Toronto 1996

Soaring

Some have said the only reason Toronto lost was because of the money on offer from Atlanta. The IOC doesn't care how games are financed.

And its been said before, and I'll say it again, the UK, Australia, Canada and the USA were working together to prevent Athens from getting the games. They told their supporters to shift to another English city once they dropped out. If Atlanta had dropped out instead of Toronto it would be highly likely we would be remembering Toronto 1996 and hearing b!tching from the Euros that Canada hosted 3 games in 20 years instead of the US hosting 4 games in 22 years.

Some have said the only reason Toronto lost was because of the money on offer from Atlanta. The IOC doesn't care how games are financed.

Well, the rumor is even bigger that that, some people say that Turner Entertainment, and most strongly Coca-Cola had a powerful economic influence for Atlanta bid, that's why Atlenta '96 are called "The Coca-Cola Olympics"

So how come Munich wasn't the "BMW Games"?

Well, there wasn't as much echonimic influence as in Atlanta or any others, but they could certainly be :rolleyes: in fact now that I remind Torino 2006 would be the "FIAT Games" :P

So how come Munich wasn't the "BMW Games"?

That's simple, Munich organizers tried so very hard to distance themselves from BMW. Going so far as to cover that BMW sign (I think) on the new (back then) BMW headquarters, and removing badges from cars. :P

Archived