Spanish related games

I read the topic about the idea of having "European Games", so I thought in a similar ideak, but about Spanish-related countries games. Let's see:

-Ex-British colonies have Commonwealth Games

-Ex-French colonies have Francophonie games

-Ex-Portuguese colonies have Lusophone Games

What if ex-Spanish colonies had their own games? :huh:

This is my theory:

- The participant countries wound be all Latin American countries, probably USA (cause Florida was a Spanish Colony), Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Netherlands, Italy, Portugal (They were Spanish territories), Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago (they were Spanish colonies before being British), Bahamas (it was the first land were Christopher Colombus stepped) and Western Sahara.

- The flame or whatever it is would depart from Spain (probably from Cádiz cause most caravelles departed from there in century XV) and Spain would be the first country in parade of nations at an opening ceremony.

What would you think? :P

I read the topic about the idea of having "European Games", so I thought in a similar ideak, but about Spanish-related countries games. Let's see:

This is my theory:

- The participant countries wound be all Latin American countries, probably USA (cause Florida was a Spanish Colony), Philippines, Equatorial Guinea, Netherlands, Italy, Portugal (They were Spanish territories), Jamaica and Trinidad & Tobago (they were Spanish colonies before being British), Bahamas (it was the first land were Christopher Colombus stepped) and Western Sahara.

- The flame or whatever it is would depart from Spain (probably from Cádiz cause most caravelles departed from there in century XV) and Spain would be the first country in parade of nations at an opening ceremony.

Good luck getting the Netherlands and Italy on board! Why not Austria while you're at it"

This is my theory:

well...

#1 - they'd always have to be held in Madrid; :rolleyes:

#2 - there is something called Los Juegos Bolivarianos (between the countries founded by Simon Bolivar).

#3 - There already are the PanAM Games. Just invite Spain and disinvite Canada and Brazil.

#4 - ex-Spanish colonies have a bitter after-taste of their years under Spain because mother Spain exploited them more than say the UK, and left nothing but the horrible legacies of colonialism, the Catholic Church and a backward administrative system...which is why the ex-Hispanophone countries don't celebrate the idea of getting together too often.

Only Madrid? How about Mexico City, Los Angeles, Manila, Lima, Buenos Aires, Bogota, Santiago, Amsterdam, Rome, etc.? :P

I am being facetious...about how COMPUSLIVE the Spaniards have become in wanting to host an Olympics in Madrid...so anything to host its stature is fair game.

P.S. Now seriously, I think the world sporting calendar is already pretty crowded to add a Hispanophone set of Games. Besides, didn't you read #4 in my previous post?

Why let Brazil out? After all, we were part of the Spanish Colonial Empire for 60 years. And most of our western territories were indeed Spanish possesions if you take the Tordesilhas Treaty into account.

Although, I don't really see Portugal getting on board either. o.o

Why let Brazil out? After all, we were part of the Spanish Colonial Empire for 60 years. And most of our western territories were indeed Spanish possesions if you take the Tordesilhas Treaty into account.

Although, I don't really see Portugal getting on board either. o.o

Then Brazil would go too :rolleyes: don't forget that Portugal was also a Spanish territory so I mentioned it B)

BTW, I said that all Latin American countries would go, isn't Brazil a Latin American country too? ;)

I am being facetious...about how COMPUSLIVE the Spaniards have become in wanting to host an Olympics in Madrid...so anything to host its stature is fair game.

P.S. Now seriously, I think the world sporting calendar is already pretty crowded to add a Hispanophone set of Games. Besides, didn't you read #4 in my previous post?

I read it, I don't discuss that most people are huurted with Spanish colonialism, but even with that there are Ibero-American Summits of presidents were Spanish Kings participate too, King Juan Carlos is present in most Ibero-American events representing Spain. Plus almost all Latin American countries have good relations with Spain, and seeing this from a political angle, it's an advantage ;)

This is my theory:

A few things:

Western Sahara is owned by Morocco, a former French territory. Yes at one point it was owned by the Spanish, but it's now Morocco. Plus the opposition movement is located in Algeria, another former French territory. I don't think Spanish is all that common in Western Sahara anymore.

Florida was not just Spain's only territory in America. They once owned the Louisiana Territory around the time of the American Revolution. Spain also owned the American Southwest up until Mexico declared their Independence from Spain. Spain's American colonies stretched from The Mississippi River to California and Florida.

You mention all of Latin America. Well, not all of Latin America is Spanish or Portuguese. Guyana is a former British Colony. Neighboring Suriname is Dutch (although The Netherlands is a former Spanish colony). There's also French Guyana, still owned by the French. Now you did mention that Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica and Bahamas were all former Spanish Colonies before the British took over. That might be stretching it a bit since most people know that those countries are associated with the British Empire. Same with Belize in Central America.

A few things:

Western Sahara is owned by Morocco, a former French territory. Yes at one point it was owned by the Spanish, but it's now Morocco. Plus the opposition movement is located in Algeria, another former French territory. I don't think Spanish is all that common in Western Sahara anymore.

Florida was not just Spain's only territory in America. They once owned the Louisiana Territory around the time of the American Revolution. Spain also owned the American Southwest up until Mexico declared their Independence from Spain. Spain's American colonies stretched from The Mississippi River to California and Florida.

