Festival 2012

Rob2012

I believe that British art is still the most dynamic and important in the world.

Worded better?

It's less arrogant and matter of fact than what your previous words stated. At least now, instead of passing off such a view as a fact, you're stating it as an opinion, although one which is still unsubstantiated.

For the record, I too believe Britain has a highly esteemed place in the art world -- from graphic design, fine art to fashion. But I couldn't place it, or any country above another as the absolute benchmark of supremacy.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. It's not nastiness to state a fact. And it was a fact that a) stating Britain is the greatest artistic nation on earth is an arrogant statement devoid of proof, B) People, such as Darjole, conflate their sense of pride, egoism etc with the Olympics thus take critiques of London 2012 personally.

So, what's wrong with pointing this out? I didn't say it. I commented on it. That's what forums are about.

p.s Darjole didn't state it as an opinion but rather matter of factly. Read the post again Rob. You're now digging I'm afraid. I still stand by what I said and how I said it.But if you're so concerned, how about you ask him?

2) Instead of asking me to ponder or mind-read if Darjole would want to reply to such a post, did it ever occur to you that people might be put off posting in the London forum when British members like Darjole post such arrogant drivel? Can you see how his post might put some people off? Or do you see that but don't wish to mention it because you've established your line of attack against my perfectly fine post and don't wish to concede you have a skewed reasoning going on?

But hey Rob, get in a hissy fit about me pointing out facts.

Oh, and another thing Rob, I'm aware that your reference to the gossiping you do in the premium members lounge is meant to inspire fear, paranoia etc in me. I simply could not care. People are free to talk. And if they want to talk about me, that's fine.You know I'm not a premium member so your only motivation for saying such a thing is for the reasons aforementioned. As a wise man said, "Let'em talk".

Yeah, but they don't "talk" about anyone else much. Geddit? It wasn't meant to insire fear, :lol: just an FYI, and to give you something to think about, to show I'm not alone in my opinion of your posting style.

And I can quite confidently predict your outrage if anyone dared suggest any of your opinions existed because you felt you needed an ego-boost or couldn't take critisism.

Anyway, I see DarJoLe has reworded his post to keep you happy. And I'll ask the question: why do you place the UK above all other nations DarJoLe? Given the scathing reaction to some of these works, what makes you confident this is the case and how has the disconnect between your belief and the public perception taken place?

Yeah, but they don't "talk" about anyone else much. Geddit? It wasn't meant to insire fear, :lol: just an FYI, and to give you something to think about, to show I'm not alone in my opinion of your posting style.

And I can quite confidently predict your outrage if anyone dared suggest any of your opinions existed because you felt you needed an ego-boost or couldn't take critisism.

Anyway, I see DarJoLe has reworded his post to keep you happy. And I'll ask the question: why do you place the UK above all other nations DarJoLe? Given the scathing reaction to some of these works, what makes you confident this is the case and how has the disconnect between your belief and the public perception taken place?

Well Rob, if gossiping like a wee granny gives you happiness in your life, I'm genuinely happy for you. And if I'm in your brain so much that you feel the need to join up with your posse of gamesbids members to gossip, then clearly you think a lot about me. You're what, 27 years old and behaving like this? You didn't make me think about anything though except further compound my beliefs that you're a tad obsessed by me -- so much so that you will ignore comments as this thread has shown and zoom in on me.

So, I'm flattered. I think?

I would pretend that I talk about you, but I would be lying.

Well Rob, if gossiping like a wee granny gives you happiness in your life, I'm genuinely happy for you. And if I'm in your brain so much that you feel the need to join up with your posse of gamesbids members to gossip, then clearly you think a lot about me. You're what, 27 years old and behaving like this? You didn't make me think about anything though except further compound my beliefs that you're a tad obsessed by me -- so much so that you will ignore comments as this thread has shown and zoom in on me.

I point out a distinct nastiness in your posting style, and point out that I'm not the only one who's noticed it (because I'm really not and nor was I the one who first noticed it), and in your little mind that equates to me being obsessed with you does it? **** me, how sad is that?

As I said, I can easily predict how you would have reacted to your own words were they aimed at you. If someone replaced the word London with Scotland and said those words to you. Yeah, you'd have taken that well wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

As I've said before, you fly off the handle at the slightest criticism of yourself, but act slighted when anyone points out the same, more often than not worse, problems in your own posts about other people. I'm bored with it frankly and wish this forum was better moderated so I didn't feel like I had to say the same **** over and over again.

