2019 Asian Games

gotosy

Besides, the topic here is the Asiad. No one outside their respective continents are going to or wanting to know about other regional Games. They may have basically the same kind of venues for an Olympic Games, but they can't compete against the Olympic Games, when it comes to prestige. Getting on topic here, I am mostly for areas that haven't hosted one yet. However, cost is a major problem to those nations that want to host one. For example, I would like Vietnam to host one.

Getting "off-topic" here, do Americans really care about the Pan-Ams? Sure, it is a qualifying event for the Olympic Games for some sports and events, but for a nation that has hosted the most Olympic Games (summer) in history so far, it could be a "non-event" for some people there.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vietnam had the venues to stage the games. However one has to consider cricket is a full fledged sport and out of the four bids only UAE has some sort of cricket. The other three its virtually un-heard off.

And the China point is moot as Taipei will hos the 2017 Universiade.

Mmh... Actually I think the decision from Indonesia will be out at Feb 9th 2012, so It's not decided yet, who'll be the candidate from Indonesia, just a little info, Palembang, one of the candidate city, just released a news, after they hosted the Sea Games, now they are in debt... :)

Ooops. It looks like Palembang won't be bidding then.

Yes, actually I just read the news, so it's official, Surabaya become the candidate city from Indonesia, actually the candidate is East Java province, with a lot of venues will be in Surabaya and Sidoarjo, Sidoarjo itself is a regency in south of Surabaya, sorry for me it's being so interesting, since Pekanbaru also will host the 3rd islamic solidarity games. :)

Yes, actually I just read the news, so it's official, Surabaya become the candidate city from Indonesia, actually the candidate is East Java province, with a lot of venues will be in Surabaya and Sidoarjo, Sidoarjo itself is a regency in south of Surabaya, sorry for me it's being so interesting, since Pekanbaru also will host the 3rd islamic solidarity games. :)

Tikus, can you find out if they're letting women compete at Riau 2013? I'm really most curious.

Here's the theme song for Surabaya 2019!! :lol:

Wow, you even know pekanbaru is the capital of Riau.... amazing baron :, yes, Indonesia isn't a moslem country, Indonesia is a country based on religions, we recognize 6 big religions. the ISG 2013 will have 17 sports to be competed, except for wrestling, all of 16 competition will be held for man and woman, even for the first time, since Indonesia isn't a moslem country, even a not moslem athlete can be compete in this competition :)

Wow, you even know pekanbaru is the capital of Riau.... amazing baron :, yes, Indonesia isn't a moslem country, Indonesia is a country based on religions, we recognize 6 big religions. the ISG 2013 will have 17 sports to be competed, except for wrestling, all of 16 competition will be held for man and woman, even for the first time, since Indonesia isn't a moslem country, even a not moslem athlete can be compete in this competition :)

Really, Indonesia isn't a 'moslem' country? But don't you have sharia law there already..and isn't islam the dominant religion? And they're allowing women AND non-moslems to participate in Riau 2013? Really?

Yup As I told you Indonesia isn't a moslem country, But more than 80% of Indonesian are moslem, that's why we are a country with biggest moslem population :), and there is only one province in Indonesia that use moslem law, i don't know is it the sharia or whatever since i'm not a moslem ;), and this province is Aceh, one of the poorest and unstable province in Indonesia, I try not to attack my fellow moslem friend, but it seem whenever a province have moslem majority they tend to separated from the mother country, same happen in south of Thailand, south of Phillipines, Bangladesh and Pakistan, don't know why.... and this also happen with Aceh they always try to independence from Indonesia, and once again, you are right, in the next ISG in Pekanbaru we will allow WOMAN and NON MOSLEM to be participated as athlete, and FYI, first Indonesian medalist in Olympic games are WOMAN, and first GOLD MEDALIST for Indonesia in Olympic games is a CATHOLIC WOMAN, so why we won't allowed them ? ;)

I wouldn't say China will oppose a Taipei bid.

Taiwan has once again elected the KMT candidate as the president for a second turn and the past four years cross Taiwan strait relationship have been closer than ever. Under the KMT rule in the past four years we see direct flights, ECFA (free trade agreement), joint economic endeavors, opened up of tourism to Chinese.. etc.

In fact it was widely reported here that the reason Taipei won the Universade over Brasilia was due to the support from China.

. and this also happen with Aceh they always try to independence from Indonesia, and once again, you are right, in the next ISG in Pekanbaru we will allow WOMAN and NON MOSLEM to be participated as athlete, and FYI, first Indonesian medalist in Olympic games are WOMAN, and first GOLD MEDALIST for Indonesia in Olympic games is a CATHOLIC WOMAN, so why we won't allowed them ? ;)

Well, because those Islamic Solidarity Games were set up in reply to the Pan Arab Games which because it is run by an organization wanting to keep their IOC accreditation were forced to allow women athletes in 1985. So the more conservative members of the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIS) set up the ISG (Islamic Solidarity Games) which would not have the IOC's nose sticking in there. So they could run Games w/o women in therm as they did in the first ISG in Saudi Arabia. And then of course ISG 2009 which was scheduled for Iran didn't happen because promotional material printed by the would-be hosts called it the Persian Gulf...whereas all the other neighbors call it the "Arab" Gulf. So there goes your "soiidarity." That's why I am very curious how they are setting up the 2013 Games. Will it push thru or be another farce?

