When will the VANOC website go down?

Torino's is long gone, Beijing's is still up. When will VANOC's website go down?

I hope it sticks around for at least 1.5 to 2 years. It's a shame the websites are eventually taken offline. I think they should be kept up as an after-games legacy. They are a great source of information and for research purposes. All the press releases can be valuable for research as well as all the results, athletes' bios, torch relay section, etc - all valuable info. I'd rather go to the VANOC site rather than sites like Wikipedia.

That's true. But maybe it's getting too expensive to pay for all that webspace when there are maybe only a couple of visitors each day left. Speaking of costs: I just noticed that the result sections of the Beijing 2008 website aren't accessible anymore. Either they did this to save money (I suppose that the technical infrastructure for the results database is the most expensive one of such an Olympic website), or they did it because they have already released (or a planning to release?) the official report which contains the results.

Actually not. It's still alive. Well, great things should never come to an end. :o

Oh, you're right.

http://www.torino2006.it/ENG/OlympicGames/home/index.html

I really didn't know that -- back then, I had bookmarked the URL torino2006.org, which is obviously out of order now.

So now I hope that Torino began a new Olympic tradition of not deleting the host's website. We'll see this year whether Beijing's website will stay beyond the "two years after" mark as well.

Oh, you're right.

I really didn't know that -- back then, I had bookmarked the URL torino2006.org, which is obviously out of order now.

So now I hope that Torino began a new Olympic tradition of not deleting the host's website. We'll see this year whether Beijing's website will stay beyond the "two years after" mark as well.

Let's hope the websites stay online, it's almost like an "online museum" of the games. If would be great to perhaps see the IOC take the websites as well and put them on their server, but thats not going to happen

Oh, you're right.

That's great that the Torino site is still up. I Googled it but it came up with a URL that wasn't working.

The IOC's website had pages on past Olympic games but I can't seem to find them now. The virtual museum for Vancouver is interesting. If anyone hasn't checked it out I recommend it.