Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soaring

Bid Index Results

Here are the first results:

Annecy (ACY)

Munich (MUN)

PyeongChang (PCH)

No surprises here. Pyeonchang's only weakness is its airport being so far from the sites. Dunno why the Koreans aren't making a closer, regional airport an international one. This one country=one gateway airport is silly anyway.

I'm very surprise by the bid index result... only 51.44 for Annecy? <_<

Why? I think people who make this index doesn't like France or they don't know well French Alps... Annecy have a big potential, bigger than PC or Munich... Annecy have more infrastructure than PC... Annecy is underestimate just because people here doesn't know this city...

I will be very happy when in july 2011 annecy will win,

Why? I think people who make this index doesn't like France or they don't know well French Alps... Annecy have a big potential, bigger than PC or Munich... Annecy have more infrastructure than PC... Annecy is underestimate just because people here doesn't know this city...

And so it starts again...

There's no Anglo agenda on this site as far as I know. The bidindex had Paris top from start to finish for the 2012 race. :P

Also, the index doesn't measure the quality of the bids per se, rather its chances of getting elected based on past trends. Read more here:

http://www.gamesbids.com/eng/bidindex1.html

And I'm sure the mod, Rob can tell you more about how it all works as well.

I am intrigued by this statement because I have never been to Annecy (and have been to PyeongChang). The comment that Annecy has more infrastructure is what I am curious about... do you mean "event hosting structure" or "transportation" structure.

I would honestly be shocked if Annecy had a better transportation infrastructure than PC. But, am curious to know more about this city.

I am intrigued by this statement because I have never been to Annecy (and have been to PyeongChang). The comment that Annecy has more infrastructure is what I am curious about... do you mean "event hosting structure" or "transportation" structure.

I would honestly be shocked if Annecy had a better transportation infrastructure than PC. But, am curious to know more about this city.

Annecy has a better transportation than PC! The first international airport is only to 25 minutes to Annecy and the second 1H... Annecy and ski resort like Chamonix, Flaine, St Gervais, Megève are already connected by High speed Train with Paris. Annecy is connected by Highway with Geneva, Paris and Chamonix, St Gervais.... The transportation infrastructure are already ready to welcome tourist... And more developed than PC, Annecy and Haute Savoie are the first world destination for Ski and mountains tourist. It's the reason why Annecy is already top compared with PC. Industry winter sport and mountain tourism has existed for over a century... For PC only 15 years about.

About Event Hosting structure, The ceremony stadium is already used each year for the lake festival, just the ski jump structure miss and the speed skating stadium, and a new stadium for artistic skating. Winter sport are very present in Annecy... Never PC could have the same level to host winter games...

Now, that PC is already at the beginning in the lead, I think they have it in their bag. Munich has only a chance if Annecy withdraws, but I dont see it coming.

Annecy has a better transportation than PC! The first international airport is only to 25 minutes to Annecy and the second 1H... Annecy and ski resort like Chamonix, Flaine, St Gervais, Megève are already connected by High speed Train with Paris. Annecy is connected by Highway with Geneva, Paris and Chamonix, St Gervais.... The transportation infrastructure are already ready to welcome tourist... And more developed than PC, Annecy and Haute Savoie are the first world destination for Ski and mountains tourist. It's the reason why Annecy is already top compared with PC. Industry winter sport and mountain tourism has existed for over a century... For PC only 15 years about.

About Event Hosting structure, The ceremony stadium is already used each year for the lake festival, just the ski jump structure miss and the speed skating stadium, and a new stadium for artistic skating. Winter sport are very present in Annecy... Never PC could have the same level to host winter games...

LIES!! Don't believe him. If Annency has the better transport infrastructure, then WHY will it budget $1.2 billion for transport services during the Games?? :blink: And Tulsa has never even been to PyeongChang, much less Korea.

Annecy 2018 proposed a budget for Transport of 2.1 billions USD compared to the 3.6 billions USD of Pyeonchang !!!!

For Annecy 1 billion is just for upgrading and renovating the existing infrastructures... (as requested by IOC, all costs are taken into account even if already planned in some public budgets for the coming years). So 1.1 for New infrastructures !

For Pyeonchang 3 billions are for new infrastructures to built ! And only 0.6 on existing infrastructures...

So, we could confirm that actually the transporation system in Annecy is better than the one in Pyeonchang.... as less investments are needed to built new infrastructures.

LIES!! Don't believe him. If Annency has the better transport infrastructure, then WHY will it budget $1.2 billion for transport services during the Games?? :blink: And Tulsa has never even been to PyeongChang, much less Korea.

:rolleyes:

You are just a SHAME, Why do you come here to talk? :angry:

Obviously you do not know PC or Annecy, or Munich, it's you who speaks without knowledge. I live in Annecy, I have Already travel in Munich and German Alps, I have some friend who are Korean...

