CWGs in South Africa

So will South Africa finally stump up and have its turn for the CWGs for 2022?

I almost think it's a duty as part of one of the more prosperous, high profile and influential members of the Commonwealth, especially within Africa, to shoulder the burden eventually, and sooner rather than later.

Yeah, it should be an honour to stage any games anyway, but the CWGs in particular relies on the willingness of the group of hosting-capable countries within it to take their turns in carrying forward its legacy for the benefit of all. And also with the hope it can be passed on whenever possible on new areas and country's that have grown in ability and stature in the meantime to the point of being able to host as well.

I really DO think it's about time Africa had a CWGs hosting turn. But I don't think there's any realistic options outside South Africa. I still have doubts about Nigeria (but I admit it's hard for me to be objective on that case). And while I admit it's been almost exactly a decade since I'd visited Kenya and Tanzania, what I saw then didn't instill confidence either would be able to manage the burden for a long, long time. (And nairobi, I believe, also has an altitude hindrance to hosting such an event).

I guess obviously South Africa's Olympic ambitions have to be factored in (and the fact they didn't bid for 2018 seems to me one of the clearest indications a 2020 bid will be ON). But win or lose for 2020 or 24 or whenever, the Olympics shouldn't preclude a South African Commies. Canada, Oz and the UK have all hosted, or will host, CWGs, within very short spans from the Olympics.

I know South Africa in the past (for 2014) has stepped aside for Nigeria on the excuse of letting it have a clear CWGs shot in Africa in exchange for the 2010 WC Cup in SA, but surely that's not an everlasting blank cheque? Nigeria played that deal in 2014, and came short, and declined to cash it again for 2018. I think South Africa can assume, with 2010 behind it and perhaps even an Olympics (or hopes of one soon) under its belt, that all bets are off now and it can campaign for what it wants and can get.

The Olympics is the key factor here. I think we all assume it would be Cape Town rather than anywhere else that puts forward an Olympic bid, and I think they would only go for the Commonwealth Games of the back of a failed bid - perhaps 2022, perhaps 2026 if they go for the 2024 Olympics.

Should Cape Town win the Olympic Bid though that is when I think other cities might come in as contenders to host the Commonwealth Games, but probably not until the 2030's.

• 2 months later...

And some indication that South Africa is planning on stepping up to the CWGs plate:

SOUTH African sports officials are hoping a successful FIFA World Cup will help them break down sport's last remaining frontier - and bring the Olympics to the only continent never to stage it.

Rio's successful 2016 bid made much of the fact the Games had never been held in South America and Gideon Sam, president of the South Africa Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee, believes he can make a similar case.

Sam also hinted South Africa will also look at staging the Commonwealth Games in 2022, although they didn't put forward a candidate for the 2018 Games which will be a straight head-to-head between Australia's Gold Coast and Hambantota, in Sri Lanka.

"Our Minister of Sport has been very encouraging of such a prospect. He even turned round to me and said "what are we waiting for?" and he's absolutely right," he added.

"We are even looking at bidding for a Commonwealth Games even sooner. There is no reason why we shouldn't be in the frame for these kinds of spectacles."

Morethanthegames.co.uk - full story

Looks like the rainbow nation will beat Abuja to the first African CWGs.

B);)

:) If South Africa goes with a sooner rather than later bid, New Zealand would probibly ditch Gold Coast support and prop up South Africa...Which in turn could dramatically finish off the Queensland bid - Would Gold Coast differ it's bid so late in the piece?

:) If South Africa goes with a sooner rather than later bid, New Zealand would probibly ditch Gold Coast support and prop up South Africa...Which in turn could dramatically finish off the Queensland bid - Would Gold Coast differ it's bid so late in the piece?

Too late for 2018. If they';re talking sooner rather than later, they;'d have to be referring to 2022.

Only the mighty Hambantota stands between the GC and being formally anointed 2018 host.

Only the mighty Hambantota stands between the GC and being formally anointed 2018 host...

:D Tee Heee...wouldn't it piss you off if Hambantota got to the finish line first? :D

:P Or Australia winning the rest of theirs...(at least we know we don't stand a chance!)

...Oh yes and your calling out JJ - I'll leave him a PM to join in! ;)

:rolleyes: Anyhooo, getting back...

Ghana or South Africa will be the nations that will either host the first African CWGs...

IMO Nigeria has dicked around with the Commonwealth movement for far too long (boycott stirring, standover tactics, threats etc). And further more they will be watching with utter heartbreak as their former advesary starts to settle in as a great MAJOR african sports host. Taking the event that Nigeria so desperatly wanted to host (FIFA WC). No, Nigeria has blown it for all time.

Is it really too late for Cape Town to bid for 2018?

:rolleyes: Anyhooo, getting back...

Ghana or South Africa will be the nations that will either host the first African CWGs...

IMO Nigeria has dicked around with the Commonwealth movement for far too long (boycott stirring, standover tactics, threats etc). And further more they will be watching with utter heartbreak as their former advesary starts to settle in as a great MAJOR african sports host. Taking the event that Nigeria so desperatly wanted to host (FIFA WC). No, Nigeria has blown it for all time.

Is it really too late for Cape Town to bid for 2018?

Yes, deadline was March 31.

...No special exception can be lodged?...i.e. the CGF are allowed to admit a latecommer or would Nigeria (being what they are) lodge a legal challenge... :mellow:

...No special exception can be lodged?...i.e. the CGF are allowed to admit a latecommer or would Nigeria (being what they are) lodge a legal challenge... :mellow:

It was Nigeria that declined to bid. Pure and simple. They knew the deadline. There's no grounds for any challenge. They are out. Not in it. Not a contender. Subject over.

Ditto Auckland. Gold Coast would probably not have bid if NZ was going for it. But NZ said no. So GC took the baton. And will now win 2018 by default.

...Yeah I don't think we'll see NZ hosting the CWGs again...the return just wasn't worth it for Aucklands tatty infrastructure. 2022 will land in South Africa's lap. Leads to the idea of prehaps the CGF should've done a double whammy bid like FIFA and IRB did? Might have got more enthusism? :huh:

...Yeah I don't think we'll see NZ hosting the CWGs again...the return just wasn't worth it for Aucklands tatty infrastructure. 2022 will land in South Africa's lap. Leads to the idea of prehaps the CGF should've done a double whammy bid like FIFA and IRB did? Might have got more enthusism? :huh:

A fair enough suggestion. It might have been the best chance for an Abuja or Ghana, to host.

A fair enough suggestion. It might have been the best chance for an Abuja or Ghana, to host.

Have to admit I am looking forward to 2018...Glasgow just doesn't seem to light the fire of 'exotic' excitment. I'd say the CGF will look at the empty chest after October and think along the lines of a double draw for 2022 - 26. :huh:

I still reckon a Winter Commonwealth games is feasible...

I still reckon a Winter Commonwealth games is feasible...

The trouble is, there are only two countries that could feasibly stage them - Canada and NZ. India, perhaps, at a pinch.

And the medal podiums would just be a Canuck party.

Archived