Bangkok Has Hosted the Most Asian Games - Four

Jim856796

The city of Bangkok in Thailand has hosted the 1966, 1970, 1978, ad 1998 Asian Games - the most out of any host city. The 1970 Games had been awarded to Seoul (which later hosted the 1986 Games), but they later dropped out after receiving security threats from North Korea. The 1978 Games were originally awarded to Pakistan (probably Karachi), though they dopped their plan to host the games due to conflicts with Bangladesh and India. The games were then awarded to Singapore, which backed out for financial reasons. Bangkok had to bid to host the 1998 Asian Games.

Bangkok has also hosted the 1959, 1967, 1975, and 1985 Southeast Asian Games, the 2005 Asian Indoor Games, the 2009 Asin Martial Arts Games, and the 2007 Summer Universiade. With that kind of multi-sport event experience, I can say that Bangkok needs to bid for a Summer Olympic Games. if any member presents me with any arguments about this, I will answer to them.

Poor Bangkok. I like the city, I like the idea of them hosting, they did bid for 2008 (but didn't make the short list), and they sorta should be in a position to host, but i just can't realistically picture it any time soon. The pace is chaotic, steamy hot and humid and while politically it always seems to stumble along, it never ever seems quite stable either.

/\ Plus, it would only get my support if the agreed to include a "Getting to Know you" number (Mrs. Anna and the Royal brats) in the Opening Ceremony. Otherwise, forget it!!

LOL! I had to play one of the Royal Brats in primary school when we staged the TKAI for the parents.

The Uncle Tom's Cabin set-piece would work great in an OC! Maybe Bangkok 2096's tribute to Atlanta!

THe problem with those SE Asian cities (Bankgkok, Jakarta, Manila, KL -- and even as far away as Doha and Delhi) is the heat, the humidity and the monsoon/rainy season in the summer months. Which is why the CWG 1998, the 2006 Asians, the upcoming CWG in Delhi and the previous Asian Games it hosted all took place or are going to happen October - December...because those months are the most tolerable for that region.

Also, which is why I think they gave the inaugural YOGs to Singapore so there are no performance records from more temperate locations to match against. All the records from the 'humid' 1st Singapore Summer YOGs will be the starting point for all future YOG performances.

I went to Bangkok last month. It's exactly like Manila -- congested, dirty, with a few nice spots here and there. The Thai government seems to have an obsession with elevated highways, but even with that vehicular traffic is horrible. The city center is cramped and the general layout of the city is hard to navigate, but it does have a good train system. And as with what Baron has said, the summer heat in the SEA region is oppressive.

On a political and social note, I don't think spending for a big sporting event would be wise for Bangkok in the short term (i.e. 'short' in Olympic bidding time frame terms). They've got major poverty issues in the outlying provinces and regions, and judging by the rallies happening in the country right now (I was caught in one and got stuck in the road for almost three hours -- it was crazy), an Olympic Summer bid would have very low public support.

I went to Bangkok last month. It's exactly like Manila -- congested, dirty, with a few nice spots here and there. The Thai government seems to have an obsession with elevated highways, but even with that vehicular traffic is horrible. The city center is cramped and the general layout of the city is hard to navigate, but it does have a good train system. And as with what Baron has said, the summer heat in the SEA region is oppressive.

On a political and social note, I don't think spending for a big sporting event would be wise for Bangkok in the short term (i.e. 'short' in Olympic bidding time frame terms). They've got major poverty issues in the outlying provinces and regions, and judging by the rallies happening in the country right now (I was caught in one and got stuck in the road for almost three hours -- it was crazy), an Olympic Summer bid would have very low public support.

Exactly why KL is a better bet.

Exactly why KL is a better bet.

Yes, T...but the climate is still the same in the Olympic months...July/August. So that whole swath from Manila - Singapore - Delhi - Doha cannot seriously HOST an Olympics unless they move it to October - December which is highly unlikely because it then conflicts with the rest of the sports calendar and the TV schedules of the US, western Europe and Japan - the 3 primary markets of Olympic TV money.

I've even venture to say that any city within 1500mi of each side of the equator...so the whole equatorial belt of 3,000mi is NOT conducive to being a summer Olympic host in July - early Sept.

