GB's Vancouver 2010 Paralympics Opening Ceremoy Live Chat

Nope the place cards are wooden, again made from trees damaged by pine beetles.

is it equally nice as the olympic placards which to date is the best one i've seen both for winter and summer.

Looks like there only using the center part of the cauldron.

Those trap doors must've really screwed up after Feb 28. ;)

Since they're using only the cenre section of the cauldron, they should've put some skirt or something around that skinny gas pipe.

Who's lighting the outdoor cauldron?

Overall pretty boring, although I have never seen a Paralympic OC before so it might have been good compared with ones in the past.

Overall I thought it was ok. There was no point in repeating what was done a few weeks ago i.e. retelling Canada's history, etc. It was good to see Terry's parents walk in with the torch.

Unfortunately, I had only caught a small glimpse of the opening ceremony here. Only the Vancouver area got to see it and practically no where else in Canada on TV. I know because I have satellite TV service by Bell. Anyway, I will watch it tomorrow, when CTV Vancouver will re-broadcast it again.

Anybody know if the ceremony is being broadcast on CTV's website? I can't seem to find a link for the opening ceremony.

CTV will be re broadcast the Opening Ceremony on Saturday at 2pm PST

What do you think of the background music while the athletes are coming in? I think the music for the athletes march for the olympics was better a few weeks ago.

Just back from BC Place...

This music was totally bad... as the global ceremony they tried to do it in a "young / fun" style... So music for teenagers... that sucked !!!

And a global comment on the ceremony... no paralympic spirit...

It was once again an hymn to canada... but not an hymn to the Games or even to the Athletes....

Exept, John Furlong speach, once again very good ! And a Phil Kraven (IPC president)'s speach mostly totaly in French !!! (I met him a few years agao without knowing he was speaking an exellent French !).

And once again, Niki W was there !!! I said you guys, VANOC had a special deal with her... they use her at anytime.... any ceremony !!!

Sad they do not used the actual same cauldron than for the Olympic ??? Does someone know if they lighted the one at Canada Place ?

To conclude... a ship ceremony ! Sad when you managed to get 60,000 people inside your stadium !!!

I think tickets were sold out for the opening ceremony.

Yes the stadium was full

sorry folks, I didn't hear my alarm clock and slept through and therewith I couldn't watch the live broadcast by the ZDF (Second German TV) - that makes me a little bit angry about myself...

And the worse is I just switched on ZDF for the slalom world cup decisions in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and had to learn that they just showed the highlights of the ceremony a second time and I missed it again...

:angry::(:angry:

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

I was at BC Place. Having been to both Vancouver Opening Ceremonies, I found this one more youthful and energetic compared to the formal and traditional pomp of the Olympics. They obviously had a much smaller budget - I believe only $4-6 million. It was louder in there than for the Olympics, but I put that on the drum. To make noise, people had to use their voices and applause this time around.

Oh, and the placards. They said in the stadium show that the wood was from drift wood that washed up on the shores of British Columbia. Not pine beetle infested wood.

I was a bit disappointed that they used plastic ponchos. Felt not very green friendly. Some of them will likely end up washed up on the shores some day. :(

Overall, I thought it was a fun ceremony and met my expectations. And of course, Fefe Dobson's performance made me think of thatsnotmypuppy. LOL!

Edited by Kendegra

sorry folks, I didn't hear my alarm clock and slept through and therewith I couldn't watch the live broadcast by the ZDF (Second German TV) - that makes me a little bit angry about myself...

And the worse is I just switched on ZDF for the slalom world cup decisions in Garmisch-Partenkirchen and had to learn that they just showed the highlights of the ceremony a second time and I missed it again...

:angry::(:angry:

Don't worry -- you can watch the complete ceremony on the ZDF website (I suppose that it's only accessible to German users): http://paralympics.zdf.de/ZDFsport/inhalt/21/0,5676,8017493,00.html?dr=1

Well, Sky Sport screened the ceremony live here in New Zealand, which was quite impressive, so good work to them. Ummm, a little bit disappointed, but I guess good in the context of the budget and that these were the Paralympics. Not surprisingly, a downer after the amazing Beijing ceremonies. Not from just a size point though, I can't help but feel they were just falling into that corny mould of *how inspiring, overcoming the ods etc etc*. Yes, we get that. But these are high performance athletes with the mindset of any other Olympic athlete, I can't help but think that these guys would be cringing at the cheese put before them.

I don't see why they can't give them just a normal artistically fun opening ceremony, keeping in mind budget restraints of course.

There were moments of that in this ceremony, which worked well, but overall was just a tad kitch and abit too wordy too, definetely not one of the multi-national non English speaking nations.

As for the music, there were a few nice parts, but had that really bad casio keyboard calgary 88 sounding quality to alot of it.

A few times I could see that they had some good ideas, but maybe budget got in the way, and that particular idea turned into various levels of nothingness.

They set it up so well during the story blanket part, with that thing covering the floor and then the storytelling scene rising up on the main stage. But instead of doing something cool with that, they just propelled Sumi into the air, a mascot.

I just wouldve liked them take a different thematic approach instead of doing the Paralympic standard. Something like the Plane tree in Athens.

In saying all this, for a 5m production for the Paralympics, it was decent.

• Like 3

@ Canadian GB-members

I have a question - in the intro video of the Paralympics Opening Ceremony a waterfall is shown, which falls into a round hole - does anybody know the name of that waterfall?

Brandywine Falls, just a bit south of Whistler.

Finally saw the half hour (closer to 15 minutes after the intro) highlights package we got here in Australia. Pathetic coverage - 30 minutes a day. Anyhow.

FEFE!!!!!!!!!

They showed (surprisinglyZ) almost her entire performance of 'Watch Me Move'.

Otherwise what we saw looked fun.