NYC 2024 or 2028

Soaring

The U.S. could definitely host the FINA Worlds, we've just never bid (but I wish we would - preferably in Palo Alto).

Over the past few months (up to 3 weeks ago), I've made a couple of trips to the Stanford Medical Center for some treatment. The problem is, and which is why Stanford I think is not too keen to host any more international events, the campus AND downtown Palo Alto are just sooooooooooo congested. The only major 4-star hotel near the campus, the Westin, is shoe-horned into that weird space on El Camino. So I think even the int'l federations are wary of awarding anything any more to Palo Alto/Stanford due to the area's congestion.

I do think that a Winter Bid is easier for the USOC than a Summer Bid due to the track and field issue alone. That way you could use the football stadium for the opening and closing ceremonies and medals. With any Summer bid, you would have to figure out where the Track and Field events would take place.

And that's only one piece of the puzzle. Remember there must be a warm-up track nearby as well; an auxiliary arena around the corner that'll serve as the 'holding tank' for the athletes (and performers) for the Opening Ceremony. And then ideally, per the IOC's unwritten cosmic calibrations, the Olympic Village should be like within a half-mile of the Olympic stadium. So getting all those pieces together for a viable, competitive bid, is extremely difficult.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Over the past few months (up to 3 weeks ago), I've made a couple of trips to the Stanford Medical Center for some treatment. The problem is, and which is why Stanford I think is not too keen to host any more international events, the campus AND downtown Palo Alto are just sooooooooooo congested. The only major 4-star hotel near the campus, the Westin, is shoe-horned into that weird space on El Camino. So I think even the int'l federations are wary of awarding anything any more to Palo Alto/Stanford due to the area's congestion.

The last time Palo Alto/Stanford hosted an international even was the FINA World Masters Championships, in 2006

The U.S. will continue to slip in T&F events at the Olympics unless things change.

Right now, I think USA Track and Field is Status Quo, although they did win a lot at the recent indoor championships.

As for swimming, Michael Phelps success in 2008 made me interested in watching the sport whenever he's on. I usually don't watch Swimming, but I'll watch it whenever he's on.

Right now, I think USA Track and Field is Status Quo, although they did win a lot at the recent indoor championships.

As for swimming, Michael Phelps success in 2008 made me interested in watching the sport whenever he's on. I usually don't watch Swimming, but I'll watch it whenever he's on.

And I'm glad Phelps has done that for the sport. Swimming has always been my number one event during the Olympic Games, before Phelps was even born.

CIt was never really clear to me whether they planned on keeping the track and field.

The idea was to keep the track and field to host smaller city scale events. Then, if a major event came to town, they could always add the bleachers again to reach up to a 20,000 seat capacity. Overall I thought it was a great solution at the time, and still do. In fact, I believe the city should still go ahead and build the permanent part of the stadium to expand sporting facilities in the South side.

Also, a temporary Aquatics Center would have been built nearby, and the warm-up pool would have been used by a local high school.

Now the temporary aquatics center was the weak idea in my opinion. The original domestic bid was centered around a new $50 million aquatics center at UIC. The university would have issued a bond for this. A much better option, in my opinion, than the final temporary aquatics center in Washington Park.

• Like 1

I remember the UIC aquatics venue plan, then it was moved to Douglas Park, but was changed again to a temporary facility in the candidate file and put near the Olympic stadium in Washington Park. Even the Douglas Park aquatics was not supposed to be temporary, so I thought the plan was weakened when it became temporary, even though it was in a better location.

Were any of the baseball stadiums a part of the Chicago 2016 bid even though baseball was removed as an Olympic sport?

No, not at all. I remember a lot of lamenting in the press that Olympic Baseball was a non-starter at Wrigley.

Soldier Field was of course briefly considered for ceremonies under the early two-stadium plan :)

I think if Chicago would have won, Wrigley or Sox Park aka "the Cell" would have been a good candidate for archery to be moved from Grant Park. It was kind of a bummer when the IOC cemented their decision to not include baseball and softball for 2016. It was a sign for Chicago's early defeat as well.

The removal of baseball and softball was not an attack on the US, it was a necessary step to get new sports into the program and those two had the bigggest issues.

I never said it was an attack, but it showed shifting mindsets about a sport the Americans had domination, and Europeans don't particularly care for it. I understand some of the reasons for removing it, but in the end I felt it was a bad decision.

I do think Rugby and Golf were good choices for replacement.

How is it a bad decision, they were the two least representative sports in the program and had the highest unnecessary costs associated with them for the lesser sports. There needs to be a balance so that as many countries as possible have chances at medals, but there also needs to be a balance that all sports are competed at a high level from multiple continents. And in reality it wasn't just the Europeans that didn't care for baseball and softball, outside of the USA, Japan and Cuba the sport is meaningless. There are certainly sports within the program that need to still go (modern pentathlon) but out of the 28 sports, the IOC got it right when kicking those two out.

