosuke IRIE (JPN)

(I just realised that i am posting in the 2015 threads since 2 days... nevermind B) )

Edited by memorabilia

:D

Historic !!!!

First ever Men's Gold Medal at a Swimming World Championships for FRANCE !!!

And to celebrate that, is not one World Champion but two World Champions !!!!

Men's 100m Backstroke Results :

1st : Camille LACOURT (FRA)

1st : Jeremy STRAVIUS (FRA)

3rd : Ryosuke IRIE (JPN)

(I just realised that i am posting in the 2015 threads since 2 days... nevermind B) )

Lol yeah I noticed that about the thread title. Anyways, congrats!

Funny that we're commenting on the 2011 World Championships in the 2015 thread.

Anyway, Britta Steffen cancelled all her remaining races after placing a surprisingly bad 16th in the women's 100 m freestyle heats. A big blow to the German team, for which Steffen is the "poster girl" -- and her decision has stirred quite a lot of controversy.

All in all, after the glorious days of Rome two years ago, these are pretty bad World Championships for the German team again. I just hope that this isn't a bad omen for the Olympic Games (at which the German swimmers always pretty much bombed in all editions since 1996).

Funny that we're commenting on the 2011 World Championships in the 2015 thread.

Anyway, Britta Steffen cancelled all her remaining races after placing a surprisingly bad 16th in the women's 100 m freestyle heats. A big blow to the German team, for which Steffen is the "poster girl" -- and her decision has stirred quite a lot of controversy.

All in all, after the glorious days of Rome two years ago, these are pretty bad World Championships for the German team again. I just hope that this isn't a bad omen for the Olympic Games (at which the German swimmers always pretty much bombed in all editions since 1996).

I think it is better that the it happens now than in next year...

It seems the athlete were not able to gain their efficiency, which they showed at the German championships resp. during the training, again for the World Championships - I remember that something comparable happened at another World Championships before "Rome".

I read in a newspaper today (I think it was Hamburger Abendblatt or F.A.Z.) that there were quarrels between the coaches and the DSV/TV-Channels about the date the GErman National Championships, which made it difficult to gain resp. keep the performances of the ahtletes - I wonder why the coaches have so "few" power to do the best for their athletes...

I think it is better that the it happens now than in next year...

Yes, but the fact that it has happened now doesn't mean that it won't happen again next year.

Just look back at the years 2007 and 2008: In 2007, the World Championships took place in Melbourne (probably those are the WCHs you were referring to). The German swimmers delivered a similarly bad performance there, gaining only three silver medals and one bronze.

And that happened again one year later in Beijing at the Olympic Games. OK, Britta Steffen won two gold medals there. But the big flaw was: She was the only German swimmer who won a medal.

Since 2000, the German swimmers have one big problem: The more important a swimming event is, the more they get frightened. At the European Championships, they are usually very confident and successful. At the WCHs, they get frightened sometimes already because the pressure is higher, with the Americans, the Australians etc. around. And at the Olympics, they get the real bad jitters -- because they know it's the most important sports event of all.

So I still have big doubts whether they will overcome that "stage fright" at big sports events and will be able to deliver finally a good Olympic performance, after three botched Olympic Games in recent years.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

KAZAN READY TO BOOST AQUATICS IN RUSSIA

Kazan, the Russian city that will host the 2015 FINA World Championships, is ideally equipped to give aquatics a perfect launch pad in Russia, according to Vladimir Leonov, the director general of the 2013 Universiade, the next major sporting event to take place in the country.

The ambitious Russian city is playing a major role in a decade of huge sporting events to take place in the country. Next year, during the torch relay ahead of the 2014 Olympic Games in Sochi, Kazan will be the destination for the high-profile New Year’s Eve celebrations, and the city will also host football matches during the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

In 2015, Kazan will stage FINA’s flagship event, the World Championships and, according to Leonov, visiting aquatics fans will be in for a treat after the facilities are given a test run during the Universiade, which is organized for university athletes.

“The Universiade swimming tournament will be held at the Aquatics Palace,” Leonov said. “It’s a state-of-the-art venue, the construction of which largely contributed to Kazan’s winning of the 2015 FINA World Championships.

“The Aquatics Palace is being constructed in full conformity with FINA’s requirements. We will use the Universiade swimming event to test operations ahead of the World Aquatics Championships so that we will be all set and perfectly ready to host them.”

Aside from swimming events, the multi-sport Universiade will also stage water polo and synchronised swimming next year.

Leonov believes the rapid rate of development in the Russian city will allow participants in various aquatics disciplines to enjoy a positive legacy after the Universiade and then beyond the FINA World Championships two years later.

“Kazan is the sports capital of Russia and it gained its unofficial title in many respects thanks to winning the bid to host the 2013 Summer Universiade and the construction activities that have unfolded,” he said.

“If there was only one large swimming pool before Kazan embarked on the preparations for the Games, today sports complexes with swimming pools are built across the entire city. It’s important for us to make these venues accessible to people; children and students play sports there, children and youth swimming lessons are regularly held.

“Aquatics is becoming more and more popular among citizens and in many ways it’s a positive impact of our work. We think that after being staged at a new venue and in a new host city, the FINA World Championships will promote aquatic sports throughout the world, especially since it boasts one of largest TV audiences in the world.”

As a precursor to the 2015 FINA World Championships, the 2012 FINA Convention will take place in Moscow, just a one-hour flight from Kazan. The convention will run from October 29 to November 1.

The future for the Russian city in the international sporting arena looks positive, and Leonov expressed his confidence that “mega sporting events” such as the FINA World Championships will help to lift the profile of the Russian city to unprecedented heights and will “contribute to the social and economic development of Russia”.

“We still have a lot to do, but we know that we are on the right track,” he said.

http://aquaticsconve...atics-in-russia

• 2 weeks later...

Kazan set for massive festival of aquatics as FINA unveil radical new plan for 2015 Championships

Kazan is set to host one of the biggest sports events in history in 2015 when for the first time ever the FINA World Masters Championships will be held alongside the the main event.

More than 12,000 competitors aged 25 and above are expected for the first time to join over 2,000 elite athletes taking part in the FINA World Aquatics Championships in what will be a massive celebration of the sport in the capital of the Republic of Tatarstan.

The plan was revealed here on the eve of the 2nd FINA World Aquatics Convention, where the sport's leaders and national federations have gathered to discuss its future.

"For the first time we are going to combine the World Championships with the Masters World Championships," said Cornel Marculescu, the executive director of FINA.

"Kazan is going to be the place where for the first time we will start with the new concept."

At the last FINA World Masters Championships in Riccione earlier this year a record total of nearly 15,000 competitors took part in the 15 day event, including 10,000 swimmers, 2,400 open water swimmers, 1,400 water polo players, 580 synchronised swimmers and 270 divers.

The events in 2015 are due to be held in New Rubin Kazan Stadium, which is currently nearing completion for the 2013 Universiade.

The venue will eventually become the new home of Russian Premier League side Rubin Kazan and will also host matches during the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

"Kazan is building now one beautiful and extraordinary swimming complex [for the Universiade]," said Julio Maglione, the President of FINA, who along with Marculescu last week visited Kazan and met Tatarstan Prime Minister Ildar Khalikov.

"It will be two swimming pools of 50 metres and one separate pool for diving.

"Kazan have a big enthusiasm.

"They have an excellent Organising Committee that is working very hard.

"We are sure we will have a superb World Championships."

full article:

http://www.insidethe...5-championships