Moscow metro hit by terrorist bombings

mr.x

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8592190.stm

At least 37 people have been killed after two female suicide bombers blew themselves up on Moscow Metro trains in the morning rush hour, officials say.

The first blast occurred in the central Lubyanka station at 0756 (0356 GMT). Police said the dead included 14 people inside a train and 11 on the platform.

The second explosion came about 40 minutes later at the Park Kultury station, where 12 people were killed.

No-one has yet said they carried out the worst attack in Moscow since 2004...

Questioning hosts because of terror attacks will mean Olympics never take place.

But you have to. I mean...need I remind you that probably together with G8 meetings & the Oscars, they are the most high-profile events that malfeasants want to crash and the IOC has a serious responsibility to protect visitors and athletes alike.

I'd rather not post images of gunned down helicoptors in Rio or the London bombings. All Western countries are prone to crime/terrorism. Questioning hosts because of terror attacks will mean Olympics never take place.

Just to clarify, just ONE BLINDED police helicopter had to make a emergency landing in a soccer field after a bullet reached exactly the cover of fuel tank...

That chopper flew more 6 minutes after been shot before an unsuccessful emergency landing.

---

It was the FIRST TIME this happened (chopper had to land after been shot) in Rio and in Brazil, the country with second biggest fleute of helicopters in the world.

Otherwise, Rio, unfortunatelly, have other problems with security... Rio DO have problems with drug dealers and crime in poorest zones.

But you have to. I mean...need I remind you that probably together with G8 meetings & the Oscars, they are the most high-profile events that malfeasants want to crash and the IOC has a serious responsibility to protect visitors and athletes alike.

I don't think that any host country which was hit by terrorist attacks before the Games is more likely to be hit during the Games than other host country. If terrorists wanted to take aim at the Games, they could have done that as well in Vancouver, Beijing, Torino or Athens.

Security will be very high at the Sochi Games (higher than usual) and thus they will most probably be unharmed. Just like I expect nothing to happen during the London Games, although it has been a top target for terrorists in recent years.

I don't think that any host country which was hit by terrorist attacks before the Games is more likely to be hit during the Games than other host country. If terrorists wanted to take aim at the Games, they could have done that as well in Vancouver, Beijing, Torino or Athens.

Security will be very high at the Sochi Games (higher than usual) and thus they will most probably be unharmed. Just like I expect nothing to happen during the London Games, although it has been a top target for terrorists in recent years.

I wish I could share your confidence. I don't think anything will happen in the venues or in the Olympic Park, but on the Tube, in Trafalgar Sq, at any of the 'Live Sites' in town, on the busses it's possible. How can all of that be policed? It's pretty likely nothing will happen, but a terror attack somewhere in London is the thing that worries me most about 2012, because it only takes one whakjob to decide he wants to make a point for it to happen. It's out of the organisers' control really.

If terrorists wanted to take aim at the Games, they could have done that as well in Vancouver, Beijing, Torino or Athens.

That's terrorists in general; I was specifically talking about what makes Sochi so vulnerable.

I think the Chechyans play as rough as their Russian compatriots. One can just imagine the roundups of Chechyan leaders (whether legitimate troublemakers or not) in the months leading up to 2014.

Today's events don't really change any security issues for Sochi.

But I agree, the next two Olympics are going to see heightened security like never before. Vancouver, Beijing, Torino and Athens were never big terrorist targets like London and parts of Russia. China has done well subduing conflicts, so while there were threats, I think most felt relatively safe (even though there was that awful stabbing that killed a relative of the coach of USA Men's Volleyball). SLC was of big concern due to 9/11 as well.

I think Rio will be relatively safe from international threats, but their internal crime will be the more challenging than other hosts.

Today's events don't really change any security issues for Sochi.

But I agree, the next two Olympics are going to see heightened security like never before. Vancouver, Beijing, Torino and Athens were never big terrorist targets like London and parts of Russia. China has done well subduing conflicts, so while there were threats, I think most felt relatively safe (even though there was that awful stabbing that killed a relative of the coach of USA Men's Volleyball). SLC was of big concern due to 9/11 as well.

I think Rio will be relatively safe from international threats, but their internal crime will be the more challenging than other hosts.

Same thoughts here.

And here in BC (and Vancouver), they aren't terrorists... they'e protestors. ;)

While I think nothing is going to happen at the Ice events, I think Baron makes a good point. Protecting the Alpine events is going to be a huge challenge. Unless the Russians are constantly making air survelliances of the area, in one of the most volatile regions on earth, there's just no guarantees.

Terrorism can happen anywhere. Specially in countries who didnt had a ''nice relationship'' with their citizens and neighbours on the last decades. Nuff said.

I'm confident Russia will guarantee safe conditions in 2014. But the security is going to be tight as hell for sure (probably even bigger than SLC 2002 and Beijing). Same goes to Rio.

Well, Brazil have no enemies, I think the risk of terrorist attacks is very low, but it exists, since there will be people from around the world in Rio during the games and some delegations and VIPs are targets for this kind of event...

The real concern about security in Rio are some roads that cross the poorest areas between the main clusters. But, previous experiences shows Rio got success security in major events...

Its always been an issue. Montreal was given the games in December of 1970, less than two months after the October Crisis. The IOC knew full well what they were getting with Russia.

Montreal was elected on May 12, 1970, not in December.

My concern with Sochi is that the terrorists are fighting over territory that is near the Olympic city. If anything, the bigger risk is in the run up to the Games. Sabotaging and embarrassing Russia's and Putin's efforts to organize the Games might be a MO for this cause.

Sochi is over a 1,000 miles away from Kyrgyzstan, but Sochi nonetheless, lies in the Caucasus, one of the most volatile regions on earth.

The Russians are going to have their hands full, to say the least, securing Sochi 2014.

Archived