Bid Index Results

They did their best.

There is nothing better, they can't do it anymore.

It is natural that Munich's win, regardless of wins and losses.

Katarina Witt said,

When you choose the Olympic host city, it is about more than just geography. It is a choice about the kind of Olympic experience the athletes of the future should have. In Munich in 2018, every Olympian and Paralympian will have just what they deserve: the single greatest experience of their lives. Because the atmosphere will be everything they have ever dreamed of.'

This is sooo subjective because this could mean so many different things to so many different people. Although, she is right on one aspect; when selecting the host city, it is more than just about geography. It's what the host city can do for the Olympic Movement as a WHOLE.

Once you start telling IOC members how one thinks that they should vote, that could severely backfire on you. Just ask Paris '92, Athens '96, Rome '04 & Sion '06. She should really be more diplomatic in her speech rather than start stating what SHE thinks is "best" for the IOC.

Königssee also 3rd consecutive highly competitive bid :D

That was for Salzburg 2014. Stop making things up.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once you start telling IOC members how one thinks that they should vote, that could severely backfire on you. Just ask Paris '92, Athens '96, Rome '04 & Sion '06. She should really be more diplomatic in her speech rather than start stating what SHE thinks is "best" for the IOC.

I hear you and I agree. However, it seemed to work for Rio....

As near as I can tell, since 1960 no city other than Istanbul has bid 3 consecutive times. No city has ever finished second by a slim margin 3 consecutive times. Austria bid for 3 consecutive WOGs (Klagenfurt 2006, Salzburg 2010, 2014)but none of those bids finished second.

As for people saying they would prefer to see PC in 2022 or 2026, why in the world should the Koreans bid again? If I were them and I lost out by a razor thin margin three times in a row I wouldn't go for a fourth. I'd pack it in.

The IOC must realize that passing over PC a third time when their bids have been consistently strong would feel like a slap in the face. This is why Munich must be overwhelmingly compelling if they're even going to have a chance. Personally, I don't see it happening.

Pyeongchang 2018.

I hear you and I agree. However, it seemed to work for Rio....

I agree, Rio seemed to have been the exception to the rule when you had Lula constantly saying that it was South America's time. I think the South America pull was too great to pass up when you had an acceptable enough bid from the continent, even if the Rio bid team emphasized too much the New Frontier factor.

In this race, however, like you stated in your following post, Munich is the one that has to prove itself & make a compelling enough sell to the IOC members if they have any chance of overthrowing the compelling, 3-time in a row, South Korean bid. In this case, saying things like katrina has said I don't think is gonna win a lot of votes, if any. Sell your bid, don't make subjective assumptions.

PC in 2022 or 2026, why in the world should the Koreans bid again?

I'm not sure that be held successfully and worried they are rushing too quickly.

Korea will only get one opportunity in the next 50 more years.

- Opposition in terms of Koreans.

- To see 2026 or 2034 in terms of Olympian.

It is not important that just add a name of Pyeongchang to the host city list.

I have noted that, In Munich in 2018, every Olympian and Paralympian will have just what they deserve: the single greatest experience of their lives.

New Markets :

I Objectively it is just a slogan for the Olympics host.

Doesn't have clear evidence.

When held in Pyeongchang will not give a great impact to Asia.

Winter sports development is not simple.

As for people saying they would prefer to see PC in 2022 or 2026, why in the world should the Koreans bid again? If I were them and I lost out by a razor thin margin three times in a row I wouldn't go for a fourth. I'd pack it in.

The IOC must realize that passing over PC a third time when their bids have been consistently strong would feel like a slap in the face. This is why Munich must be overwhelmingly compelling if they're even going to have a chance. Personally, I don't see it happening.

Well said. I know that hosting the Olympics is a privilege, and not a right. No one "deserves" an Olympics. That said, bid cities also have much to offer the Olympic movement, and if the IOC passes up the opportunity too many times, the opportunity might not come around again. Personally, I will not blame the Korean Olympic Committee if they choose not to bid again if they lose this time. 2010 was a surprise, which gave PC hope for 2014, making them believe they were truly the favourites. Maybe they were until Sochi gained momentum towards the end, but the PC 2014 bid still had many holes. Looking back, I'm actually glad they lost in 2014, because they were forced to come up with a better bid. I've been following their bid very closely lately. Their bid is better than it ever has been in the last 10 years. They've learned from their past mistakes, a bunch of which I've mentioned in the other thread. There really isn't too much else they could have done at this moment. For Pyeongchang, it's now or never. Win this bid, and they will transform the Winter Games into a new era. Lose this bid, and Pyeongchang will become an afterthought like Ostersund. Many people would love to see a Swedish Winter Games, myself included. But reject them bid after bid, and they will no longer bid.

