2019 Asian Games

gotosy

Hanoi hosting Asian Games Nice city and Hotels but the food sucks there is NO fresh food in Northern Vietnam

Hanoi was not so nice compared to Saigon. What did you eat in Vietnam? Their foods are really tasty and I enjoyed them even in northern district.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only real Vietnamese I had was PHO. I never found any Vietnamese sandwich or like rice plate that we have in SF. Maybe all that is in the south. The best food I had was on the cruise in Halong Bay my god that chef was good

It's a nice country but they make it seem Ho Chi Ming is still the leader never any mention to who is the current president

• 3 weeks later...

Potential Cities to replace Hanoi as Host of the 2019 Asian Games, slow to come forward. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/major-games/asian-games/1019540-potential-cities-to-replace-hanoi-as-host-of-2019-asian-games-slow-to-come-forward - Source: Inside the Games.

It's only 2 days since Hanoi withdrew, and you already expect a queue of cities ready to bid?

Was that directed to me or to 'Inside the Games'? If it was to me, then what I posted wasn't an example of my opinion, I was just posting a story from a Source of information.

• 2 weeks later...

Trio vying to host 2019 Asian Games

30.apr.2014

Indonesia, China and UAE are candidates to replace Vietnam as the hosts for the 18th Asian Games in 2019.

Following Vietnam's recent withdrawal from hosting of the Games, the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) is working hard to find a replacement for the quadrennial games to be held in five years' time.

"China, Indonesia and UAE express their respective interest to host the Games," said OCA's vice-president Maj Gen Charouck Arirachakaran, adding that Indonesia will present Surabaya as the host city while UAE will push for Dubai.

"China still hasn`t named the host city. But they have many cities qualified to host the Games"

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/407346/trio-vying-to-host-2019-asian-games

Trio vying to host 2019 Asian Games

30.apr.2014

Indonesia, China and UAE are candidates to replace Vietnam as the hosts for the 18th Asian Games in 2019.

Following Vietnam's recent withdrawal from hosting of the Games, the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) is working hard to find a replacement for the quadrennial games to be held in five years' time.

"China, Indonesia and UAE express their respective interest to host the Games," said OCA's vice-president Maj Gen Charouck Arirachakaran, adding that Indonesia will present Surabaya as the host city while UAE will push for Dubai.

"China still hasn`t named the host city. But they have many cities qualified to host the Games"

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/sports/407346/trio-vying-to-host-2019-asian-games

CHINA!!! CHINA!!! CHINA!!!

Malaysia’s Tunku Imran suggests co-hosting with S’pore to manage rising costs

SINGAPORE — Staging the world’s second biggest multi-sport event might be too costly for Malaysia, but Olympic Council of Malaysia (OCM) President Tunku Imran Jaafar believes a joint-bid with Singapore to stage the Games in 2019 is a “feasible” idea.

Last month, Vietnam’s government withdrew its capital Hanoi as hosts of the 2019 Asian Games just 17 months after it was awarded hosting rights by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA).

The OCA is expected to decide on the new hosts during this year’s Asian Games in the South Korean city of Incheon from Sept 19 to Oct 4. However, with spiralling costs involved, many countries are apprehensive at throwing their names into the hat to replace Hanoi as hosts.

But speaking after the South-east Asian (SEA) Games Federation meetings in Singapore earlier this week, Tunku Imran told TODAY a joint-bid — which if successful will be the first Asian Games held in two countries — from Malaysia and Singapore could work.

“If you ask me if Malaysia would be interested to step in, I would say no. But a joint Singapore and Malaysia bid, if the Olympic Council of Asia, allows it, would be feasible. It would be too costly for Malaysia and Singapore to do it alone. But a joint Singapore-Malaysia bid would be feasible,” said Tunku Imran, who is also Malaysia’s International Olympic Committee member.

“We all know how expensive it is to host an Asian Games of such magnitude. But with Malaysia and Singapore combining their resources, we might be able to handle it. Kuala Lumpur has the Bukit Jalil Sports Complex and Singapore will have their new Sports Hub and in between Johor Baru can offer some venues.”

So far, Singapore has played down talk of bidding to stage an Asian Games, with Singapore National Olympic Council (SNOC) vice-president Ng Ser Miang stressing the Republic is focused on hosting next year’s SEA Games well.

SNOC secretary-general Chris Chan added: “Only the Singapore government can decide if it wants to make a bid to host the Asian Games.

