Hambantota 2018

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sri Lanka to bid for 2018 Commonwealth Games

Jan 13, Colombo: Sri Lanka is preparing to bid for hosting the 2018 Commonwealth Games at Hambanthota.

Sri Lanka's Cabinet yesterday (12) has given its approval for Sports Minister Mahindananda Aluthgamage to proceed with the initial measures to be taken on the bidding process.

Sri Lanka has submitted an Expression of Interest by the March 31, 2010 deadline to host the games in the tsunami devastated southern city which is undergoing massive development.

The government recently opened the new Hambanthota harbor and is in the process of building a second international airport.

An international caliber sports complex is currently under construction and the newly built international cricket stadium is a venue for the upcoming Cricket World Cup 2011.

The government said it has appointed an organizing committee co-chaired by the Minister of Sports and Governor of Central Bank Ajith Nivard Cabraal to prepare the bid for Commonwealth Games.

The beginning, one of the best and unique CWG to be are on track B) some members of GB.COM can can hold what they say and save their little left validity of their words. :)

January 15th today....just wondering at what time they're holding the handover ceremony for the completed grounds fully fitted out for the ICC World Cup? You know...the three including the Hambantota 'Il Duce Papa Rajapaksa Memorial Let's Build a Delusion Ground' that was promised to be finished 6 weeks ago?

Oh that's right...the Chinese labourers engaged on this heroic task haven't completed their job yet have they. May I suggest a visit to the 'Suresh Kalmadi' excuse generator...you know...the one that has such interesting ways of avoiding deadlines :lol::lol:

cattledog oh i mean eusebius65 what kind of ceremony is that,who told you of a ceremony. another imagination stuff man you should stop taking those LSDs.

In Sri Lanka the venues are almost complete. making a fuss about non issue will not win gold coast bid.if you so much interested about the queenslanders tax money games why not say something about the Gold Coast bid. well you don't because the problem you have is something else. :)

Oh dear Herr Goebbels...oops, I mean gamesSL (does the SL stand for self loathing or simply lying), if you think that being unable to meet two deadlines in the construction of three cricket venues set by a major international sports body is a non-issue then you are truly the new Arush Mittal, the new Jim Jones of GamesBids. Instead of worrying about the Gold Coast 2018 effort (which has almost all venues for 2018 ready now) I'd be looking at donating a few hours with the shovel out at the stadia that were promised to the ICC to be ready yesterday. Then again you been shoveling crap in this forum so perhaps you have no time to actually make a worthwhile contribution.

:lol:

:D Did this article made you so happy poor coward,stop taking those LSDs.surely mirigama is not in hambanotota and this will not increase the opportunity of your half flooded desert area bid.

And you dont need to worry about Huichen Investment (Holdings) (Pvt) Ltd investments.this article does not even say what is their requirement (to know if its fair or not). officials will do their best to keep them and well if not find another one whose requirements can be met .

And their are enough hotels in the coastal belt and more hotels are coming up to meet the demands of booming tourism industry

Sri Lanka No.2 in World's Twenty Best Tourist Destinations - National Geographic Channel 2010

Nat Geo surely has rocks in their heads if they think Bali is the 6th best place to visit in the world.

Nat Geo surely has rocks in their heads if they think Bali is the 6th best place to visit in the world.

You have to remember Aronious that NatGeo Channel has also produced such important tourism guides as "Hitler's Stealth Fighter", "Fish Warrior" and "Mexican Border War". The Travel Channel/TLC has way more credibility when it comes to US Cable TV channels focused on tourism.

And let's not forget any of these shows are always partly if not fully funded by the tourism board of the relevant country; I'd rather look to someone like Lonely Planet, Michelin, Fodor or Baedeker for a more honest and accurate reflection of the true tourism value of a fishing port the same size as Bateman's Bay (with far less quality accommodation).

Both local and foreign investors have the ‘hots’ for Hambantota and are scooting sites for mega leisure, manufacturing and other such projects, according to government sources.

Dubai-based hotel chain Indigo has expressed interest in a 100-acre land in Hambantota for a mega hotel project, following the deal for a similar project by the Hong Kong based Shangri-La Group in Hambantota,” a source told the Business Times. Shangri-La estimates its luxury hotel is worth over US$ 100 million and this will be their second such project after they decided to build an up market property at Colombo’s army headquarters in a deal that was sealed last month.

The source said that Indigo is scouting land at the moment in Hambantota and interested in beachfront properties. “No sooner the land is finalised they plan to send the project proposal,” he added. He said that some multinationals are also mulling large manufacturing plants in Hambantota. “These are pertaining to diverse industries and will be large scale projects,” he added.