Some idiots here will argue that Sweden is a traditional winter country and Korea isn't, and thus we shouldn't compare them. It doesn't matter for the sake of argument. Their bid experiences are comparable, in that the world has not seen a Swedish bid in almost 20 years. If Pyeongchang loses this time, the world may not see another Korean bid for a while. As a first-time bidder, Munich is happy to return for 2022. After bidding for a decade, Pyeongchang won't be as enthusiastic, understandably. Of course, this isn't the only consideration. IOC members should do what's best for Olympism. In this case, maybe the best thing for Olympism is to ensure that 2 quality bids in Pyeongchang and Munich both get to become host. That's Pyeongchang 2018 and Munich 2022 (although I'd prefer Sweden or Switzerland 2022). If Munich wins 2018, there is no Pyeongchang 2022.

I would argue that a lot of the Rio lobbying was "we've done X, Y and Z so you can vote for our bid on merit. We have the money. We've delivered the Pan Am Games. The country is behind us. We are sports crazy. We will do whatever needs to be done to deliver the Games."

If Lula spoke better English he might have said those sorts of things too. Rio played it almost perfectly: core message of competence, the fiscals and (by the way) first South American Games EVAR!

:)

I agree, Rio seemed to have been the exception to the rule when you had Lula constantly saying that it was South America's time. I think the South America pull was too great to pass up when you had an acceptable enough bid from the continent, even if the Rio bid team emphasized too much the New Frontier factor.

In this race, however, like you stated in your following post, Munich is the one that has to prove itself & make a compelling enough sell to the IOC members if they have any chance of overthrowing the compelling, 3-time in a row, South Korean bid. In this case, saying things like katrina has said I don't think is gonna win a lot of votes, if any. Sell your bid, don't make subjective assumptions.

If IOC want a quality offer, they must choose Annecy. Some countries don't want bid since only big cities wins... If PC or Munich this country don't try their luck. Some countries like Norway, Sweden, Switzerland have need to see Annecy win.

Annecy offer the best experience, better than Munich or PC, each venue is the world Reference or one of the world reference. For Athletes and Supporters Annecy offers the best experience. And for TV spectators Annecy will offer the best show, on their TV people could watch landscape with snow and spectators in the stadium !!!

Annecy will win B)

If IOC want a quality offer, they must choose Annecy. Some countries don't want bid since only big cities wins... If PC or Munich this country don't try their luck. Some countries like Norway, Sweden, Switzerland have need to see Annecy win.

Norway, Sweden and Switzerland are smart. They know when their chances are highest.

I would argue that a lot of the Rio lobbying was "we've done X, Y and Z so you can vote for our bid on merit. We have the money. We've delivered the Pan Am Games. The country is behind us. We are sports crazy. We will do whatever needs to be done to deliver the Games."

If Lula spoke better English he might have said those sorts of things too. Rio played it almost perfectly: core message of competence, the fiscals and (by the way) first South American Games EVAR!

:)

Lula knew exactly what he was saying. His conviction came across loud and clear.

Even if you take Lula out of the equation, Rio's famous map was definitely an example of "telling the IOC how to vote."

I totally agree with FYI in regarding Rio as the exception to the rule. This approach might work with an African bid, but it will not fly with established powerhouses like Paris, Munich, etc.

PC and Munich both have their best index at this last result.

Not Annecy 2018!

This is not understandable...

Annecy 2018's best resut is from the begining of January!!!

A this time, Annecy had no Chairman (Grospiron had resigned besause he wanted a 30 Millions of Euros budget)!

Annecy 2018 had a low budget (20 Millions of Euros)

Annecy 2018 had no real support from the government (the question was: should we resign?)

Annecy 2018 had no real support from french IOC members.

The first concept had got really bad marks from the commission.

the campaign was really bad.

Annecy 2018 now has a chairman who does a quite good job.

The campaign is much better.

The budget is 30 Milions of Euros (what Grospiron wanted before he resigned!)

The government fully supports the bid (president Sarkozy + 7 ministers at the IOC inspection, the sport minister is fully engaged)

French IOC members are now fully with the bid, espacially Killy who advised for the new compact concept.

The new compact concept was really appreciated by the evaluation commission.

So....isn't there something wrong here?

PC and Munich both have their best index at this last result.

Not Annecy 2018!

This is not understandable...

Annecy 2018's best resut is from the begining of January!!!

A this time, Annecy had no Chairman (Grospiron had resigned besause he wanted a 30 Millions of Euros budget)!

