2019 Asian Games

gotosy

Taipei City to represent Taiwan in bid to host 2019 Asian Games

Taipei, March 22 (CNA) Taipei City has beaten out Kaohsiung City and Taipei County for the right to represent Taiwan in bidding to host the 2019 Asian Games, the Chinese Taipei Olympic Committee (CTOC) said Monday.

The decision was made less than two weeks before the March 31, 2010 deadline for submitting applications to host the 2019 and 2023 Asian Games.

A total of 14 committee members voted Monday in a vote officiated by CTOC honorary chairman Chang Feng-hsu to decide which city should represent Taiwan. Taipei City received 221 points, ahead of Kaohsiung City's 207 and Taipei County's 171.

The Olympic Council of Asia is scheduled to vote on which country will be awarded the right to host the 2019 Asian Games in April 2011.

So far Vietnam, Singapore, the Philippines, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, and Dubai have all expressed their intention to bid for the games.

Based on the normal four-year rotation, the Asian Games should have been held in 2018, but the Olympic Council of Asia decided in 2009 to move future Games to one year before the Summer Olympics.

http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_Detail.aspx?Type=aALL&ID=201003220040

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taipei City to represent Taiwan in bid to host 2019 Asian Games

Taipei, March 22 (CNA) Taipei City has beaten out Kaohsiung City and Taipei County for the right to represent Taiwan in bidding to host the 2019 Asian Games, the Chinese Taipei Olympic Committee (CTOC) said Monday.

The decision was made less than two weeks before the March 31, 2010 deadline for submitting applications to host the 2019 and 2023 Asian Games.

A total of 14 committee members voted Monday in a vote officiated by CTOC honorary chairman Chang Feng-hsu to decide which city should represent Taiwan. Taipei City received 221 points, ahead of Kaohsiung City's 207 and Taipei County's 171.

The Olympic Council of Asia is scheduled to vote on which country will be awarded the right to host the 2019 Asian Games in April 2011.

So far Vietnam, Singapore, the Philippines, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Hong Kong, and Dubai have all expressed their intention to bid for the games.

Based on the normal four-year rotation, the Asian Games should have been held in 2018, but the Olympic Council of Asia decided in 2009 to move future Games to one year before the Summer Olympics.

http://focustaiwan.tw/ShowNews/WebNews_Detail.aspx?Type=aALL&ID=201003220040

Hong kong games would be amazing!

• 4 weeks later...

Bidding for Asian Games beneficial to HK youth

22:05, April 13, 2010

The president of Hong Kong Olympic Committee Timothy Fok said Tuesday that he would keep striving for the approval of the government and society to the 2019 Asian Games bid, emphasizing on the benefit to be brought to HK's next generation.

"The deadline of launching a bid for the 2019 or 2023 Asian Games has been postponed from the end of March to the end of June, so we have another three months to persuade our government, legislators and citizens," said Fok here at the handover ceremony of the East Asian Games (EAG) Association Secretariat.

The 5th EAG was the first ever international multi-sport event held in Hong Kong. As the host, Hong Kong spent 1 billion HK dollars (0.13 billion U.S. dollars) in the venues, only two of which were newly built.

Fok noted that the dated sports facilities are now incongruous with the city's fame, compared with the other developed infrastructures.

"Our sports facilities have to be promoted no matter if we bid for the Asian Games or not," he said. "Should we decide to bid, the venues to be constructed or improved will be a legacy for our residents, especially for the younger generation."

Vice president of the Chinese Olympic Committee (COC) Yu Zaiqing agreed with his colleague in the International Olympic Committee on the point of venue promotion and expressed his own confidence in Hong Kong to be a good host of Asian Games.

He additionally promised that COC would give all its support to Hong Kong if a bid is finally launched, and offer all kinds of help that Hong Kong need during the bidding procedure.

According to the local media, cities from Chinese Taipei, Singapore, Malaysia, Philippines and Sri Lanka have showed interests in bidding for the 2019 or 2023 Asian Games.

http://english.people.com.cn/90001/90779/90867/6949644.html

• 4 weeks later...

It's 2019 Asian Games, get that right! Oh they're proposing a change I see...The Olympic Council of Asia will vote on which country will be awarded the right to host the 2019 Asian Games April 17, 2011 in the State of Kuwait.

I do hope Manila gets it as a test event to see if they can host something as big as this or the Olympics.

It'll only remotely work of course, if they have a dedicated "Olympic Park" with an odd 70,000 seater main stadium, a new arena, velodrome and aquatics center at the least.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HK intends to bid for 2023 Asian Games

The Chief Executive-in-Council has given approval to the Government to issue a letter of support for the Sports Federation & Olympic Committee of Hong Kong, China to submit a letter of intent to bid to host the 2023 Asian Games.

