Future CWG Cities...

Alexjc

<_< Yeah Yeah, I know, 'One of these again'...

:unsure: But now we really are heading towards the unknown. We pretty much know this decade is now all booked up, and the CWGs just don't look that more secure in the future. New Zealand has bowed out, probibly for good while others seem disinterested. Where are we heading guys - your picks.

This is my results from the Tea Leaves - for the rest of my life anyway: brackets are second place getters

2022 Singapore (Cape Town wins '20 SOGs)(Ottawa)

2026 London (Hambanthota)

2030 Hamilton,Ont. (Darwin)

2034 Adelaide (Mumbai)

2038 Durban (Accra)

2042 Auckland (not winning '40 SOGs) (Perth)

2046 Mumbai(Birmingham)

2050 Accra (Birmingham)

2054 Birmingham (Bridgetown)

2060 Bridgetown (Perth)

Interesting? You can see a long gap in Australian hostings due to the fact that Australia will definatly host an Olympic Games during this time, also a potential Indian hosting of the SOGs are included. I only threw Auckland in as the Government is starting to look at a keystone event for NZ's bi-centenary in 2040 and there is the potential of Christchurch hosting a WOGs in the mid to late 20's as well.

Still the floor is open...And be serious guys, please. :)

2056 is probibly when I cark it. :P

:blink: whoops,

2058 Bridgetown (Perth)

• 2 months later...

I think Birmingham needs to bid for a Commonwealth Games. Four of the venues are already in place:

Villa Park

National Indoor Arena

National Exhibition Centre

NEC Arena

May have to repurpose the City of Birmingham Stadium as the main stadium for any Commonwealth Games bid.

Haven't we all learnt enough to realise it's pointless to even try and predict more than the one ahead?

That said, i don't think the CWgs as a whole are as shaky as some claim. Like I said in another thread, there was never a "Golden Age" where the CWGs were a rival to the Olympics and a top tier event. They just are what they always have been - a second tier multisport games with a limited possible hosting pool.

And that said, I think South Africa is set for 2022. They've at last expressed the desire for the CWGs specifically, I still don't fancy their chances of landing the SOGs for 2020, and even if they do bid (as seems likely) for that, I think it's starting to look more likely that Jo-burg or Durban will do the Oly bidding. Leaving Cape Town, or maybe Durban, to get the 2022 CWGs by acclamation.

Singapore i can see quite soon. Noit much else in ASia. Maybe KL again some time down the track.

Canada I get the feeling has tentatively got it's eye on the 2030 centenary.

The UK, Wales and England in particular, will be in the mix on most occasions where they haven't just hosted.

I do agree there will be a wait for Oz after Gold Coast 2018. I'd be happy enough if Sydney went for it, but don't particularly care. I don't think it's on Sydney's radar as much as the Hobarts, Adelaide, Canberras or Perths of the world.

And typical Kiwi self-doubt to think it's never gonna host any more. Like the Rugby WC, it's something that's destined to come to the Shaky Isles again, and again, in the future. No doubt of that at all.

Apart from South Africa, I think the rest of the continent is still a dead loss. Maybe, and I almost hate to say this, Nigeria down the track in a decade or two. Hope it's with Lagos rather than A-booger.

The obvious contenders for the next few additions (assuming Gold Coast hosts 2018) would be cities like Birmingham and from South Africa (Durban?), Canada (Hamilton, Calgary?) and New Zealand (Auckland, Christchurch, Wellington).

Dependent on Delhi 2010, India, Pakistan and perhaps even Sri Lanka could have another chance over the coming decades.

The next most obvious Australian host would be Adelaide. However, I would think Sydney, Perth and Hobart would all show some interest in a potential bid.

Melbourne and Brisbane will be too focused on the Olympics.

I think Toronto should host the 2030 Commonwealth Games instead of Hamilton. This is part of a "Triple Crown For Toronto": Hst a Pan American Games first, a Commonwealth Games, and then an olympic Games. Throw in a Universiade and make it a Grand Slam.

I think Toronto should host the 2030 Commonwealth Games instead of Hamilton. This is part of a "Triple Crown For Toronto": Hst a Pan American Games first, a Commonwealth Games, and then an olympic Games. Throw in a Universiade and make it a Grand Slam.

Toronto should just go for the Big One and leave the CWGs to Hamilton or Ottawa...Canada has well proven it is more than capiable of hosting the Olympics...They need to put the 1976 monkey to sleep once and for all.

Archived