No football at Commonwealth Games?

Mau2010

Does anybody know why there's no football at CWGs?...

:( Far too expensive to operate, ALSO collides with FIFA WC...The CGF have dealt with this issue before and already have cost issues ever since teams events were added in 1998. A top 16 knock out was proposed but matches would have to be underway a fortnight before.

The World Cup makes it a non-starter, while Seb Blatter probably wouldn't do anything to help it's course. Football seems to always insist on tournaments beginning with a round robin stage, so although 100m runner can have their games over after 10 seconds on the track, footballers have to get three games in, all three days apart to rest their little overpaid legs!

If it were a 16-team pure knock out tournament in theory is could be done over 10 days, with round 1 on day 1, QFs on day 4, SFs on day 7 and the final on day 10.

• 2 weeks later...

^^^ Exactly, look at Toronto 2015. They're using small football stadiums in the city for it's football competition.

If I recall, Hamilton proposed Football for 2010 using a similar 4 or so venue format within the city. It can work. Just have 4 10,000 seater venues within the host city or region and one over 25,000 (or the athletics venue even at 40,000+) for the finals.

I wouldn't mind having say a 16 team format Football tournament for the Commonwealth Games. The question is, how would teams qualify? Will it be based on FIFA rankings and host nation?

I was thinking more of cricket when I said that, to be honest. If you have a Twenty20 tournament in the Commonwealths, for example, you could potentially only need one venue, particularly if that venue has a very large square that you can have a number of match wickets on.

Although crickets calendar is pretty ridiculous now. Summer tours seem to run straight into winter tours then back into summer tours, with some World Cup of some sort seeming to take place virtually every year.

If the games are in the UK they'd certainly clash with the England summer test series, while if in March/April they now clash with the IPL and the games in Delhi are only a matter of weeks before the Ashes series.

Also I think more than one venue would be needed. I'd imagine 8-12 teams would compete, and it's highly unlikely it would be a straight knock out competition (cricket is pretty notorious for incredibly long world championships!).

At it's shortest I'd imagine the structure would be two groups of four with semi-finals and finals (16 games including bronze medal match), or four groups of three with semi-finals and finals (again 16 games). These could probably be scheduled as double bills so played over eight days, but I think for the surface to be protected a second venue would be required.

It's well known that England was the country where football was invented, so why it's not there? :blink:

Just to make a correction not that it really matters..........

Football originated from China

Table Tennis originated from England

Leant that one at Uni in Sports History

Where would you find 16 teams for the CWG? Sure, the 4 British Home Nations would be the favourites. Maybe some African countries. Canada, Australia, and New Zealand might do OK. But you'd be hard pressed to find any other decent teams.

Let's see a 8 team competition might just work:

You got:

Host Nation of whatever Commonwealth Games -1

The host nation's regional group loses a spot (minus the Americas, which only has one slot), in which that spot becomes a wildcard place.

Europe -2

Asia/Oceania -2

Africa -2

Americas (treated as a whole) -1

WILDCARD -Losing teams from the various regional groups compete against each other for the wildcard, or the 2nd place/3rd place teams are simply pulled out of a hat for that final place.

To avoid conflict with the actual World Cup being held that year, it will be an under 21 only competition. The under 21 teams will face each other in regional competitions prior to the Commonwealth Games.

You then have 2 groups of 5, with the best 2 from each going to the quarterfinals.

The Women's competition will be the same. A 10 team format could be held within 10 days yes? Or even having some preliminaries held prior.

As for venues, have 4 venues (which may include the athletics venue) in the city (which may include nearby city stadiums, if the location is reasonable).

Where would you find 16 teams for the CWG? Sure, the 4 British Home Nations would be the favourites. Maybe some African countries. Canada, Australia, and New Zealand might do OK. But you'd be hard pressed to find any other decent teams.

It could be played with 12 teams (3 groups of 4 each) as Copa America.

Archived