Hambantota 2018

Neck-and-neck race for 2018 Commonwealth Games after Evaluation report published

No clear front runner in the two-horse race for the 2018 Commonwealth Games has emerged after the crucial Evaluation Commission report on the rival bids from the Gold Coast and Hambantota was released.

:) hambantota in a winning position

“Hambantota presents an exciting opportunity for the Commonwealth Games to assist in the development of the city and country in a substantial manner creating an impact. The proposition could provide a blueprint for other Commonwealth nations,”

full report

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, saw that report too. Normally I respect Insidethegames.com. But just how they take "Gold Coast=Low risk versus Hambantota=medium to high risk", and make that "Neck and neck race" is puzzling to say the least.

I think they are basing it on the quality of the bids not the feasibility.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Sri Lanka allegation ahead of Games bid

THERE have been calls for the Commonwealth to suspend or throw Sri Lanka out of the organisation less than a month before the host city of the 2018 Commonwealth Games is announced.

The Gold Coast is vying for the 2018 Commonwealth Games against Sri Lanka's Hambantota, with the host city to be announced at the Commonwealth Games Federation General Assembly on November 11.

The ABC reports Australian Federal Police (AFP) is considering whether there is sufficient evidence for a war crimes investigation against Sri Lanka's top diplomat in Australia - former Sri Lankan navy chief Thisara Samarasinghe.

It comes a fortnight before the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting in Perth.

The AFP confirmed it had received a submission compiled by the International Commission of Jurists, regarding the allegation that Mr Samarasinghe was in charge of navy ships that fired on unarmed civilians as they fled the fighting in the final stages of the civil war, the ABC reports.

Mr Samarasinghe has denied the allegation.

Gold Coast Bulletin

<_< ...your point being?

Most of the Commonwealth group of nations have even worse pasts than this! and that includes the white ones...

I gotta feeling that Gold Coast will be pushed to the wire for the 2018 games...A shoe-in but don't be too complacent, as Kiwis earlier this week, we know what thats like. ;)

<_< ...your point being?

Most of the Commonwealth group of nations have even worse pasts than this! and that includes the white ones...

I gotta feeling that Gold Coast will be pushed to the wire for the 2018 games...A shoe-in but don't be too complacent, as Kiwis earlier this week, we know what thats like. ;)

The point being that in the Commonwealth at the moment, Sri Lanka is on the nose and copping a lot of flack, with the likes of Canada leading the debate whether they should even be suspended from the Commonwealth. And, yes, ALL countries have their skeletons in the closet (even our two fine antipodean lands), but we are not at the moment ruled over by a government with war crimes and human rights allegations over their heads, and we continue to strive to make our countries and societies fairer, acknowledge past mistakes, and stick to a moral code. You're not suggesting that that all should be forgotten or turned a blind eye to just so the games can go to somewhere 'exotic'?

I'm actually a bit more confident about GCs chances in the past few days. While Hambantota has certainly gone about campaigning far better than Abuja's 2014 effort (which, let's face it, isn't saying much, it was a pretty lousy campaign in all aspects), and I think they'll do a bit better than Nigeria, I still think it'll be a quite comfortable win for the GC. What with NZ confirming Oceania will vote en-bloc for GC (13 votes), Jersey a likely sign of where the Euro votes will go (10 votes), Canada I'd be pretty sure on-board, we're only looking at having to make up an extra 8 votes of the other 48-odd. Which I think is highly likely – especially with the cloud that these allegations continue to keep putting the SL government (as opposed to its citizens) under.

...You're not suggesting that that all should be forgotten or turned a blind eye to just so the games can go to somewhere 'exotic'?

– especially with the cloud that these allegations continue to keep putting the SL government (as opposed to its citizens) under.

Well we've let Malaysia and the West Indies host...

I keep forgetting it.

Kip Keino is gone on record listing he supports sri lanka.

Okay - I sawe that, but didn't pay much attention - Kip's been on the Hambandwagon for a while.

Hmmm. I dunno. I keep fluctuating between thinking it will be a rollover for GC, or it could be tight - then again, I thought the same about Abuja - and on this board, that race got VERY nasty and personal.

I think what worries me a bit is a lot of the reporting of the SL bid gives it a credence, and rates its chances, higher than I think it warrants.

I guess I just hope, like the 2014 race, this idea that the exotic location will count a lot over capabilities is overrated by journos and SL domestic boosters who just want to make it sem like it nis a real race.

Oh well, we'll know in just over a week.

Okay - I sawe that, but didn't pay much attention - Kip's been on the Hambandwagon for a while.

Hmmm. I dunno. I keep fluctuating between thinking it will be a rollover for GC, or it could be tight - then again, I thought the same about Abuja - and on this board, that race got VERY nasty and personal.

I think what worries me a bit is a lot of the reporting of the SL bid gives it a credence, and rates its chances, higher than I think it warrants.

I guess I just hope, like the 2014 race, this idea that the exotic location will count a lot over capabilities is overrated by journos and SL domestic boosters who just want to make it sem like it nis a real race.

Oh well, we'll know in just over a week.

If hambantota is awarded the games, then it will be the end of the games. :(

If hambantota is awarded the games, then it will be the end of the games. :(

I wouldn't go that far.

If they win, well, good on them. But they'll have to deliver, which even the CGF admits might be a high-risk assumption. Another Delhi could kill the games, but a successful Hambantota followed by a successful Durban could be a good shot in the arm as well.

I wouldn't go that far.

If they win, well, good on them. But they'll have to deliver, which even the CGF admits might be a high-risk assumption. Another Delhi could kill the games, but a successful Hambantota followed by a successful Durban could be a good shot in the arm as well.

Your right. If Hambantota wins, I can see 2022 being in a more traditional location.

Your right. If Hambantota wins, I can see 2022 being in a more traditional location.

Considering South Africa (which, BTW, is hardly "traditional" for the CWGs yet) has already flagged their interest in going after 2022, I don't think there's any contest for it, no matter who else might bid against them.

Considering South Africa (which, BTW, is hardly "traditional" for the CWGs yet) has already flagged their interest in going after 2022, I don't think there's any contest for it, no matter who else might bid against them.

Which is exactly why Gold Coast will win.

Archived