U.S. Winter Bid for 2022 or 2026

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It came across as arrogant (maybe that's far too strong a word actually) because it's making an assumption that the vote was about a message to America, when quite frankly it wasn't. It's viewing the

The thing that surprises me the most in this thread is that there are so many people who are unwilling to just be patient. Is it really that hard to wait and put forward a top-drawer American bid when

And do u really think they will turn down the whatever $.5 million deposit for over a year + all the interest it can add to its coffers, at the outset--just to put US supporters' mind at rest? And wh

I have a solution, how about Los Angeles bid for the winter olympics? I'm not joking. If Munich can do it, why not LA? Aren't there ski resorts like big bear about an hour away? I think it would be quite interesting since LA has summer weather year round however you can clearly see the snow capped mountains from some vantage points in the LA basin. It would also feel as grand as a summer olympics since the opening/closing ceremonies would take place at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum.

SF has tremendous international appeal, superbly scenic and iconic (Golden Gate Bridge, Cable Cars, Victorian Row Houses, Lombard Street, the hills, proximity to Napa and Sonoma, and more etc etc etc), world famous, and has the infrastructure. It beats Chicago in everything I've mentioned (and this isn't to rip on Chicago, but the fact is more people outside of the U.S. can tell you about San Francisco and it's charms while drawing a huge blank on Chicago).

Well, not according to the unofficial poll that the USOC took of some IOC members when the USOC was still to determine it's 2016 candidate. Chicago received the highest praises than Los Angeles & even San Francisco in that 'poll'. One of the Italian IOC members even called Chicago "America's 'second' city".

Chicago has world-class architecture (the "birthplace" of the Skyscraper), world-class dining, world-class museums (moreso than S.F.), world-class shopping & accommodations, a spectacular waterfront shoreline & a night life that's arguable better as well, etc, etc, etc. So to say that it's a 'fact' that people outside the U.S. would draw a "huge blank" about Chicago is a totally underrated comment, to say the least.

A picture's worth a thousand words....

Yes, Tahoe's spectacular and yes, Reno could fulfill the basic requirements of hosting. But if you were the IOC, would you want to go there?

Yeah, & lets see some pictures of Sochi. Oh, yeah that's right. There's hardly any to speak of, if any.

That's why in the closing of Vancaouver when the Russians came out to promote their Winter Games, they came out with cut-outs of the Kremlin & Red Square because Sochi is so "exciting". But the IOC still wants to go there. Go figure. At least Reno has something to build on.

First, Chicago was totally ready.

Second, I'm not talking about NOW. 2024 and 2028 are hardly NOW.

Yes, NYC is the biggest city in the U.S. LA and Chicago are 2 and 3 respectfully. The point is that the next host doesn't have to be one of our biggest cities. It needs to be a city with character, international appeal and sufficient infrastructure. The big 3 fit could fit that criteria, but so could some others.

But again, 2024 & 2028 might still be too early yet for even San Francisco. For a 2024 bid, the city would have to be getting their sh!t together "now". And that doesn't look very likely.

And really, besides San Francisco, there's NO other city in the U.S. that fills the shoes of the attributes (besides the "big 3") that you speak of. Maybe Boston or Seattle, but they also have their issues. So again, who else? The only cities that are gonna be rambunctious like a bunch of school kids on pure sugar are those 2nd & pesky 3rd tier cities that want to buy their "15 minutes of fame" in the spotlight. And like I've already said, I don't wanna see the Summer Olympics in any of those diddly towns, & I'm sure you don't, either.

What, nobody likes my LA winter games idea? Is it logistically impossible or does Tahoe have something that Big Bear doesn't? I think an LA winter games would be a 2 birds in 1 stone deal. A top tier US city, though a previous Olympic host, but for the winter games for the first time. Everyone would enjoy both summer and wintertime amenities and the compeition would be very favorable for a US win.