Secretary for Home Affairs Tsang Tak-sing today said hosting the Asian Games would help encourage high levels of sports performance, promote wider public interest and participation in sports, and raise the community's morale.

The Olympic Council of Asia has set the deadlines of June 30 to submit a letter of intent and the end of 2010 to submit a formal bid to host the 2023 Asian Games. Submitting a letter of intent does not amount to a formal bid.

"Notwithstanding the considerable benefits that the Asian Games would bring, given the scale of the event and the likely implications for our public finances, the support of the community is essential if Hong Kong is to formally bid for the right to host the Games by the end of this year," Mr Tsang said.

Before deciding whether or not the government should support a formal bid, a public consultation exercise will be conducted, he said.

The final decision will depend on the consultation exercise outcome and the Legislative Council's Finance Committee's acceptance of the likely financial implications.

A provisional bid committee with representation from the sports sector, business and community organisations and government agencies will be formed, while a bid team will take forward detailed planning.

http://www.news.gov.hk/en/category/healthandcommunity/100625/html/100625en05002.htm

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I can see Taipei creating political problems for China. I would like to see how Taiwanese nationalism would show up at that.

Well, actually, at the World Games (the meet for all those other sports waiting to get into the summer Olympic slate) in Kaoshuing (Taiwan's 2nd largest city) last year, only the Red Chinese flag showed up. No PRC athletes showed up. So there are ways around it.

• 4 months later...

sad news again.... :(

M’sia not ready to host 2023 Asian Games

March 23, 2011

KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia is not ready to host the 2023 Asian Games because of the cost factor, said Youth and Sports Minister Ahmad Shabery Cheek.

He said the economic situation now did not permit Malaysia to bid for the 19th edition of the Games, more so with costs likely to escalate, maybe double or even triple, in the years to come.

“We cannot burden the people with costs of such magnitude,” he told a press conference after opening a futsal carnival at Universiti Malaya here today.

He said this when asked about Indonesia’s intention to host the 2019 Asian Games after Malaysia declined to do so in view of the cost exceeding RM1.6 billion as of September last year.

Ahmad Shabery estimated that to do a good job of hosting the Asian Games in 2023 would cost the country RM4 billion to RM5 billion, benchmarked against the Asian Games held in Guongzhou, China last year.

The next Asian Games will be held in Incheon, South Korea while Hong Kong, United Arab Emirates (UAE), Vietnam, India and Indonesia are vying to host the 2019 Games.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahmad Shabery Cheek. I hate that guy, won't let KL bid for an Asian Games. Come up with unfeasible reasons for Malaysia not being ready to host the Games. What is he, high?

What do you care if they bid or not? It's NOT YOUR decision to make.

You are obviously a certified, schizoid NUTcase imposing YOUR subjective feelings and totally IRRATIONAL opinions on matters (Rio's ceremonial stadia; Malaysia's choices..) which do NOT concern you nor on which you have been consulted on.

These parties OWE YOU anything -- explanation or otherwise. :rolleyes:

I'm NOT a nutcase, sir, so stop calling me that. I'm taking that as a personal attack. Personal attacks can lead to conflict. Do not start conflicts in this board, sir. And do not hurt my feelings in any way.

I said that statement because I have wanted Kuala Lumpur to host an Asian Games and Shabery Cheek is a bad man because he is responsible for Kuala Lumpur dropping out of bidding for an Asian Games. Also, I was sick of KL dropping out of Asiad bids.

I'm NOT a nutcase, sir, so stop calling me that. I'm taking that as a personal attack. Personal attacks can lead to conflict. Do not start conflicts in this board, sir. And do not hurt my feelings in any way.

I said that statement because I have wanted Kuala Lumpur to host an Asian Games and Shabery Cheek is a bad man because he is responsible for Kuala Lumpur dropping out of bidding for an Asian Games. Also, I was sick of KL dropping out of Asiad bids.

But it's really the Malaysians' business whether they want, or feel they should, bid for anything or not. Malaysia's Government is ultimately responsible to the people of Malaysia, not to the odd Olympic fan with a personal wishlist on an internet forum. Cheek, I'd assume, is just doing what he thinks is right for his country, not going out of his way to be "bad" and deliberately stymie your desires.

I'd personally love to see Sweden bid for a winter games again, but I'd never be arrogant enough to think the Swedes should follow my wishes above and beyond their own civic responsibilities.

• 1 month later...

Well, actually, at the World Games (the meet for all those other sports waiting to get into the summer Olympic slate) in Kaoshuing (Taiwan's 2nd largest city) last year, only the Red Chinese flag showed up. No PRC athletes showed up. So there are ways around it.

You mean the opening/closing ceremony. PRC athletes did show up to compete but did not participate in the ceremonies.

Archived