But I think you don't know Annecy or Munich or PC...

When I talk here, i know what i say! I'm not making as you.

Compared with Annecy and Munich, PC transport infrastructure are just ridiculous for the moment...

Annecy has the better transport infrastructure than PC, it's a realty and to announce the opposite is stupid...

stopped talking about what you do not know.

The Alps are more develop than Korea for tourism and winter sport and even they spend lot of money, they will still lag behind!

Please stop to talk here just to troll...

Annecy 2018 proposed a budget for Transport of 2.1 billions USD compared to the 3.6 billions USD of Pyeonchang !!!!

For Annecy 1 billion is just for upgrading and renovating the existing infrastructures... (as requested by IOC, all costs are taken into account even if already planned in some public budgets for the coming years). So 1.1 for New infrastructures !

For Pyeonchang 3 billions are for new infrastructures to built ! And only 0.6 on existing infrastructures...

So, we could confirm that actually the transporation system in Annecy is better than the one in Pyeonchang.... as less investments are needed to built new infrastructures.

Awesome! Another reason to give it to PC... look at the legacy it'll leave. Since Annecy has all of the infrastructure in place.. there is no benefit to them hosting, right? Give it to Korea where not only can the legacy of winter sport grow but so can the infrastructure of the country! What a reward. :) Go PC.

When I talk here, i know what i say! I'm not making as you.

Compared with Annecy and Munich, PC transport infrastructure are just ridiculous for the moment...

Annecy has the better transport infrastructure than PC, it's a realty and to announce the opposite is stupid...

For the record. Korea's transportation network is one to be envied. If you have been there, you would experience it. They haven't built the high-speed line out east of Seoul yet and that's, I imagine, where a major expense will be attributed. But, the knowledge is there.

You make it seem like your perception of Korea is a back-water hillbilly nation with no infrastructure. There were reasons that they were the only (arguable) country in the world that did not suffer through a recession. They do things right. They have a track-record of doing things right. To a level that is enviable by at least myself (Canadian standard). The world is/has taken notice of Korea's economic success (Time Magazine Link: http://curiouscapitalist.blogs.time.com/2010/03/24/why-south-korea-matters/) and they have money to BURN on the Olympics.

As for winter sport experience... the country was (until I would argue the Seoul Olympics) never a democratic country. They never invested in sport and weren't a world-player. Look at what they have accomplished in 20 years! Imagine what they will do with the Olympics and an opportunity to build on their infrastructure. You say... "look to the past".... I say "look to the future". And that's PC.

Why I would like speak with someone who visibly, he don't know nothing about the 3 bid city... You speak but I'm sure you haven't read the 3 bids books and moreover you never go to Annecy, PC or Munich. You don't have knowledge about winter games... Come back speak with me when you will really know what you're talking. :rolleyes:

So far a very boring race, inst it!?

Well, it really is just a two-horse race, not that that necessarily means it is automatically boring. But I'm surprised I haven't see a lot of marketing momentum out there so far. By this stage for 2014, I felt Sochi was already starting to be pitching their campaign quite successfully and building that momentum.

Probably for a lot of us, it's as much of interest in its implications for 2020 as for whether we're PC or Munich (or Annecy) supporters.

But don't worry about that. Madrid was always last during the 2016 bid process and look what happened, it ended up second, much better than Chicago and Tokyo, and even managed to win the first round. ;)

Having lots of airports doesn't help Pyeonchang. Not having an international one very close (not even temporarily designating a local one as international) is a HUGE disadvantage. According to their applicant file:

"{Incheon} is roughly 240 km (140 minutes) from PyeongChang."

Yangyang International Airport is 45km from the coastal cluster and 68 from the mountain cluster. It will ONLY service the Olympic family during the Games--and then via shuttle flights from Incheon. A MAJOR headache after a 12+ hour flight (Europe or North America)

How far is Munich's airport (a Lufthansa hub, no less)? 35km and connected by rapid rail within the terminals and busses. Flights from North America are no more than 11 hours to Munich...flights "from" Europe clearly less.

They should've upgraded YangYang airport. As far as I can see it's the only MAJOR deficiency...but it's a doozy!

They should've upgraded YangYang airport. As far as I can see it's the only MAJOR deficiency...but it's a doozy!

I don't know what you mean by 'upgrade'. If you are talking about the facility itself, I don't think it needs upgrading. As I understand it there are many large airports around Korea that were constructed for political/prestige reasons. But the number of gates way exceeds demand. The problem with YangYang is that there are no/very few flights that use the airport.

For the Olympics it might be possible to temporarily have some flights run in, but I am not sure how feasible that is assuming the airlines would have drastic fixed expenses for very little temporary traffic.