Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OneTimeOnly

Athens Opening Ceremony Nudity

So I read this on Wikipedia:

Although NBC in the United States presented the entire opening ceremony from start to finish, a topless Minoan priestess was shown only briefly, the breasts having been pixelated digitally in order to avoid controversy (as the "Nipplegate" incident was still fresh in viewer's minds at the time) and potential fines by the Federal Communications Commission. Also, lower frontal nudity of men dressed as ancient Greek statues was shown in such a way that the area below the waist was cut off by the bottom of the screen. In most other countries presenting the broadcast, there was no censorship of the ceremony.

Really? I guess NBC hid it well, so that's why I never knew about it. And the pixelation of the breasts, how fucking stupid (I don't remember that at all)! God, the U.S. can be such an uptight country. :rolleyes:

At any rate, Athens is still one of my two all time favorite opening ceremonies (after Beijing).

Who was responsible for the artistic direction of the Athens 2004 OC?

That report is erroneous. There was NO bare-breasted Minoaness in there. It was only hinted at costume-wise. And the male Kouros, fake genitalia and all, were not censored from the NBC broadcast. It was just shown very quickly.

Read Chapter 6 in SECRETS OF THE OLYMPIC CEREMONIES. This issue is addressed there.

So her boobs were painted on? Because I searched Google Video and I did find the Korean broadcast of that part and she did look (albeit very quickly on the screen) bare breasted to me on the screen.

Just checked the clip. It did look like the breasts were exposed but it went by so fast and it was shot sideways that even for me, it wasn't really all that eye-catching. In the other Minoan-Theran section I was thinking of, the cleavage was just raised a little higher. As for the Kouros, well there are world-famous sculptures like the David that bare everything; and the camera angle was sideways. So really nothing new OR FRONTAL.

Anyway, the point is that's NOT the worst part of it. Papaioannou was going to have the pregnant woman (who comes out at the end of the Klepsydra) appear all naked...until more prudent heads at ATHOC, the IOC and NBC prevailed. THe main consideration was the muslim countries PLUS any of the other networks, carrying it time-delayed, could've excised any offending passages. Remember, this happened some 6 months after the Janet Jackson episode.

So the whole issue isn't really all that shocking.

it was just after janet jackson's wardrobe malfunction. that's why some people perceived the cremony as obscene when it was simply a part of greek culture.

it was just after janet jackson's wardrobe malfunction. that's why some people perceived the cremony as obscene when it was simply a part of greek culture.

That was Janet Jackson's way of audutioning for the Minoan priestess part. But ATHOC later told her that she was NOT right because the Minoan priestesses did NOT pierce their nipples!! :lol::lol:

The statue that was inside the cyclatic head had a penis and scrotum

It got split right down the middle to reveal another statue.

Yeah, that too.

That's what I'm saying...male genetalia (or sculptural representations of it) is hard to censor because it blatantly exists in famous sculptures which are in public places, for centuries. Therefore, the broadcasters of Athens 2004 were caught between a rock and a...hard place. :lol::lol:

The Greeks are just sex-crazed people!!