Annecy 2018 had a low budget (20 Millions of Euros)

Annecy 2018 had no real support from the government (the question was: should we resign?)

Annecy 2018 had no real support from french IOC members.

The first concept had got really bad marks from the commission.

the campaign was really bad.

Annecy 2018 now has a chairman who does a quite good job.

The campaign is much better.

The budget is 30 Milions of Euros (what Grospiron wanted before he resigned!)

The government fully supports the bid (president Sarkozy + 7 ministers at the IOC inspection, the sport minister is fully engaged)

French IOC members are now fully with the bid, espacially Killy who advised for the new compact concept.

The new compact concept was really appreciated by the evaluation commission.

So....isn't there something wrong here?

I do support Munich and I would be diappointed if Munich loses to Annecy. But I would understand it as France hast a lot of tradition in winter sports.

But to be would be stunned if Munich loses to PC. Should we Germans bid for the Superbowl, the Rugby World Cup or hosting camel races instead of winter sports?

I do support Munich and I would be diappointed if Munich loses to Annecy. But I would understand it as France hast a lot of tradition in winter sports.

But to be would be stunned if Munich loses to PC. Should we Germans bid for the Superbowl, the Rugby World Cup or hosting camel races instead of winter sports?

My goodness. You too? I thought it was only the Annecy-backers that talked this way.

I agree. European's sense of entitlement over the OWG is obnoxious.

My goodness. You too? I thought it was only the Annecy-backers that talked this way.

It's because European know what is good to Host great WoG and PC don't assemble all condition to be a good bid or to host WOG in the better conditions. It's a fact, you speak without know the best standard and sorry for you but Korea is very far from the better in term of Winter sport.

I agree. European's sense of entitlement over the OWG is obnoxious.

Big 3 have priority to them.

It is important more than a mere slogan of Pyeongchang.

- Norway already had 2-times.

- Russia never, at that time.

- Germany had 80 years ago and a very smaller scale.

It is difficult to give greater meaning, so should have one more chance.

Right now, When considering their tradition, passion and contribution, We can't say to wait.

There you have it, folks. Bow down to the kings of winter sports, the "BIG 3." Don't even bother bidding when Norway, Russia and Germany bid. We must give them priority.

I did not say that always must give them priority.

Germany virtually never vs. Korea never.

Between the two countries, Priority must be give to Germany.

It's natural.as a salty brine.

Korea is trying to hitch a ride in front of Germany has made great contributions for winter sport in the past 100 years.

- Germany had 80 years ago and a very smaller scale.

It is difficult to give greater meaning, so should have one more chance.

Right now, When considering their tradition, passion and contribution, We can't say to wait.

Another insulting argument, this time to the Greeks and the French. Greece gave the world the Olympics, and even they didn’t get to host the centennial Games in 1996 despite being favoured. If the Greeks can wait 8 years, so can Munich.

The French revived the Olympics, and Paris didn’t even get to win the 2012 bid, when they were the favourites, and there was no disadvantage geopolitically. If Paris can wait 8 years, so can Munich.

And if Germany has “virtually never hosted” the Winter Games, like you say, then neither had Athens before 2004, and neither has Paris. Anyone can wait.

Another insulting argument, this time to the Greeks and the French. Greece gave the world the Olympics, and even they didn’t get to host the centennial Games in 1996 despite being favoured. If the Greeks can wait 8 years, so can Munich.

Insult is your word and I dont think you are right.

Why cant you accept, that there are people outside Korea, that dont feel comfortable with Winter Games in Korea? So far Korea has shown very little interest in winters sport. They dont have any decent athletes in the majority of the disciplines. They promised to do it now, but they already have promised it in the past.

Insult is your word and I dont think you are right.

Why cant you accept, that there are people outside Korea, that dont feel comfortable with Winter Games in Korea? So far Korea has shown very little interest in winters sport. They dont have any decent athletes in the majority of the disciplines. They promised to do it now, but they already have promised it in the past.

If Annecy must loose I hope will be against Munich, because even I think Annecy venue are better than Munich venue, Munich could offer a great experience in good condition and the show will be good. ;)

If PC win, I think the sport, the show and Athletes will be the big looser... I don't want that. <_<

But I think Annecy have the best arguments in this race !!! :P

They promised to do it now, but they already have promised it in the past.

Korean Ski-jumping athletes in 1997, there was the only 4 athletes.

14 years later now still 4 athletes.

The other sports all the same.

Just Alpensia resort construction with debt 700 million dollars.

Korea young people does not participate to "Dream program"

I can't tolerate the their hypocrisy and lie.

Archived