“Personally speaking, I don’t think a joint bid is workable. There are far too many problems, such as logistics and operations, if two separate countries are involved.”

http://www.todayonline.com/sports/football/joint-bid-asian-games-mooted?singlepage=true

Indonesia set to announce readiness to replace Hanoi as Host of the 2019 Asian Games. Full Story Here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/major-games/asian-games/1019827-indonesia-set-to-announce-readiness-to-replace-hanoi-as-host-of-2019-asian-games - Source: Inside the Games.

Indian Olympic Association serious about hosting 2019 Asian Games

New Delhi: The Indian Olympic Association on Tuesday expressed a strong desire to stage the 2019 Asian Games here following the withdrawal of Vietnam capital Hanoi and is banking on the next central government to approve the plan, IOA Secretary General Rajeev Mehta said.

Mehta said in case India hosts the 2019 Asian Games, the IOA will not exercise financial powers and will only organise the multi-sporting event, a remark which appeared to stem from the experience of 2010 Commonwealth Games corruption scandal.

"We want to host 2019 Asian Games after Vietnam's withdrawal. We will take a final decision in IOA General Body Meeting which will be held most likely next month. We are waiting for the new government to be formed and hoping to get its approval," Mehta said.

"We have all the infrastructure in Delhi. I feel it's a matter of getting government approval," he added.

Hanoi was chosen in 2012 to host the 18th Asian Games ahead of Indonesia's Surabaya but last month, the Vietnamese capital withdrew due to economic pressures.

Indonesia has expressed its willingness to step in as a replacement and a final decision on the host city will be decided on September 20 during the Incheon Asian Games.

India had bid for hosting this year's Asian Games but had lost out to Incheon in 2007.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/indian-olympic-association-serious-about-hosting-2019-asian-games/470020-5-23.html

India warned they "must act soon" if bid for 2019 Asian Games to be launched

Discussion on whether India's potential bid for the 2019 Asian Games will go ahead must be made soon, an official has warned following the General Election victory of Bharatiya Janata Party candidate Narendra Modi.

India was not initially considered a candidate to step in after Hanoi withdrew from hosting the Games last month, due to economic pressures, with Indonesia seen as the favoured replacements.

But a "strong desire" was then expressed by the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), pending the approval of the new Government, which will be dominated by Modi's Hindu Nationalist Party following the most decisive election result in three decades yesterday.

Modiis due to be sworn in as Prime Minister on Wednesday (May 21).

The Olympic Council of Asia have set a deadline of July 1 for bids to be expressed, meaning Indian officials face a tight deadline.

"First the IOA has to make an iron cast case to the new Government for bidding," an unnamed official told IANS.

"The Sports Ministry has to prepare a cabinet note studying the pros and cons.

"It all depends on the new Sports Ministry but given the fact that court cases related to corruption in the Commonwealth Games are still pending and it seems they would not take a hasty decision."
With Modi having risen to a power with the promise of addressing fiscal discipline and introducing economic reforms, it remains possible he may oppose a bid, particularly considering the corruption problems India faced as a result of staging the Commonwealth Games in 2010.

But the campaign has also been supported elsewhere in India, including by the Sport Authority of India secretary general Jiji Thomson, who insisted the country has the infrastructure to support a bid.

"Whenever this bid for the 2019 Asian Games comes up, we will support it," he told PTI.

"Why should we shy away from hosting these big Games only because there was corruption scandals in the 2010 Commonwealth Games?

"I am not denying that there was corruption but we should not remain stuck because of that and not host other big Games."

Thomson also spoke optimistically about the prospects of India bidding for an Olympic Games at some point in the future, because "India is the only big country, an important one, which has not hosted an Olympic Games.

"Had it not been the corruption scandal in the 2010 Commonwealth Games, I feel India would have bid for 2020 or 2024 Olympic Games,."

Whatever the ultimate decision of the Indian authorities, Indonesia remain the favourites, with Olympic Council of Asia honorary vice-president Wei Jizhong admitting the South East Asian nation were the "frontrunners" following a visit earlier this month.

Various other bids, including from Qatar, United Arab Emirates, China, Japan and a combined attempt from Malaysia and Singapore have all been rumoured, although none have been confirmed.

A final decision on the host country is due to be made on September 20 during the next edition of the Asian Games in Incheon.

Yeah...but even their appearance in Sochi was almost shambolic. And I wonder how the lawsuits filed against them by the foreign contractors used in CWG 2010 ceremonies, were resolved? I mean, they made a ton of enemies there.

indeed... i mean i thought that delhi 2010 had more problems than just corruptions... right???

Would the OCA even want to go to India though after the mess that was the CWGs? On one hand, it would India a chance at redemption, but I just cannot see it.