I point out a distinct nastiness in your posting style, and point out that I'm not the only one who's noticed it (because I'm really not and nor was I the one who first noticed it), and in your little mind that equates to me being obsessed with you does it? **** me, how sad is that?

As I said, I can easily predict how you would have reacted to your own words were they aimed at you. If someone replaced the word London with Scotland and said those words to you. Yeah, you'd have taken that well wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

As I've said before, you fly off the handle at the slightest criticism of yourself, but act slighted when anyone points out the same, more often than not worse, problems in your own posts about other people. I'm bored with it frankly and wish this forum was better moderated so I didn't feel like I had to say the same **** over and over again.

And I've pointed out I simple do not care for your gossip. You're a premium member -- feel free to, as a 'mature' 27 year old guy, to go and gossip about me in your little den as I'm obviously so imprinted into that brain of yours. Like I said Rob, I'm deeply flattered.

This thread is about the festival surrounding the 2012 games, and you have used it as an opportunity to inform me that in the premium members lounge people like to talk about me, of which you are one. Right, ok. And? It's not on topic. And it was an attempt by you to try and antagonise me. Sorry Rob, it didn't work. Please grow up.

You are now ranting about supposed things I've done yadda yadda yadda. How about you stick on topic Rob? I mean, I could drag up many things you've done which are rude, patronising, culturally ignorant bordering on xenophobic. But I won't.

Now Rob, if you feel the need to inform me of your gossip sessions, you can PM me. This thread is not the place for such devious tactics by you.

Regards.

Without wishing to sound nationalistic - I quite like some of the executions of the posters. Locog have been brave - it's good to see equal visibility for the Paralympics. I think this is a first? Davey - the prints are very expensive - considered buying one but my roof won the day!

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Needed to put this :) as a venezuelan i'm proud that one of our people is taking part on the opening events of the festival

http://www.london2012.com/news/articles/london-2012-festival-opening-concert-screened-live-bbc.html

London 2012 Festival opening concert to be screened live on BBC

A unique concert in Scotland to mark the official start of the

London 2012 Festivalwill broadcast to thousands of people across the UK on 21 June.

1255316_M01.jpg

Gustavo Dudamel

World-famous Venezuelan conductor Gustavo Dudamel will conduct the opening concert of the London 2012 Festival.

'Simón Bolívar Orchestra - Live from Stirling' will take place in the heart of Raploch, against the backdrop of Stirling Castle, and will broadcast on BBC Four, BBC Radio Scotland and at 22 Live Sites across the UK.

This unique concert will be the official start of the London 2012 Festival across the UK and will be one of the largest outdoor classical music events ever held in Scotland.

Special guest appearance

Led by conductor Gustavo Dudamel, almost 300 musicians will perform to an audience of thousands drawn from the local community, across the UK and the world. The concert will also feature a special guest appearance by the children of Big Noise, a programme which aims to transform the lives of young people.

Ruth Mackenzie, London 2012 Festival Director, said: ‘Sistema Scotland (the charity behind Big Noise) sums up beautifully the values of the London 2012 Festival – world class excellence combining the talent of local young people with their hero Gustavo Dudamel and his amazing orchestra from Venezula.’

The London 2012 Festival will be a spectacular 12-week nationwide celebration running from 21 June – 9 September, bringing together leading artists from across the world with the very best from the UK.

I'm so happy. Too bad we don't have BBC here (here's hoping someone records it and put it online)

A video of Dudamel directing the Mahler 2nd Symphony at the BBC Proms 2011

• 1 month later...

London 2012 Festival officially starts

The London 2012 Festival officially launches today.

Lasting 12 weeks, the festival includes 25,000 artists from the 204 Olympic and Paralympic nations taking part in 12,000 events from live music shows to comedy to theatre across the country.

There are 10million free tickets to events at 900 venues.

Ruth Mackenzie, director, Cultural Olympiad and London 2012 Festival, said: “When the UK won the bid for the Olympics in 2005, we promised to return to Baron Pierre de Coubertin’s original idea of an Olympic Games based on the three pillars of sport, art and education.

“This summer, London 2012 Festival showcases the world’s greatest artists alongside the stars of the sports world, a once in a lifetime cultural experience to match the once in a lifetime visit of the Olympic and Paralympic Games to the UK.”

Among the highlights is Yoko Ono’s Imagine Peace art installation, which will be unveiled on London 2012 Live Site screens, situated at free outdoor venues in London including Hyde Park, Victoria Park, Walthamstow and Woolwich.

