GB's Vancouver 2010 Paralympics Closing Ceremony Live Chat

I'm trying to get a live feed on the Paralympic.TV site, but can't seem to get it to come up. Instead I keep getting the Visa commercial and coverage from Whistler Olympic Park.

Is the ceremony live on the Paralympic.TV site?

I'm trying to get a live feed on the Paralympic.TV site, but can't seem to get it to come up. Instead I keep getting the Visa commercial and coverage from Whistler Olympic Park.

Is the ceremony live on the Paralympic.TV site?

You have to click the link named "Live" on the bottom of the paralympicsport.tv site. Strangely, they currently show a First Nations dance there (while displaying that it's "live"), while German broadcaster ARD still shows the athletes parading to the medal plaza. Maybe ARD has a time delay in its broadcast.

Yes, indeed -- ARD has a time delay, maybe because the broadcast started eight minutes after the actual start of the closing ceremony.

Anyway, I'll have to tape the rest and watch it tomorrow. Should catch some sleep and not have "Olympic Rings" below my eyes again. ;) That will be of course the big advantage of the next three Olympic Games (including Rio): No big time shifts between them and Central Europe.

now I'm gettign curling. What the hell? How do I get the closing ceremony? I've been trying for the last hour!!! :angry:

Now I just keep getting the Samsung and Visa ad. Still can't get the live feed. I'm clicking on the Live button beneath the player, but I'm getting nothing. :angry:

Sorry, I was thinking that CTV was free to air allaround Canada...

Actually they just extinguished the cauldron... but they are still carying a torch with the flame...

Young Canadians passed the flame to young Russians !!!

And that the end with Fireworks...

Hopefully they'll have the closing ceremony after it airs. I'm hitting the Live button and all I get is Wheel Chair curling Canada vs. Sweden Day 8. I have to idea what the hell is wrong with their player. The site keeps refreshing too, to load advertisments beside the player. :angry:

I think it was an OK ceremony, if you had already lowered expectations beforehand. The idea of having the athletes parade through Whistler (which provided a very cozy setting for that segment, in my opinion -- a little bit reminding of Lillehammer) and let them get celebrated by the people along the road was great. The throat singer was even more whacky than I expected it beforehand. I liked the Sochi presentation a little bit better this time (it was less sterile and cold, maybe because they had to work with a tiny stage, giving it a more private and, in a positive sense, more amateurish feel). The rest was not extremely memorable, and it was notable how short the ceremony was -- it hadn't even really started and then it was over already. Furthermore, I felt sorry for all Canadians whose great, great anthem was transformed into a pop song for the fourth (and final) opening or closing ceremony Vancouver and Whistler staged in this winter. That anthem sounds so great when performed by an orchestra or military band that it doesn't need any forcedly modernised arrangement.

However, now I start to realise that just like the winter has ended, also Vancouver's role as Olympic and Paralympic host has come to an end. It will take quite a while till we'll hear and see of those gracious hosts again and till we Europeans have to stay up late to watch all the important events being staged in that great environment, in that winter-sports-loving nation.

Today I received my Vancouver 2010 commemorative book (it's from the series published by six-time Olympic Champion Kristin Otto and former GDR TV sports commentator Heinz-Florian Oertel), flipped through the pages and thought, "What a great time that was!" These more than five weeks started with a tremendous shock when Nodar Kumaritashvili died and they transformed into such a joyous, relaxed and positively emotional time. Just as Sydney and Australia always had a warm spot in my heart since the 2000 Games, I'll feel the same for Vancouver and Canada from now on. Although Vancouver 2010 (both the Olympics and the Paralympics) had its imperfections, it completely outweighed each flaw with human warmth, hospitality and enthusiasm. So, once more: Thank you Canada! You did yourself proud and you certainly gained a lot of new friends around the world. I look very much forward to the next big sports event in that great country of yours.

List time:

Positives:

+Parade of Athletes

+John Furlongs speech

+Torch extinguishing, a great touch to hand it over to the Russian youth.

+Sir Phillip Craven's stuff - as always a good speaker.

+The first part of Sochi's presentation

+The red torches going down Whistler

+The EXCELLENT fireworks display.

+The canadian north trampoline thing

Negatives:

-The singer in Sochi's presentation. Horrible song

-The throat singer. I said to myself "You can't be serious".

-The hoola-hoop guy

-The length

-The location

And the Russian national anthem is still too long, whereas Canada's one of my favourites.

However, now I start to realise that just like the winter has ended, also Vancouver's role as Olympic and Paralympic host has come to an end. It will take quite a while till we'll hear and see of those gracious hosts again and till we Europeans have to stay up late to watch all the important events being staged in that great environment, in that winter-sports-loving nation.

Hopefully Quebec City will have its turn in 2022, but I also support the Reno/Lake Tahoe bid because it's closer to here and I head down to Reno every few years to hit the slots :D . It'll be an interesting race for the 2022 games. Hopefully with Vancouver, we got some brownie points with the IOC and they'll look favourably at Quebec City - that is, if Quebec City puts in an official bid - hope they do.

Hopefully Quebec City will have its turn in 2022, but I also support the Reno/Lake Tahoe bid because it's closer to here and I head down to Reno every few years to hit the slots :D . It'll be an interesting race for the 2022 games. Hopefully with Vancouver, we got some brownie points with the IOC and they'll look favourably at Quebec City - that is, if Quebec City puts in an official bid - hope they do.

Quebec for 2022!

A new arena here, a new minor one there, and saving the Colisee Quebec is vital to any future bid.

Expect a dramatically different one to 2002, where the Quebec team will actually do everything right.

Mountain woes you say? Well that's simple, actually cap Cap du Salut! An increase by 200 odd meters, and the finishing area near the river and not at it is far more favorable than a ramp setup and can work thanks to modern techniques and such. Sure it'll cost more, but will leave a lasting legacy, will not be temporary, and will not cause Quebec to be a laughing stock of a bid. Just keep the environmental concerns at bay and you got a reasonably successful proposal.

Edited by Lord David

Quebec for 2022!

A new arena here, a new minor one there, and saving the Colisee Quebec is vital to any future bid.

Expect a dramatically different one to 2002, where the Quebec team will actually do everything right.

Quebec City needs an NHL team back too :DB) . Damn Bettman for sending the Nordiques across the border to Denver and the Winnipeg Jets down to the desert in Phoenix. :angry:

Hopefully this rumour is true about trying to get an NHL franchise back to the city, and, hopefully using the situation to assist with a bid. B)