NYC 2024 or 2028

Soaring

Do you think the big apple would be up for another bid in ten years or so?

07wtc.600.jpg

18339_276146857458_276112092458_3178015_322215_n.jpg

Unlike many other U.S. cities, New York does not have a history of putting their hat in the Olympic circus, but could 2024 or 2028 be their time?

What sort of stadium plan could they use?

How would they fair against the competition? - Paris, Rome, Cape Town, Tokyo, etc.

I hope so - but Baron's right it's all about who is in charge of the city at the time. I still maintain a NYC games would be pretty special. It's a shame the 2012 bid was against Paris and London. How do we think they'd have done in the 2016 race?

I know, I know... I am getting a bit ahead of myself. The race for 2020 hasn't even kicked into gear, and I am here ranting about 2024 and 2028. I guess I am more or less interested in the feasibility of a future NYC bid. I wasn't around here for the 2012 bidding, so many of you might know more about NYC's plans back then.

Anyhow, do you NYC could have an upper hand against Toronto simply on notoriety?

I hope so - but Baron's right it's all about who is in charge of the city at the time. I still maintain a NYC games would be pretty special. It's a shame the 2012 bid was against Paris and London. How do we think they'd have done in the 2016 race?

Why does everyone who doesn't live in NYC think a NYC Olympics would be "so special". I live in NYC and I think the Olympic Games in NYC would suck. And frankly, most New Yorkers could care less about the Olympic Games in NYC. To the average New Yorker, NYC don't need no stinking Olympics, we're already the center of the world. Now, I love the Olympic Games or I wouldn't be in this forum, and I wouldn't complain if the Olympic Games came to NYC, but I wouldn't ardently support them here either. I'd rather see them in Chicago, or San Francisco than in NYC.

Why does everyone who doesn't live in NYC think a NYC Olympics would be "so special". I live in NYC and I think the Olympic Games in NYC would suck. And frankly, most New Yorkers could care less about the Olympic Games in NYC. To the average New Yorker, NYC don't need no stinking Olympics, we're already the center of the world. Now, I love the Olympic Games or I wouldn't be in this forum, and I wouldn't complain if the Olympic Games came to NYC, but I wouldn't ardently support them here either. I'd rather see them in Chicago, or San Francisco than in NYC.

Then...I mean who needs you in any forum like this? :blink: If inhabitants of the place can't boost their hometown, then what's the point of having...you? I mean it would almost make you irrelevant if a NYC bid happened.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Gotta love the cocky NYC attitude. :rolleyes:

I can only see NYC bidding again once land "reclamation" is truly viable for the city. Essentially meaning, an odd 500,000+ square meter or so artificial island near Manhattan serving much of the Olympic venues, including the Olympic Stadium, Velodrome, Aquatics Center as well as the Villages and IBC and MPC. ;)

Can it happen? Do people even want this?

I don't know. I can see NYC getting the Olympic Games one day, but the city's current finances are left to be desired. Never mind that it is in the middle of building a new subway line, extending another one and creating a LIRR extension to Grand Central Terminal at this time. That would put the MTA, the entity responsible for mass transit in New York City, into massive debt.

I think an NYC bid is always a stretch. I was quite surprised when they got the domestic nod for 2012. In addition to politics, NYC faces the tough challenge of the "not in my backyard" crowd. The US is always full of special interests, and a bid from a top tier city will definitely bring those interests out of the woodwork.

That said, if political will and citizen will somehow combine, then it is doable. Where though, I don't know.

• Like 1

I can only see NYC bidding again once land "reclamation" is truly viable for the city. Essentially meaning, an odd 500,000+ square meter or so artificial island near Manhattan serving much of the Olympic venues, including the Olympic Stadium, Velodrome, Aquatics Center as well as the Villages and IBC and MPC. ;)

Can it happen? Do people even want this?

No way, hell no, absolutely not. Talk about bad environmental effects of the games. That would never get off the ground. Hell I'd even fight that.

Then...I mean who needs you in any forum like this? :blink: If inhabitants of the place can't boost their hometown, then what's the point of having...you? I mean it would almost make you irrelevant if a NYC bid happened.

I support the Olympic Games, I support the Olympic Games in the U.S. I just would rather see them in another city than New York first. I think San Franicsco or Chicago would provide a much nicer, more pleasant, Olympic experience than New York.

New York is the only American city I'd like to see host the games in the near future (failing that I'd prefer LA again over the usual contenders) - and 2024+ seems about the right time to do it.

Internationally the US did themselves no favours winning the 1996 bid - regardless of how the games were perceived in hindsight, no country should be allowed to host the games just 12 years after the last. Personally I'd set the limit at 16 years, with no more than two games in a 40 year period.

For me, and I suspect for many at the IOC, 2012 - and even 2016, was just too close to the last games, and with LA84 and Atlanta 96 they'd have been the third games in one generation - whilst many other countries haven't had the games at all for two or three generations.