He also said that there are many Chinese hoteliers interested in essentially budget hotels to be put up in Hambantota as well as Colombo. “They see Hambantota as a busy hub when all the proposed projects materialize and want to be ready for the boom,” he added. He said that many Indian chains such as the Taj Group, Chennai-based Asiana Hotels Pvt Ltd and the budget hotels group, the Duet Hotels are interested in some lands down D.R. Wijewardena Mawatha at Colombo 10. The Pan Pacific Hotels Group, which is Singapore-based and the European Accor Hotels, operating in 90 countries have also initiated plans of ‘ideally’ joint venture partnerships with local hotels.

what's missing the games oh well we will get it any way :)

cattledog oh i mean eusebius65 what kind of ceremony is that,who told you of a ceremony. another imagination stuff man you should stop taking those LSDs.

In Sri Lanka the venues are almost complete. making a fuss about non issue will not win gold coast bid.if you so much interested about the queenslanders tax money games why not say something about the Gold Coast bid. well you don't because the problem you have is something else. :)

No they are not.

You got a confirmed airport to be built, or currently being built, a convention centre being built, and a cricket stadium (which I assume upgraded will be the main stadium hosting ceremonies and athletics (unless of course you foolishly decide to build one)). Oh and a hotel or two.

You seriously have little already there, whilst the Gold Coast, largely unaffected by the floods has dozens of high rise hotels, a major convention center already built, a possible existing aquatics centre, a main stadium close to completion but will be upgraded, lawn bowls venue, field hockey venue and numerous other sporting venues already available.

All Hambantota is, is a lot of proposals, without any viable future, particularly the sporting venues, without any viable future other than a mere sports complex.

Gold Coast heavily uses what it has, with new venues either being converted to local recreational facilities post Commonwealth Games, or regional sporting venues. A new major arena for example will find good use as an indoor sporting and entertainment centre, something that the Gold Coast lacks other than the convention centre.

Seriously, once you lose and realize that Colombo would be the best way to go, then you'd have like everyone saying "I told you so".

No they are not.

You got a confirmed airport to be built, or currently being built, a convention centre being built, and a cricket stadium (which I assume upgraded will be the main stadium hosting ceremonies and athletics (unless of course you foolishly decide to build one)). Oh and a hotel or two.

You seriously have little already there, whilst the Gold Coast, largely unaffected by the floods has dozens of high rise hotels, a major convention center already built, a possible existing aquatics centre, a main stadium close to completion but will be upgraded, lawn bowls venue, field hockey venue and numerous other sporting venues already available.

All Hambantota is, is a lot of proposals, without any viable future, particularly the sporting venues, without any viable future other than a mere sports complex.

Gold Coast heavily uses what it has, with new venues either being converted to local recreational facilities post Commonwealth Games, or regional sporting venues. A new major arena for example will find good use as an indoor sporting and entertainment centre, something that the Gold Coast lacks other than the convention centre.

Seriously, once you lose and realize that Colombo would be the best way to go, then you'd have like everyone saying "I told you so".

Don't forget the Suns start playing at Carrara this year David. That means they have at the Gold Coast real footie. Theyll fill that ground with everyone wanting to watch Gary Ablett Junior. I don't see how a place in Sri Lanka that hasn't got more than a cricket stadium can rival all the grounds and ovals on the Gold Coast.

Don't forget the Suns start playing at Carrara this year David. That means they have at the Gold Coast real footie. Theyll fill that ground with everyone wanting to watch Gary Ablett Junior. I don't see how a place in Sri Lanka that hasn't got more than a cricket stadium can rival all the grounds and ovals on the Gold Coast.

Remember there is more to a decision than stadiums and infrastructure.

A city can pull off a bid with very little, but with a promise of a unique Games. Obviously having more infrastructure lowers the risk of selecting a particular city.

The Gold Coast offers a unique Games with a large amount of the required infrastructure planned or in place.

Hambantota offers very suspect plans for a lot of its infrastructure, has no credentials, high risk and offers nothing more (in fact, much much less) than a more suitable city like Colombo.

No they are not.

All is good.with the finishing touches you could see some great work.have to say amazing stuff.

Thats not all, you just mentioned few projects.currently they are building Administrative complexIT parks cinema villages pools various other things which hard to keep track of. Read Sri lanka papers you will see they are starting something every time in hambantota development activities are mega scale.

its possible something like that happening to the stadium initial designs of the stadium even was changed.if so the work will happen after the 2012 T20 cricket world cup.mega hotel projects are coming up(see my post) more will come after Sri Lanka wins the bid.

210mx45.png

yes comparing to Gold Cost for now their is not much.but by 2018 Hambantota will be perfect.Gold Cost maybe unaffected but its poor bid chairman Mark Stockwell has no home.the people who is going to fund this games are suffering by floods.

With the money your spending to stay a couple of nights in those 'high rise hotels' could be used in Sri Lana to stay in a good hotel,buy tickets for the opening and closing ceremony,go for a tour around the country,buy tickets for all the games and at last go home happy buying souvenirs you may get lucky and still have money left to watch some game in Australia.

proposals was thing in the past now its happening time.