Imagine Peace is Ono’s worldwide initiative of anti-violence, featuring the Imagine Peace message translated into 24 world languages. A major exhibition of her work will also be on show at the Serpentine Gallery as part of the London 2012 Festival.

Other highlights of the London 2012 Festival include the World Shakespeare Festival, with performances of the Bard’s plays.

The first major survey of Damien Hirst’s work ever held in the UK, bringing together over 70 of the artist’s works including For the Love of God and other seminal pieces, will be at the Tate Modern until September 9, the last day of the London 2012 Festival.

There will be a number of events from the Festival’s Unlimited programme, the largest ever UK programme celebrating arts, culture and sport by disabled and deaf people.

Tate Britain is displaying the Official Olympic and Paralympic Posters by artists including Fiona Banner, Rachel Whiteread and Tracey Emin until September 21.

Celebrated conductor Gustavo Dudamel and the Simón Bolívar Symphony Orchestra of Venezuela return to London’s Southbank Centre for a four-day residency, Sounds Venezuela 2012, this weekend.

Also taking place this weekend is the free Trafalgar Square festival West End LIVE, for the first time featuring entertainment from every single one of London’s highly-acclaimed West End musicals.

ENO bring Damon Albarn’s Dr Dee to the London stage.

The London 2012 Festival is the finale of the Cultural Olympiad.

http://www.london24....tarts_1_1417344

The concert in Scotland was really wonderful. The Venezuelan orchestra were spot on, great musicians and a fun performance, great start to the festival. Birminghams Voyage looked great too.

OOOh and this is my 2012 th post!

I think so; it says that they are telling the story of Prometheus with the puppets. I'm only a few miles from Greenwich but with no buses today, various pals are pulling out of going since the journey isn't great unless you can get to a DLR station. I'm debating cycling over in an hour but not sure I fancy cycling back alone on a totally unfamiliar route at 11pm.

I think so; it says that they are telling the story of Prometheus with the puppets. I'm only a few miles from Greenwich but with no buses today, various pals are pulling out of going since the journey isn't great unless you can get to a DLR station. I'm debating cycling over in an hour but not sure I fancy cycling back alone on a totally unfamiliar route at 11pm.

That's right, there's no bus today. I'm not going then since the fastest and easiest way for me to get there is by bus! Darn...

I went to the Prometheus after all after figuring out a slightly convoluted route. It was really quite impressive. Someone there told me that the people who staged it are involved in the Paralympic Ceremonies. If so, it bodes well! I'll see if I can upload some pictures somewhere to give you a sense of it.

Most of the performers were volunteers (able-bodied and disabled) and they had them suspended on ropes hanging from a large crane 50ft up while dancing. Quite a spectacle! Several thousand people there to watch and the setting was beautiful; particularly as the giant puppet 'walked' across the quad with the turrets of the Naval College in the background.

On Thursday, I went to the torch relay evening celebrations in Bowness-on-Windemere. Afterwards, there was a London 2012 Festival event which was great as we got two shows instead of just one! The show was called On the Night Shift and involved a French group called Les Commandos Percu who are a kind of percussion-type group and have a dance act with it which included British dancers. The difference being that they also include fireworks in their set and the fireworks come off instruments and the stage. The downside was that the heavens opened and everybody was totally soaked and all the umbrellas kind of spoiled things a little. I took some pictures but they don't look that impressive! It was much better than this honest!

152gb.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

148is.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone going to London this summer I would sign up for this. It sounds like its going to be a quite spectacular suprise performance. Sign up for info because there wont be much notice by the sound of it. They are being interviewed on the Culture Show this week for anyone in the UK.

http://www.surprises-streb.co.uk/

Anyone going to London this summer I would sign up for this. It sounds like its going to be a quite spectacular suprise performance. Sign up for info because there wont be much notice by the sound of it. They are being interviewed on the Culture Show this week for anyone in the UK.

http://www.surprises-streb.co.uk/

Intrigued. Will do.

Just watched a bit of the secret rehersals of the Streb suprise. Its at 7 venues throughout the day with the last just before midnight. She mentioned they needed permissions from the river people and one of the practice frames wasa dead ringer for tower bridge. If it is dancers will be throwing themselves of tower bridge on bungee ropes at some point. She said it was in one area too so I tink it will be at sites along the Thames throughout the day.

Archived