Edited by Faster

I know that baseball and softball were eliminated before the Oct. 2nd vote. I was just saying that some people here (including myself) saw the decision to not reinstate baseball and softball as a warning sign of things to come for Chicago's bid. I realize though that it was the executive board who made that decision, not the IOC as a whole.

Like I said, I understand the reasons for eliminating the two sports, but I was disappointed in the decision (I guess calling it a "bad decision" is a bit much). I felt worse for the sport of softball since the Olympics truly was the epitimy of success (plus the sport was creating in Chicago). Baseball had more decks stacked against it, and sadly softball was tied to the sport, and the two sports had issues because of gender balance as well.

I myself don't care to watch golf, but am looking forward to seeing some rugby 7's.

I always wondered how long baseball/softball were going to stay in the Olympic programme. I also hopes golf flops after 2016.

Last Sunday, we were having brunch at that posh resort, the St. Regis Monarch Beach in Dana Point, and there was this big screen showing the Masters. Actually, of the people in that room, I think it was only the Concierge watching it. I found it to be very intrusive to our brunch. But I got a big kick afterward that that dipstick Woods came in 4th and was doing his own Plushenko. I don't see what all those women see in him. Well, of course I know it's $$$.

Anyway, the telecast was a big snooze.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I only watch golf when Tiger is playing. He's that much of a draw for me.

Anyways, there are numerous golf venues that would be capable of hosting in the NYC area. Most notably, Bethpage Black. There is also the Westchester Country Club and other spots in NJ.

What was the IOC thinking by including GOLF? :blink: So strange. I'm not interested at all and I can't imagine the world's golfers will take it too seriously either.

Well that's because you obviously don't pay attention to the Olympics because if you did you would know that the three major tours have agreed to modify their schedules to accomodate the Olympic Tournament and the major men's and women's players (Tiger, Anika, the Mexican women that I can't remember and a bunch of others) said they support golft in the Olympics and they would play (except for the retired Anika) and it was the PGA that was behind the bid for inclusion. But obviously none of the big players are going to care at all.

Well that's because you obviously don't pay attention to the Olympics because if you did you would know that the three major tours have agreed to modify their schedules to accomodate the Olympic Tournament and the major men's and women's players (Tiger, Anika, the Mexican women that I can't remember and a bunch of others) said they support golft in the Olympics and they would play (except for the retired Anika) and it was the PGA that was behind the bid for inclusion. But obviously none of the big players are going to care at all.

Better keep Tiger away from those strip clubs in Rio!

Golf will flop as an Olympic sport. When the PGA holds its only major international tournament, nobody cares as much here in the States even lets be honest. I don't see it going past London or 2016 at the most.

As for NYC in 2024 or 2028, I know everyone was discussing how if Canada (or heck even Mexico) gets a bid in and accepted we're be out of the mix there obviously. But if the leadership in NYC is behind it, they should try again. As major markets go, you don't get any bigger than NYC on the East Coast time slot.

But would NYC residents care as much as the rest of the nation? Something tells me YES. Come on. Its the home of the Yankees, Giants, diehard fans of even really bad teams like the Knicks :D So it goes without saying the city would be behind it. At least those that are sports fans perhaps. And with the new Meadowlands out of the way, there isn't much standing in the way of a new plan.

Should other cities try too in the USOC's bids? Surely. I would love to see San Fran get in the mix. I would gladly make the treck across country to visit the city for the first time for that. But with that being said, the amount of displaced NYC residents - such as myself - that would flock back to the city would be tremendous. It would be the largest tourism attraction to the City for any reason in its long history.

• Like 1

Golf will flop as an Olympic sport. When the PGA holds its only major international tournament, nobody cares as much here in the States even lets be honest. I don't see it going past London or 2016 at the most.

As for NYC in 2024 or 2028, I know everyone was discussing how if Canada (or heck even Mexico) gets a bid in and accepted we're be out of the mix there obviously. But if the leadership in NYC is behind it, they should try again. As major markets go, you don't get any bigger than NYC on the East Coast time slot.

But would NYC residents care as much as the rest of the nation? Something tells me YES. Come on. Its the home of the Yankees, Giants, diehard fans of even really bad teams like the Knicks :D So it goes without saying the city would be behind it. At least those that are sports fans perhaps. And with the new Meadowlands out of the way, there isn't much standing in the way of a new plan.

Should other cities try too in the USOC's bids? Surely. I would love to see San Fran get in the mix. I would gladly make the treck across country to visit the city for the first time for that. But with that being said, the amount of displaced NYC residents - such as myself - that would flock back to the city would be tremendous. It would be the largest tourism attraction to the City for any reason in its long history.

If Tiger and Phil Mickelson are going at it in 2016, I see no reason why golf will not be sticking around.