Colombo is a nice city but not very planned. the games do not fit their. even if the games was hosted with great difficulty i dont see anything long term.only a more complicated city with angry people who lost their land will be left.that is risk.

yes comparing to Gold Cost for now their is not much.but by 2018 Hambantota will be perfect.Gold Cost maybe unaffected but its poor bid chairman Mark Stockwell has no home.the people who is going to fund this games are suffering by floods.

As far as I know, Gold Coast was largely unaffected by the floods. Had the city been inundated, then we would have heard news of the possibility of bowing out of the 2018 Commonwealth Games bid and focusing on rebuilding. Alternatively it would have given an opportunity (depending on how much damage there might have been) to showcase how the Gold Coast can rebuild from disaster, much like how Hambantota is "trying" to show itself as a city being rebuilt from the 2004 Tsunami.

It's not just going to be the Queensland Government funding this, it would be the Australian Government as a whole, as well as some of the private sector.

Think about a mere billion dollars, it could be a small price to pay, for an event that would bring a much needed up for Queensland after a miserable start of a new decade.

Gold Coast will need some quick plans to protect the city :unsure:

doodlen.png

And what about Hambantota? Does it have any quick plans should another tsunami like the 2004 one comes through? :rolleyes:

The Gold Coast may be flood prone, but it has never experienced a major flood like the scale of the ones seen elsewhere in Queensland and was relatively unaffected other than just heavy rain.

And what about Hambantota? Does it have any quick plans should another tsunami like the 2004 one comes through? :rolleyes:

The Gold Coast may be flood prone, but it has never experienced a major flood like the scale of the ones seen elsewhere in Queensland and was relatively unaffected other than just heavy rain.

Sri Lanka has it Tsunami warning systems, towers in place you can see them near the coast. their are tsunami escape roots even marked.(though its highly unlikely something like in the magnitude of 2004 happening :D)

Sri Lanka has faced so many challenges and won hosting this games is a minor one.

kwk600_2.jpg

^^ and yet, Shepparton and Grafton are probably more capable of hosting the Games then that Sri Lankan back water we keep hearing about.

Okay Aronious, I think it's time we lobbied for a bid competition for the 2022 CWGs...did you want to take Grafton or Shepparton (I've been to both so happy to go with either) :)

Okay Aronious, I think it's time we lobbied for a bid competition for the 2022 CWGs...did you want to take Grafton or Shepparton (I've been to both so happy to go with either) :)

I'll dibs Shepparton. They have three Best Western Motels and I hear the adventure playground out on the Midland Highway is a real hoot!

And unlike Hambatotototottotoa, Shepparton already has a velodrome.

I'll dibs Shepparton. They have three Best Western Motels and I hear the adventure playground out on the Midland Highway is a real hoot!

And unlike Hambatotototottotoa, Shepparton already has a velodrome.

Three Best Westerns? Farkkkk that's impressive. Grafton may not have as many Hoey-Moeys on the Pacific Hwy or Summerlamd Way, but the Jacaranda Festival brings in more visitors per annum than any beach games could.

But you do know Shepparton also has Daryl Twitt Motors...great Ford dealership who'd probably want to sponsor the Shepparton bid.

Three Best Westerns? Farkkkk that's impressive. Grafton may not have as many Hoey-Moeys on the Pacific Hwy or Summerlamd Way, but the Jacaranda Festival brings in more visitors per annum than any beach games could.

But you do know Shepparton also has Daryl Twitt Motors...great Ford dealership who'd probably want to sponsor the Shepparton bid.

but wait! There's more!

In an attempt to outshine the lofty heights of the Hamantota fantasy 2018 bid, Shepparton is proud to announce the most glorious Commonwealth Games Stadium EVER......

THE TIM MATHEISON (yes, the partner of our esteemed PM is a Shepparton local) MEMORIAL COMMONWEALTH GAMES STADIUM!

Stadium-Bundt-Cake-Williams-Sonoma.jpg

rejoice. Hambantota is caught with its pants down yet again.

On a more serious note, the content posted in this thread is laughable. The purpose of these posts is merely to add to the stupidity that is Hambantota's CWG bid.

• 2 weeks later...

New logo:

HAMBANTOTA-160.jpg

The emblem design features eight pairs of hands in the colours of the Commonwealth Games Federation.

Each pair of hands together, palms together and fingers pointed outwards.

This symbolises “Añjali Mudr”, the hand gesture practiced throughout Asia. It has the same meaning as the customary spoken Sanskrit greeting Namaste.

For comparison:

gold-coast-2018-logo.jpg

Two pretty slick, very similar, and fairly uninteresting logos from both Gold Coast and Hambantota. A score draw on the logo front methinks, with Hambantota's winning on penalties because it has a vaguely interesting font. :)

Archived