New York is the only American city I'd like to see host the games in the near future (failing that I'd prefer LA again over the usual contenders) - and 2024+ seems about the right time to do it.

Internationally the US did themselves no favours winning the 1996 bid - regardless of how the games were perceived in hindsight, no country should be allowed to host the games just 12 years after the last. Personally I'd set the limit at 16 years, with no more than two games in a 40 year period.

For me, and I suspect for many at the IOC, 2012 - and even 2016, was just too close to the last games, and with LA84 and Atlanta 96 they'd have been the third games in one generation - whilst many other countries haven't had the games at all for two or three generations.

You realize, though, that L.A. is a really bad city to host the games in as well though? New York is a better city to host than L.A. even. The IOC only went to L.A. because they had to, not because they really wanted to, and I really do not believe the IOC would have gone to L.A. had there been other viable contenders for the 1984 games. I doubt they'd go to L.A. again today.

I doubt they'd go to L.A. again today.

Here, I'd totally agree with you. If it weren't for the gungho SCCOG (Southern CA Committee for the OGs) who have far too much time on their hands), LA wouldn't always be a perceived frontrunner. Logistically, NYC would make a better host. It has enough subways and freeways, avenues to connect the various venues and easily get everybody around...which is why London, Tokyo and Paris make such equally viable host cities.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

I still think that Chicago would be the best host for the next U.S. Summer Games -- provided there's anybody who wants to spearhead a bid. It's a truly fantastic city and the world hasn't really discovered it yet.

It wouldn't surprise me if New York bid again either, but the idea is much less exciting to me.

I would not rule out L.A. It's true that it poses some logistical challenges, but there is also such a STRONG love of the Games in LA and nothing but positive memories. The mass trasportation is improving. It's very cosmopolitan and has a huge sporting tradition.

San Francisco seems like a nice idea, but I can't imagine it surviving the bureaucracy.

The thing is that we need to wait for a lot of time to pass. What will happen to the infrastructure and economy in these cities? More importantly will strong, charismatic leadership emerge to spearhead a bid. I believe the people leading and organizing the bid are even more important than the qualifications of the city itself.

THe funny thing is you're navigating this whole thing just from your head, your personal prejudices, your POV -- very little on what other forces will bring to bear on the larger picture.

um, baron, that is the purpose of a forum. For people to share their views, and albeit, prejudices. You do it all the time... and so do I.

• Like 3

um, baron, that is the purpose of a forum. For people to share their views, and albeit, prejudices. You do it all the time... and so do I.

Uhmmm, no. THey are not the same...especially in a forum like this where you try to get as close to prognostication as you can...educated and deductive guessing. At least for me the fun and challenge of participating in a forum like GB is precisely examining the various weaknesses and strengths of a bid not only in and of itself but against the others, how the winds are blowing, etc., etc. -- NOT blindly ignoring them just because one is stuck on a certain slant just because it pleases him.

For me, Chicago's gone. History. It was an expesnive and painful lesson, and everyone should learn from it. That city's NOT going to bid again for at least another 40 years. It's time to consider other options...not immediately...but at the next available turn. Summer hasn't worked so I feel it's time for shoot for a Winter Games. Let the Summer opportunity wait. If they're meant to be in a certain time span, they will happen, If not...then they won't happen. But a Winter shot is worht the next one. We've had a predictable cycle going on that one. And you don't have to contend with all those 'virgin' territories crying "Me, me...do me!" in a Winter derby.

And in the meantime, if we were to adopt A's stance, then all discussion here would come to a halt until the US was ready to launch ANOTHER Summer bid, say, in another 5 cycles. So what are we to do in the meantime? :blink:

I guess it varies except that Athensf seems to be a one-note record. And I just don't buy that hard-headedness he wants for a Summer Games only. I mean I/we got it the first time. As long as he expresses that stubborn stance, then I too am free to counter it. As you said...that is the purpose of a forum. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

/\ :rolleyes: So what's new?

THe funny thing is you're navigating this whole thing just from your head, your personal prejudices, your POV -- very little on what other forces will bring to bear on the larger picture.

This is just a bizarre remark, Baron.

For starters, what "other forces," pray tell, do your psychic abilities tell you will be influencing the 2024 and 2028 races? At this point, all we have to go on are a very partial view of the continental rotation picture, basic requirements for hosting and past IOC preferences (which really aren't an indication of much).

I've given plenty of solid arguments for my preferences regarding American candidates. I don't merely say, "I like this city and I don't like that one." I explain why. If you disagree, fine. But quit the eye rolling.

I've always felt like Chicago was the next great host. There are plenty reasons for saying so (which I will only recap for the umpteenth time if you request that I do so). Evidently the USOC agreed on the potential, but the IOC said "not in 2016".

Many have argued that NYC doesn't "need" the Games and this is true. I don't know if the Olympic spotlight would make much difference to a city that already shines so brightly. Personally, I think NYC is so big and so fascinating that I fear an Olympics would get lost in the city. Plus, as others have noted, there's extremely vocal local opposition.

