South Africa 2010 headed for commercial flop

So, commercial flop is far from the truth. 130,000 tickets in 2 days, with more than 50 still to come until the WC. Do you think this 500,000 lot will be sold out, Mo?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, as Mo has posted... the commercial flop won't happen.

About the discussion if an underdeveloped country should spent all this money... I see that some people from developed countries are just hypocrital. All the countries are far from perfection and in that case, even in Scandinavian countries, money spent would be a waste if there are still poor people. Ok, in Norway there could be a really small amount of people suffering from poverty, but if poverty is really a "crime against humanity" it's terrible if it happens to just 1 person or to 3 million people.

The thing is that South Africa, Brazil and the rest of other developing countries aren't hosting this events just because they want to throw their money... they are investing in a more modern infraestructure, in a new vision for their nations in the rest of the world, etc... South Africa could "waste" millions of dollars but if the return in the long term is bigger, it was a good decision, especially for the people with more needs. And as someone said before... maybe you can't end poverty from one day to another, but at least, the World Cup could bring joy to the people suffering...

I was very skeptical about South Africa when it was chosen but now I think it was a good decision... good luck!

So, commercial flop is far from the truth. 130,000 tickets in 2 days, with more than 50 still to come until the WC. Do you think this 500,000 lot will be sold out, Mo?

It was never a commercial flop. The LOC broke-even a month before this thread was open. FIFA have recorded the highest event revenues for a World Cup cycle. MATCH has broke-even, and 130,000 tickets of the remaining 500,000 are now sold.

Thats 2.33 million tickets of the 2.7 million available now sold. Hardly "empty stadia".

I think 300,000 of the 500,000 will be sold.

I really don't see NZ vs Slovakia pulling crowds.

Cape Town, Durban and Johannesburg are now sold out, incl. about close to half the matches, most matches featuring African teams, as well as the SF, F and 3 of the 4 QF.

Even if the stadia were "empty" once you hit the Round of 16, every match is a huge match and will likely be packed to capacity.

Archived