I would rather have Kuala Lumpur as the first Southeast Asian city to host the Summer Olympics, however, they needs to host the Asian Games first and their chance may come in 2019. Then sometime later, it can bid for a Summer Olympics in the 2030s and later this century, Bangkok should host the Olympics. Plenty of useful structures such as the Baiyoke Sky Hotel and the Rajamangala Stadium will be old by then, but I don't think age should be a concern in modern structures that are well-maintained.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The venue plan for a Bangkok Summer Olympics

Ceremonies Bangkok National Stadium - 85,000

Diving Aquatic Centre - 10,000

Swimming Aquatic Centre - 10,000

Synchronised Swimming Aquatic Centre - 10,000

Water Polo Thammasat University Aquatic Centre - 5,000

Canoe/Kayak Sprint new venue

Canoe/Kayak Slalom Regatta Pool

BMX new venue

Mountain Biking Khao Yai National Park

Road Cycling new venue

Track Cycling Velodrome - 5,000

Artistic Gymnastics Olympic Gymnasium 1 - 16,000

Rhythmic Gymnastics Olympic Gymnasium 1 - 16,000

Trampolining Olympic Gymnasium 1 - 16,000

Beach Volleyball Chonburi

Indoor Volleyball Hua Mark Indoor Stadium - 15,000

Equestrian new venue to replace the Nang Lerng race course

Wrestling Challenger Hall 3 - 7,000

Archery Royal Field - 5,000

Athletics Bangkok National Stadium - 85,000

Badminton IMPACT Halls 1-4 - 10,000

Basketball IMPACT Arena - 12,000

Boxing Olympic Gymnasium 2 - 8,000

Fencing Thammasat University Gymnasium 4, 5, and 6 - 6,000

Football Bangkok National Stadium - 85,000

Rajamangala Stadium - 49,749

Suphatchalasai Stadium - 26,000

Thammasat University Main Stadium - 20,000

700th Anniversary Stadium, Chiang Mai - 25,000

333rd Anniversary Stadium, Nakhon Ratchasima - 20,141

Central Stadium, Suphanburi - 10,000

Central Stadium in Nakhon Sawan - 15,000

Tinasulanont Stadium, Songkhla - 20,000

Field Hockey Hockey Field - 6,000

Handball Thammasat University Gymnasium 1, 2, and 3 - 5,000

Judo Challenger Hall 1 - 7,000

Modern Pentathlon Thammasat University Complex

Rowing Regatta Pool

Sailing Chonburi

Shooting new venue

Table Tennis Challenger Hall 2 - 7,000

Taekwondo Challenger Hall 1 - 7,000

Tennis Tennis Centre - 10,000

Triathlon Chonburi

Weightlifting Nimibutr Gymnasium - 5,000

Golf Unknown venue

Rugby 7s Suphatchalasai Stadium - 26,000

* The Bangkok National Stadium, Aquatics Centre, Gymnasium 1, Gymnasium 2, Velodrome, Tennis Centre, and the BMX venue can be part of the new Olympic Park.

• 1 month later...

I would rather have Kuala Lumpur as the first Southeast Asian city to host the Summer Olympics, however, they needs to host the Asian Games first and their chance may come in 2019. Then sometime later, it can bid for a Summer Olympics in the 2030s and later this century, Bangkok should host the Olympics. Plenty of useful structures such as the Baiyoke Sky Hotel and the Rajamangala Stadium will be old by then, but I don't think age should be a concern in modern structures that are well-maintained.

KL have officially withdrawn from bidding, however. So now it is down to Dubai, Hong Kong, Manila, Singapore, Taipei and Hanoi. New Delhi, perhaps quite wisely, also withdrew.

• 2 weeks later...

Having lived there before and still visiting multiple times per year, I can unequivocably say that Bangkok would not be fit to host the Summer Olympics in my lifetime. Weather issues, city layout issues, venue/infrastructure issues, lack of general populace interest-in-sporting-issues, political stability issues (which will increase when the King dies, which cannot be too far off now), and perhaps most of all, that famous Thai "mai pen rai" attitude. (look it up if you are curious). I love the Thais socially but getting anything done on a business/project management basis is a tough rough to hoe. The Thais ain't the Chinese. I fear that preparation for a Bangkok Summer Games would resemble the current Delhi Commonwealth Games fiasco far more than those of the Beijing Olympics. There's a fallacy in just mentally scaling up the Asian Games and thinking it automatically translates into being able to host a successful Olympics.

• 1 month later...

Archived