2010-11 ISU Figure Skating Season

Kim leads worlds after short program; Ando 2nd

Saturday 30th April, 06:35 AM JST

MOSCOW — Olympic champion Kim Yu-na of South Korea made a dramatic return to competition on Friday, taking the lead after the short program at the figure skating world championships.

In her first competition since last year’s worlds, Kim scored 65.91 points despite stepping out of her opening triple lutz. She made a quick recovery, tacking a double toe loop onto her triple flip to complete the required combination, and rounded off her “Giselle” routine with clinical precision.

“I’ve been doing clean short programs at home so I was disappointed I didn’t do a clean short program in the competition ... but I’m in first and I’m satisfied,” Kim said.

In the ice dance, reigning Olympic and world champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir of Canada won the short dance to take a slight lead over main rivals Meryl Davis and Charlie White of the United States. The championships conclude Saturday with the free dance and the women’s free program.

Kim didn’t have the polish or overwhelming presence as she did last year or in 2009, when she won her world title. Still, her performance was impressive considering she hadn’t competed in more than a year.

“It didn’t take too much time to build my stamina physically,” she said, “but mentally it was so hard.”

Kim is closely trailed by Japan’s Miki Ando, the 2007 world champion whose elegant if less adventurous performance garnered 65.58. Asked why she opted for a triple-double when she can do a triple-triple combination, Ando said, “My triple-triple wasn’t good when I got here ... and in the short program it’s really important not to miss any jump.”

Russia’s Ksenia Makarova came third, landing her opening triple-triple and subsequent triple toe cleanly during a big-attitude flamenco routine.

“I was able to put out a really strong short program and I got a season’s best. So I’m very happy with that,” Makarova said.

U.S. champion Alissa Czisny lies in fourth after a flowing and assured performance, a slight wobble on a triple flip her only concern.

“I was nervous going into the short program today. My last two world championships short programs weren’t so great and I wanted to go out and skate my best,” said Czisny, who has resurrected her career since switching to coaches Yuka Sato and Jason Dungjen after last season. “I fought for everything in my program so I was satisfied.”

http://www.japantoday.com/category/sports/view/kim-leads-worlds-after-short-program-ando-2nd?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=news_on_twitter

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

evt_header.jpg

Ice Dance

1 Meryl Davis/Charlie White - USA

2 Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir - Canada

3 Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani - USA

>>>A North American Sweep. USA, Canada and Russia will be sending three ice dance teams next year in France. A good return for Virtue and Moir who was sidelined for most of the season as Virtue recovered from surgery due to compartment syndrome.

Updated 2011-12 Grand Prix Schedules

Oct 21 - 23 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Skate America, Ontario, California, USA

Oct 28 - 30 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Skate Canada, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

Nov 4 - 6 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Cup of China, Beijing, China

Nov 11 - 13 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - NHK Trophy, Sapporo, Japan

Nov 18 - 20 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Trophee Eric Bompard, Paris, France

Nov 25 - 27 Grand Prix of Figure Skating - Rostelecom Cup, Moscow, Russia

Dec 8 - 11 Grand Prix of Figure Skating Final, (Combined Juniors and Seniors), Quebec City, Quebec, Canada

Important Competitions:

European Figure Skating Championships 2012 - Sheffield, Great Britain, 23 - 29 Jan

Four Continents Figure Skating Championships 2012 - Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA, 7 - 12 Feb

World Junior Figure Skating Championships 2012 - Minsk, Belarus, 27 Feb - 4 Ma

World Figure Skating Championships 2012 - Nice, France, 26 Mar - 1 Apr

evt_header.jpg

Ice Dance

1 Meryl Davis/Charlie White - USA

2 Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir - Canada

3 Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani - USA

And all these 3 teams are coached by Igor Shpilband and Marina Zueva.

Interesting thing about the Shibutanis: they are Japanese-American siblings, 2nd or 3rd generation already, but are sticking with the US. The Japanese Ice Dance team, on the other hand, the Reed siblings (Jap mom, Yank dad) from Ohio, opted to compete for Japan. Their 3rd sister, Allison, is one-half of the Dance team from Georgia. I think this must be 1st in history. (And if the English Kerr's were still in comp, that would have made 3 bro-sis teams competing.)

the kerr's announced their retirement prior to worlds. just too bad since shffield will be hosting euros next year. not only the top 3 are zueva/shpilband. several other pairs are also coached by them so its likely that they'll be dominating ice dance for sometime.

The Kerr's are Scottish, Baron

yes, C...but they compete under GBR. There is NO Scottish team recognized by the ISU. Can you please drop this Scottish-British-Welsh-Pict-Jute thing? It is REALLY irritating to OUTSIDERS. Ultimately, it DOESN'T matter to us what part of the UK you come from. Really, it is BLOODY IRRITATING!!

yes, C...but they compete under GBR. There is NO Scottish team recognized by the ISU. Can you please drop this Scottish-British-Welsh-Pict-Jute thing? It is REALLY irritating to OUTSIDERS. Ultimately, it DOESN'T matter to us what part of the UK you come from. Really, it is BLOODY IRRITATING!!

So call them British and not English (GBR -> British, England -> English)

Can you please stop using "us" whenever it suits you? You are not a royal and do not represent anyone but yourself. It is REALLY IRRITATING

So call them British and not English (GBR -> British, England -> English)

Can you please stop using "us" whenever it suits you? You are not a royal and do not represent anyone but yourself. It is REALLY IRRITATING

F*CK U!! Go 2 hell!!

Baron, it is you who is causing the misunderstandings. There is no English team recognised by the ISU, just as there is no Scottish team. I was merely pointing out that the Kerr's were born in Scotland, and as you rightly said compete for GBR and are also British. Therefore they are not the English Kerrs as you say because this is incorrect and false in many ways.

So you should get your facts right, as these matters might not matter to you but they do to others

Archived