I wouldn't say China will oppose a Taipei bid.

Taiwan has once again elected the KMT candidate as the president for a second turn and the past four years cross Taiwan strait relationship have been closer than ever. Under the KMT rule in the past four years we see direct flights, ECFA (free trade agreement), joint economic endeavors, opened up of tourism to Chinese.. etc.

In fact it was widely reported hrere that the reason Taipei won the Universade over Brasilia was due to the support from China.

But to have three Asians in the same part of the continent 3 editions in a row probably won't happen.

Mmmm Indonesia... Perhaps they'll need to showcase more Surabaya (forgive me if it's misspeled :P) but i like the idea of not going with the capital city :D but a provincial one... ¡Arriba la descentralización! ;) *sorry i dont know the english word for that...

What makes you think the Asiad is the second biggest event. In terms of events its the biggest and athletes. However other media report the Commonwealth Games and event the Pan Ams are the second largest event.

Sorry to hark back to this, but I couldn't remember who was hosting the next Asiad, so I looked it up on Wikipedia (it's Incheon 2014, BTW), and lo and behold, Wiki lists the Asiad as the second biggest event after the Olympics:

Asian games - Wikipedia

Sorry to hark back to this, but I couldn't remember who was hosting the next Asiad, so I looked it up on Wikipedia (it's Incheon 2014, BTW), and lo and behold, Wiki lists the Asiad as the second biggest event after the Olympics:

Asian games - Wikipedia

Thats one source here is another that mention the Pan Ams.

"The Pan American Games are the world's second largest international multisport event behind the Olympic Games."

http://www.insidethegames.biz/sports/summer/cycling/15723-toronto-2015-velodrome-set-for-milton-after-plans-confirmed-to-build-permanent-venue

Thats one source here is another that mention the Pan Ams.

"The Pan American Games are the world's second largest international multisport event behind the Olympic Games."

http://www.insidethe...permanent-venue

Whatever - it will always be a topic for debate, and there's probably no right answer. Personally, I'd count the Asiad, the numbers are clear with that. Olympic qualifying at the Pan Ams still doesn't attract the USA's best, or get them much broadcasting attention there.

And, yeah, Baron's right earlier (I remember when we all thrashed this out years ago) - on sheer numbers, the Gay Games actually beats even the Olympics.

Whatever - it will always be a topic for debate, and there's probably no right answer. Personally, I'd count the Asiad, the numbers are clear with that. Olympic qualifying at the Pan Ams still doesn't attract the USA's best, or get them much broadcasting attention there.

And, yeah, Baron's right earlier (I remember when we all thrashed this out years ago) - on sheer numbers, the Gay Games actually beats even the Olympics.

The USA does not send its best athletes in swimming athletics etc. which are sports which are not olympic qualifiers. Field hockey, Water polo, modern pentathlon etc. send their best athletes.

The fact is the reason why the Asian games have 9000+ athletes is there is no qualification involved, hence anyone can compete for ex. Maldives women's basketball team which lost by 122 points at the Asian Games. Fact is they likely would not have qualified.

The USA does not send its best athletes in swimming athletics etc. which are sports which are not olympic qualifiers. Field hockey, Water polo, modern pentathlon etc. send their best athletes.

The fact is the reason why the Asian games have 9000+ athletes is there is no qualification involved, hence anyone can compete for ex. Maldives women's basketball team which lost by 122 points at the Asian Games. Fact is they likely would not have qualified.

Mate, you're Canadian and they're in your home town, of course you'd like the think they're the second biggest show on earth. Fair enough. But I just can't think of any criteria where they could have any claim to "sloppy seconds". Internationally, I really do think the Asiads are a bigger deal, but as I said, it's all to do with perceptions - I don't think you can come up with a "correct" answer. It's almost as futile as that other "big" debate - the world's biggest sports event full stop - Olympics or FIFA WC?

Mate, you're Canadian and they're in your home town, of course you'd like the think they're the second biggest show on earth. Fair enough. But I just can't think of any criteria where they could have any claim to "sloppy seconds". Internationally, I really do think the Asiads are a bigger deal.

To add the Asian Games had 42 sports vs 36 in the Pan American Games.

If you think of it when the 2014 Asian games have 36 sports and if they have qualification both events should have the same amount of athletes.

With that said both these events are close third behind the Olympics and the Commonwealth Games which are truly international events.

For reals there is not qualification for an Asian?? :o THAT'S UNFAIR hahaha :lol:

Why? All the confederations have different ways to decide on their qualifiers. Nothing is cut-&-dried in the world, even more so in sports.

@intoronto... Further, the Asians are the quadrennial of what? some 3.5 billion people in the world; half the planet. The PanAms represent only like 850-900 million people -- about 1/7th of the world. So how can the latter even come close to the former in that regard?

Archived