SF is a great city, but Bay Area politics are notoriously cumbersome. Even you must admit this, Baron. If by some miracle they manage to work together to hash out a plan, then great. I just think that's unlikely based on what we've seen.

LA doesn't look like the typical host cities of recent memory. But LA is changing and improving and there's no telling where things might be in a few years. I'm not saying it's a shoo-in, but I do think it's wrong to count it out. A very positive Olympic legacy (perhaps the MOST positive), and huge love of the Games coupled with a will to bring them back... Those are big plusses to be dismissed so casually. Plus it's a cultural smorgasbord, an international tourist destination and the home of Hollywood. An LA Games would only be viable if A.) sufficient time passes -- could even be into the 30's B.)If transportation is radically improved and travel times are workable.

Surely, Baron, while you sing the praises of Reno as America's next Olympic city, you will permit me to at least comment on the possibility of returning to LA at some future date....

As for expressing "personal opinions" -- the IOC makes their decisions based on "personal opinions." If tackiness turns me off or spread out venues turns somebody else off, chances are there are some IOC members who will be similarly affected. I would argue that my posts are pretty factually based, but even if the weren't, "vibes" aren't totally irrelevant here.

• Like 1

At least for me the fun and challenge of participating in a forum like GB is precisely examining the various weaknesses and strengths of a bid not only in and of itself but against the others, how the winds are blowing, etc., etc. -- NOT blindly ignoring them just because one is stuck on a certain slant just because it pleases him.

For me, Chicago's gone. That city's NOT going to bid again for at least another 40 years. I Summer hasn't worked so I feel it's time for shoot for a Winter Games. And in the meantime, if we were to adopt A's stance, then all discussion here would come to a halt until the US was ready to launch ANOTHER Summer bid, say, in another 5 cycles. So what are we to do in the meantime? :blink:

I guess it varies except that Athensf seems to be a one-note record.

You're not a one-note record about Reno? I'm not changing my opinion and you're not changing yours. I'm not "stuck on a certain slant" any more than you are.

Incidentally, this bid is titled NYC 2024 or 2028. What's so bad about discussing NYC amid a variety of other potential U.S. bids for Summer Games? If you're that committed to 2022 then what are you doing in this thread in the first place?

As for Chicago, HOW DO YOU KNOW? I agree the loss stings. I agree they're upset. There's NO POSSIBLE way we can know if/when they will bid again. Even if they don't, I'd still prefer SF, NYC, LA or some other SOG to a Reno 2022. There's nothing wrong with that opinion. I believe in Chicago's potential, but I am absolutely not carrying a torch for them.

Regarding your question "What are we supposed to do in the meantime?" This seems like a classic example of American impatience. Other countries don't freak out if they don't constantly have a bid in the works. Why should we? Is that a reason to bid? To feed an obsessive Olympic addiction? Somehow I think we'll survive....

Many have argued that NYC doesn't "need" the Games and this is true. I don't know if the Olympic spotlight would make much difference to a city that already shines so brightly. Personally, I think NYC is so big and so fascinating that I fear an Olympics would get lost in the city. Plus, as others have noted, there's extremely vocal

I don't think you have to worry about 27 or so world championships of sports getting lost in this city. You just have to feel the electric atmosphere of post-midnight matches at the US Open; New York loves sports. This city would truly embrace the Olympics as much as any. Any I would draw similar comparisons to London; yet no one really worries about the Games getting "lost" in that city

I've said it before, but in in general, I've found most average opposition to the Games is based around questioning the city's actual capabilities to host the Games efficiently what with traffic, waterways dividing the city, availability of space, etc. This reverts back to that failed process of trying to cram a stadium into Manhattan for 2012. It was that stubborn mindset and difficult process of trying to approve that West Side Stadium that stung the civic will of New York, not the actual rejection from the IOC in Singapore.

Most of the NY "doesn’t need the global stage for approval" discussion within the city really comes from the Manhattan wealthy folks that leave the city every summer anyway, not from most average people at least. Any future bid will most likely be anchored by and focused on the outer-boroughs anyway, not in Mnahattan. I really do see any future New York Olympics leaving a legacy akin to what London hopes to achieve - urban and social regeneration in parts of the city that need it, not a change in international perception or whatever. That would be the legacy - a tangible, physical one.

Everything has to fall in place perfectly. The vision and leadership has to be there, civic will, a solid enough plan,... and of course timing. It's A LOT of if's, more so than with most cities, but we'll see.

• Like 2

NY20?? -- I like your post -- noting the positives while acknowledging the challenges. I lived in NYC for a while and its not the first place I imagine the Games. However, if the USOC put forward another NYC bid, I'd absolutely support it. I think New York Games could be successful, but as you mentioned there are a lot of hurdles to climb over. Then again, what potential host doesn't have those? I guess there are just some other cities that I'd be more excited about.