Delhi does have all Venues Complete though, because of the 2010 Commonwealth Games. Also, India last Hosted the Asian Games in 1982, compared to China, Hosting in 2010, South Korea in 2014 and Japan in 2017. So, Delhi wouldn't be a bad choice, like Qatar is.

Regardless of whether Singapore wants the Games (Which is an important factor), I believe Singapore would be the OCA's ideal choice. Venues in place, a new destination and Hosted a successful 2010 Summer Youth Olympics.

Not enough time to prepare for Asian Games, says Thailand

PHUKET: A final decision on a country that will replace Vietnam as the host of the 2019 Asian Games will be made in September. That being the case, the question is whether Thailand, which has hosted many Games when others had thrown their hands up, will throw its hat into the ring.

Vietnam laid out comprehensive plans to host the Games in June 2011 and won the bid in November 2012.

Things turned sour when Vietnam backed out last month, claiming economic downturn and lack of experience in hosting such a mega-event as the two main reasons for developing cold feet.

Malaysia and Indonesia have expressed their willingness to step in as a replacement. However, according to sources, the Chairman of The National Sports Committee of Indonesia, Rita Subowo, appeared to distance his country from the bid. Malaysia’s Sports Minister Khairy Jamaluddin said that they were not interested.

Last Tuesday, the Indian Olympic Association, which lost the bid to host this year’s Asian Games to Incheon in 2007, expressed its strong desire to stage the 2019 edition. However, it has to bank on the new central government that will be set up this month to approve the plan.

The final decision to pick the hosts will be made on September 20 during the Asian Games in Incheon, South Korea.

Some have wondered why Thailand, which has magnanimously hosted more Asian Games than any other country, did not raise their hands.

In fact, the Kingdom has already ruled itself out because of the shortage of time to prepare for the Games.

General Yuthasak Sasiprapha, president of the Olympic Committee of Thailand, was very clear in saying that five years is too short a period of time for any country, let alone Thailand.

Hosting the Games means investing in infrastructure, people’s skills and branding. One top priority is the safety of athletes and officials.

It’s clear that Thailand is suffering from general slowdown in economic activity and hosting the Games would mean more public debt and racking up more deficit figures in the national budget.

Therefore, hosting the 2019 Games is too risky for Thailand. - See more at: http://www.phuketgazette.net/thailand-sports/Not-enough-time-prepare-Asian-Games-says/29484#sthash.B2aAvsVV.dpuf

• 2 weeks later...

Taipei, Malaysia interested in hosting 2019 Asian Games

kaohsiung-city-20140530.jpg

Kaohsiung City, which is hoping to host the 2019 Asian Games, celebrating the inauguration of the World Games stadium in 2009. Photo by EPA

MANILA, Philippines - Kaohsiung City of Chinese Taipei and the Malaysian capital of Kuala Lumpur have shown interest in taking over the hosting of the 2019 Asian Games from Vietnam, which withdrew last month due to financial concerns.

Indonesia’s second largest city of Surabaya is the top candidate to host the 18th edition of the quadrennial games, which were moved to 2019 so it won’t coincide with the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics in Japan.

The Olympic Council of Asia (OCA) hinted that Surabaya is capable of taking over from Vietnam after being one of the satellite hosts, along with Jakarta, of the 2011 Indonesia Southeast Asian Games with Palembang as the main hub.

“Indonesia [surabaya] does have a certain advantage. But at this moment, there isn’t a specified candidate for hosting the 2019 Games,” said OCA president Sheikh Ahmad Al-Fahad Al-Sabah, in an earlier interview with The Wall Street Journal.

Surabaya was one of the two final bidding nations for the 18th Asiad along with Hanoi, Vietnam. The capital of East Java lost to Hanoi during the OCA General Assembly in 2012. The new host city will be known during OCA’s general assembly in September in Incheon, South Korea.

Kaohsiung City previously hosted Chinese Taipei’s 2013 Davis Cup Asia/Oceania Group I tie against Australia. Malaysia, on the other hand, wants to host the Asian Games provided that OCA will help them shoulder the cost.

New Delhi, India and Hong Kong are also considering of bidding to take over the hosting rights from Vietnam.

http://www.rappler.com/sports/world/59245-taipei-malaysia-hosting-asian-games

Indonesia’s second largest city of Surabaya is the top candidate to host the 18th edition of the quadrennial games, which were moved to 2019 so it won’t coincide with the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympics in Japan.

http://www.rappler.com/sports/world/59245-taipei-malaysia-hosting-asian-games

Uhm, someone tell the author the Asian Games weren't moved because of a collision with Tokyo 2020...

Archived