• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What do you care if they bid or not? It's NOT YOUR decision to make. You are obviously a certified, schizoid NUTcase imposing YOUR subjective feelings and totally IRRATIONAL opinions on matters (R

Why aren't you advocating for London to host? Oh wait...

Where's Habenagila...errr, I mean Habanatota??

yuck!..asian games start moving backward..

hanoi has set bar far lower than what Guangzhou and Doha had done :(

what else you can't compare doha and guangzhou to cities like hanoi and surabaya...

Err.. have you been to Hanoi ? :) Even, compare to Surabaya, Surabaya is better than Hanoi :)

I haven't been to Surabaya, so I can't compare the two. Hanoi, however, is fresh in memory.

Now, it's a lovely city. A bit of a diamond in the rough, though. And I just can't see how conceivably they can execute an Asiad without anything but an almost total re-make of the city over the next six years. Transport, traffic, communications, airport: all would need to be dramatically upgraded to come close to managing the task.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OCA chief says wushu, baseball in 2019 Asiad

MANILA, Philippines — Olympic Council of Asia president Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah of Kuwait Friday said the OCA is likely to approve 39 to 40 sports for the 2019 Asian Games including events where the country stands a fighting chance like baseball, softball and wushu.

The 2019 Games, whose date was moved to a year before the 2020 Summer Olympics in Tokyo, will be held in Hanoi, Vietnam.

“It will have Olympic sports and regional ones like kabaddi for the south region, wushu for far east, plus softball, baseball and squash,” said Al-Sabah of the Vietnam Asiad.

Some 400 representatives of the 45 member-nations of OCA met yesterday for the 100th year of the Asian Games—first held here in Manila as the Far Eastern Games in 1913.

The general assembly will be held Saturday.

There will be 38 sports Incheon later this year and wushu will be included as demonstration sport.

hanoi has set bar far lower than what Guangzhou and Doha had done :(

I guess you're talking about the logos, because as far as I know, organization wise, Guangzhou and Doha set the bar very high.

Will the My Dinh National Stadium receive any sort of Expansion or Renovation for the Games, for example cover for all seating areas, and maybe an expansion to 60,000 seats, similar in capacity to the Incheon Asiad Main Stadium?

My Dinh National Stadium is being expanded to 150,000 seats and a 40,000 seat aquatics centre.

Where'd you get those figures? If it were true it would be the biggest stadium in the world, bigger than May Day Stadium in Pyongyang.

• 1 month later...

Vietnam officials debate $150 mln cost for 2019 Asiad

Vietnamese government officials have been entangled in a debate over the cost of hosting the 2019 Asian Games, with some pointing out that the expenses will be many times the estimated total of US$150 million.

In 2012, Vietnam was awarded the right to organize the multi-sport event after beating Indonesia in a bid to host the games.

Local sports officials have said that organizing the games will cost the country about $150 million.

Sports Minister Hoang Tuan Anh asserted at a National Assembly hearing this week that they have made careful calculations before working out the estimated cost.

But Deputy Finance Minister Do Hoang Anh Tuan argued that the amount does not include the cost of building the athletes’ village.

Tuan made it clear that the construction cost of the village will be at least VND2 trillion ($96.2 million).

He added that the construction of a velodrome for track cycling will cost another VND10 trillion ($480.8 million).

Tuoi Tre has learned that the Republic of Korea spent $2.9 billion on the 2002 Asiad in Busan. Qatar spent a total of $2.8 billion hosting the Asiad in Doha in 2006.

China spent almost $20 billion for the 2010 Asiad, including $2.45 billion for the construction of the athletes’ village.

The Republic of Korea is planning a total cost of $1.6 billion for the 2014 Asiad to be held in September in Incheon.

Sports Minister Tuan Anh admitted that the governments in the aforementioned nations included construction costs in the calculation of total expenses, but in Vietnam, they must be separated because infrastructure development is covered by provincial governments.

Most construction projects for social welfare in Vietnamese provinces are funded by the State budget, which is granted by the central government.

The sports minister added that 80 percent of facilities and infrastructure required for the 2019 Asiad in Vietnam is available and ready for use.

However, Deputy Finance Minister Tuan said the country still needs VND2.6 trillion ($125 million) to repair these facilities.

National Assembly deputy Le Nhu Tien told Tuoi Tre that the sports minister was very ambiguous because he had split the total expenditure into smaller parts.

“I suggest announcing the full cost of organizing this event,” Tien said.

http://tuoitrenews.vn/sports/18471/vietnam-officials-debate-150-mln-cost-for-2019-asiad

I'm sure Hanoi will Host a brilliant Asian Games in 2019, but I wanted Dubai to Host, but they pulled out at the last minute, so Hanoi was the stronger Bid over Surabaya.