You mention all of Latin America. Well, not all of Latin America is Spanish or Portuguese. Guyana is a former British Colony. Neighboring Suriname is Dutch (although The Netherlands is a former Spanish colony). There's also French Guyana, still owned by the French. Now you did mention that Trinidad and Tobago, Jamaica and Bahamas were all former Spanish Colonies before the British took over. That might be stretching it a bit since most people know that those countries are associated with the British Empire. Same with Belize in Central America.

Spanish is still an official language in Western Sahara (Wikipedia in English doesn't say it, but it does) You also see non independent territories participating in Commonwealth Games like Isle of Man :P

Well, Cameroon is an ex-french colony, french languaged, and anybody could associate Cameroon with French Empire, but they compete in Commonwealth games, I guess it's a similar situation with Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago being Spanish colonies before being British :rolleyes:

Spanish is still an official language in Western Sahara (Wikipedia in English doesn't say it, but it does) You also see non independent territories participating in Commonwealth Games like Isle of Man :P

Well, Cameroon is an ex-french colony, french languaged, and anybody could associate Cameroon with French Empire, but they compete in Commonwealth games, I guess it's a similar situation with Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago being Spanish colonies before being British :rolleyes:

Well I guess it's okay.

However, you still can't have all of Latin America involved in the games....Guyana is a former British Colony. I don't ever recall that it was ever a part of the Spanish Empire, but I could be wrong.

Well I guess it's okay.

However, you still can't have all of Latin America involved in the games....Guyana is a former British Colony. I don't ever recall that it was ever a part of the Spanish Empire, but I could be wrong.

Actually Guyana, French Guyana, Belize and Suriname are not considered Latin American countries, but Belize could enter since it was conquered by Spanishes.

Then Brazil would go too :rolleyes: don't forget that Portugal was also a Spanish territory so I mentioned it B)

Brazil in Spanish-related games? Nah... There's nothing 'spanish' on the roots of our history and culture. Even when Portugal was occupied, they still were the ones behind our colonization. Spain wasn't involved in any way.

Plus, A Spanish related Games would probably 'absorb' or modify some regional competitions like the Central-American and Caribbean Games, the Bolivarian Games, the Caribbean Games...

Brazil in Spanish-related games? Nah... There's nothing 'spanish' on the roots of our history and culture. Even when Portugal was occupied, they still were the ones behind our colonization. Spain wasn't involved in any way.

Plus, A Spanish related Games would probably 'absorb' or modify some regional competitions like the Central-American and Caribbean Games, the Bolivarian Games, the Caribbean Games...

I guess you should read what your co-patriot Dinhu4ever said :rolleyes: (Honestly I don't know who of you both is right :wacko: )

I guess you should read what your co-patriot Dinhu4ever said :rolleyes: (Honestly I don't know who of you both is right :wacko: )

Yes, I read it. And he knows, like everybody in our country does, that even when Portugal and its colonies were under foreign control, Spain didn't step a single foot in Brazil. And as I said before in other opportunity, Portugal is our main influence here along with the French (northeast coast), the Dutch(ditto), the Italian(everywhere), the Lebanese(São Paulo), the German(south) and so on...

Brazil was kinda 'left out' of Spanish colonization efforts during the years of occupation. The latin american heroes like Bolivar and Che Guevara also have nothing to do with us.

The differences are so big Brazil stands isolated from the block. So Brazil in Spanish related games? Nah... ;)

Victor,don´t worry for your "anti-spanish comments", are usuals and coherents here :rolleyes:

The "Iberian Games" was a project in the 20-30 years, today is too late, just look to the problems in other regional games like the Mediterranean Games.

Mau, no sé si te has dado cuenta, pero las respuestas que te están dando son irónicas, cuando no cínicas y humorísticas. Creo que no has escogido el lugar más adecuado para plantear este debate. Saludos cordiales.

Mmmm... as some of the guys have said, there are no chances for an Hispanic Games. Especially because most of the potential countries of the Hispanic Games are in the PanAm or ODESUR Games. The only absences are Philippines, Equatorial Guinea and Western Sahara (huge sport powers, you know). Spain would be the only important country to be added but you won't create a whole new event just for one big country and maybe three small ones.

The second problem would be what happens with the other countries. Of course, Brazil isn't a Spanish speaking country but in sports usually plays with them... Belize, Aruba, Curaçao, Guyana, Surinam and Trinidad and Tobago are maybe in the same situation... Philippines was a Spanish colony but now it doesn't have a lot of Spanish speaking people... the same with Equatorial Guinea... and Western Sahara isn't even a full recognized country.

Just try to raise the importance of Pan American Games... that would be more useful.

Mmmm... as some of the guys have said, there are no chances for an Hispanic Games. Especially because most of the potential countries of the Hispanic Games are in the PanAm or ODESUR Games. The only absences are Philippines, Equatorial Guinea and Western Sahara (huge sport powers, you know). Spain would be the only important country to be added but you won't create a whole new event just for one big country and maybe three small ones.

The second problem would be what happens with the other countries. Of course, Brazil isn't a Spanish speaking country but in sports usually plays with them... Belize, Aruba, Curaçao, Guyana, Surinam and Trinidad and Tobago are maybe in the same situation... Philippines was a Spanish colony but now it doesn't have a lot of Spanish speaking people... the same with Equatorial Guinea... and Western Sahara isn't even a full recognized country.

Just try to raise the importance of Pan American Games... that would be more useful.

This is true. A Spanish related games would also leave out Haiti (former French Colony)and Canada (Former British colony except for Quebec).

Archived