Countdown Clock

I'm just curious, what's going to become of the countdown clock now that the games are over? Are they dismantling it or is it staying in front of the art gallery as an after-games legacy piece like the cauldron?

On a side note, but on the same topic of after-games monument legacies; saw on the news Greece is going to be presenting Vancouver a statue of the goddess Nike as a thank you for hosting the games. Looks like it will be installed in Jack Poole Plaza near the cauldron. And the question is, can Greece afford it? ;)

So, any Vancouverites know what's happening with the countdown clock? Is it staying in place or is is being dismantled? Would be good if they converted the display to just a regular clock.

• 4 months later...

Saw the Countdown Clock thread in the Rio forum and thought I'd pull this thread back up.

Recently in a Global BC news clip vid, I did see the countdown clock in the background and noticed the digits were lit-up. Did they re-program the clock to show regular time?

It'll likely be relocated in a few years, there are major plans to revitalize the plaza.

They should relocate it to the City Hall park ....

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to see the clock relocated to the new plaza/pedestrian pathway that emerges from Georgia Street, to the foot of BC Place, and then to False Creek:

Option3-2.jpg

Option3-3.jpg

But this won't be completed for maybe 5-10 years...IMO, the clock can stay where it is for now.

• 1 month later...

The clock is to be removed, separated and relocated next week:

http://vancouver.ca/mediaroom/news/detail.htm?row=136&date=2010-10-08

...the iconic 2010 Winter Games landmark is being separated into two pieces and is moving from the Vancouver Art Gallery to its legacy locations within the Games host region; BC Place for the Olympic side of the clock and Whistler Olympic Park for the Paralympic side.
Edited by Kendegra

Maybe they will be part of the renos at BC Place?

I wouldn't count on that...it appears the renovations could be half-assed. For a $550-million project, they can't afford:

- replacing all 55,000 seats (cost: $5-8-million)

- replacing the big ugly and old yellow windows around the facade (cost: ?)

Yet somehow they were able to afford to build a $15-million temporary 27,000 seat stadium for events to use during construction.

I went today to take some pictures of the Olympic clock and I notice a security guard was there. I spoke to the security guard regarding the wooden portion of the clock, he told it will be moved to the Convention Centre. He also told me this, apparently people at the art gallery were saying that the Olympic clock was auction off and Bill Gates won the bid. But Bill Gates end up donating it back to the city of Vancouver. This could be true or just a rumour.