2019 Asian Games

gotosy

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

News from Taipei today. Taipei City due to being tied up organizing the 2017 Universade, is now considering withdrawing from the 2019 Asian Games race. The sister city New Taipei City (dumbest name ever) who planned to bid for 2023 Asian Games if Taipei City fails, will now consider move up their bid to 2019.

According to the news the revised application from any city interested in hosting will be due by Feb 15.

Hanoi?

Lovely place to visit, but as a games host?????

:blink:

Here is the article:

Macau, China: The Olympic Council of Asia General Assembly in Macau this November will select the host city for the 2019 Asian Games from one of four bidders: Chinese Taipei, Vietnam, Indonesia and the United Arab Emirates. The OCA Director General and Technical Director, Husain Al-Musallam, informed members of the OCA Media Committee at Tuesday’s meeting in Macau of the four bidding cities.

Vietnam wants the Asian Games in Hanoi, Indonesia in Surabaya and Chinese Taipei in the capital city of Taipei, while the UAE can offer several venues including Dubai and Abu Dhabi. The General Assembly – at the Macau Galaxy on November 3, 2012 - will select only the host for 2019, and not for the 2023 Asian Games also, as was first planned.

The number of events in Asia – including the 2018 Winter Olympics in Korea, the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar and the bids from Tokyo and Doha for the 2020 Summer Olympics – highlighted the prominent role of the continent in world sport, Captain Husain said.

“This shows the growth of sport in Asia; the Olympic Movement is going to a very high level, and Asia is moving ahead more than any other continent,” he told the meeting. “We have the Asian Beach Games in Haiyang in June, and then we can look forward to the London Olympics in July. We are looking for a very positive participation from the NOCs and hope that the number of participants and qualified athletes will be more than in 2008, and that the medal ranking will increase.”

Honestly, now that the Asiad is about the number two international multi-sports event after the actual Olympics I just can't see how Hanoi could even dream about it. If it was the south-east Asian games, perhaps, but then then I think it's a tall task.

What makes you think the Asiad is the second biggest event. In terms of events its the biggest and athletes. However other media report the Commonwealth Games and event the Pan Ams are the second largest event.

What makes you think the Asiad is the second biggest event. In terms of events its the biggest and athletes. However other media report the Commonwealth Games and event the Pan Ams are the second largest event.

Because the Asians attracted 9,500 in Guangzhou vs. 6,000 for the PanAms, and 4,500 for the CWGs. Country-wise, the CWGs may have more (but you have those little quasi-nations like the Faroe Island, Channel Islands, which the rest of the world does NOT recognize). So Rols is right in that right after the Summer Olympics, the Asians are the 2nd largest multi-sport Games. However, the Gay Games are actually the largest games of its kind presently with a 12,500 athlete attendance at its Cologne 2010 outting! This is all on page 162 of my book.

What makes you think the Asiad is the second biggest event. In terms of events its the biggest and athletes. However other media

There's numbers and there's numbers. Basically I was going by a lot of commentary from the time of Doha's Asiad that it was now the second biggest prize in multi-sports events. The Asiad might well hold an edge in competitors and events, but would you seriously try to make an argument that an event nobody outside of Asia much cares about is a bigger event than the Olympics?

The trouble with these continental events is that outside the respective home continents, and geeks like us, nobody cares. I doubt many Aussies for example even know the Pan-Ams exist, much less who is organising them for any particular edition. Rio 2007 got a bit of attention here because of the 2016 bid campaign, otherwise I think interest would have been nada. Sorry Toronto, but 2015 vwon't be getting any headlines much outside the western hemisphere.

Because the Asians attracted 9,500 in Guangzhou vs. 6,000 for the PanAms, and 4,500 for the CWGs. Country-wise, the CWGs may have more (but you have those little quasi-nations like the Faroe Island, Channel Islands, which the rest of the world does NOT recognize). So Rols is right in that right after the Summer Olympics, the Asians are the 2nd largest multi-sport Games. However, the Gay Games are actually the largest games of its kind presently with a 12,500 athlete attendance at its Cologne 2010 outting! This is all on page 162 of my book.

Which I mentioned in my post. THe Faore Islands do not compete at the CWG's

There's numbers and there's numbers. Basically I was going by a lot of commentary from the time of Doha's Asiad that it was now the second biggest prize in multi-sports events. The Asiad might well hold an edge in competitors and events, but would you seriously try to make an argument that an event nobody outside of Asia much cares about is a bigger event than the Olympics?

Hmm in terms of fan and world interest the Olympics are the biggest. I would have to say Pan American Games after because of Olympic qualifications which the CWG and Asian Games lack.

The Pan Ams seem to atract more fans since the US compete there... Most countries are American wannabes so, that makes Pan Ams a little more important perhaps... :P Asiads are really big events tough...

USA could care less, but apparently have promised to send their best athletes to 2015.

R u kidding? There is no major network, primetime television coverage for it. So how "popular" are the PanAms with the general U.S.public? Muy pequeno.

Probably in 2015 you will see a network pick it up since its in Toronto.

The trouble with these continental events is that outside the respective home continents, and geeks like us, nobody cares. I doubt many Aussies for example even know the Pan-Ams exist, much less who is organising them for any particular edition. Rio 2007 got a bit of attention here because of the 2016 bid campaign, otherwise I think interest would have been nada. Sorry Toronto, but 2015 vwon't be getting any headlines much outside the western hemisphere.

Well that is to be expected maybe a headline or two from China and BBC saying the games started. Guadalajara 2011 was well covered by the foreign media. Something like 130 million watched the Opening Ceremony of the Guadalajara game which is more then the Superbowl did on Sunday in the States.

Maybe NBC will give some T&F events some Saturday prime-time...but other than that, no. Which is sad because I would like to see some volleyball and rowing competition.

The USA has promised to send their best athletes where ever they can, and believe this is a homes games due to the proximity. Coupled with the basketball tournament maybe featuring NBA talent anything is possible.

Archived