I would prefer a summer olympics over a winter games but I think this would be a great back up plan. I think we should stick with NY, Chicago or SF as far as SOG goes, the rest shouldn't even be a consideration. We've already had a St. Louis and an Atlanta and I think it's time we showcase the creme de la creme. I think the only city that can provide an Olympic Park setting with a lot of venues in one cluster is NY. Flushing meadows is screaming Olympics, the layout almost feels like it was designed with the Olympics in mind for the future. Although a lot of people hate the whole temporary stadium idea, I think it's the only one that will work for this situation. There's a pond on the east end of flushing meadows that would fit a temporary t&f field perfectly. Maybe the t&f field be made retractable and use the pond for the opening/closing ceremonies a la Athens. The area east of citi field is already zoned for future residential/mixed use development. That would make the perfect location for an Olympic Village. I think 2012 was way too soon after Atlanta and there was no way NYC2012 was going to recover from the westside stadium fallout but if/once the USOC fixes their internal issues and rebuild relations with the IOC, I think the timing would be right for a NYC 2024/2028 bid. Otherwise, I'd like to see LA 2022/2026!

• Like 1

Some people think Munich's already a step to far. To me, Barcelona's winter proposal sounds a bit too off-key. I suppose that LA, like those, could be do a Winter Games feasibly. You could probably also mount similar proposals for cities like New York City and Tokyo. But at some point it seems to me to become less a "winter host in waiting" than a "why aren't they setting their sites on the summer games?" proposals.

Well, not according to the unofficial poll that the USOC took of some IOC members when the USOC was still to determine it's 2016 candidate. Chicago received the highest praises than Los Angeles & even San Francisco in that 'poll'. One of the Italian IOC members even called Chicago "America's 'second' city".

Chicago has world-class architecture (the "birthplace" of the Skyscraper), world-class dining, world-class museums (moreso than S.F.), world-class shopping & accommodations, a spectacular waterfront shoreline & a night life that's arguable better as well, etc, etc, etc. So to say that it's a 'fact' that people outside the U.S. would draw a "huge blank" about Chicago is a totally underrated comment, to say the least.

Oh it's totally true, what I said about SF. Full of world famous recognizable icons, and natural beauty that Chicago can't touch.

Oh and back when Chicago was bidding it was talked about often how outside of the United States, Chicago just isn't that well known, the New York, L.A. and San Francisco are.

Regarding L.A. hosting a winter games: Someone around here had suggested L.A. and the mountains of Big Bear before, and it was immediately shot down by other posters who said that the mountains at Big Bear were not of international competition quality. Plus, if you think Sochi is getting ridiculous for a winter games, then what the heck is L.A.? At least snow does fall in Sochi from time to time.

uhmmm...yeah, LA...something I proposed long ago since they have the Matterhorn down there in Anaheim!! :lol:

This thread has turned totally ridiculous.

does Tahoe have something that Big Bear doesn't

Uhmmm, last I looked there was this big beautiful thing called THE LAKE...oh wait, I thought those were those big black guys playing basketball in downtown LA. Duh. What a stupid question.

Reno tacky? What about having to commute--roughly a 2.5 hour trip w/ no traffic -- between downtown LA thru East LA, Pomona, Fontana, San Bernardino, Riverside, etc vs. a 40-min drive w/ lots of mountain scenery between Reno and Tahoe? Well, I guess if that's some people's idea of LESS TACKY scenery than one small mountain town called Reno, then I need my eyes checked. That's half-a-dozen FAR TACKIER cities than Reno your Winter Games visitors would have to be subjected to if you did an LA-BIg Bear combo which even the USOC would just toss down the garbage can.

Where do posters like One-Time-Only come from? :blink:

Edited by baron-pierreIV

uhmmm...yeah, LA...something I proposed long ago since they have the Matterhorn down there in Anaheim!! :lol:

This thread has turned totally ridiculous.

Uhmmm, last I looked there was this big beautiful thing called THE LAKE...oh wait, I thought those were those big black guys playing basketball in downtown LA. Duh. What a stupid question.

Reno tacky? What about having to commute--roughly a 2.5 hour trip w/ no traffic -- between downtown LA thru East LA, Pomona, Fontana, San Bernardino, Riverside, etc vs. a 40-min drive w/ lots of mountain scenery between Reno and Tahoe? Well, I guess if that's some people's idea of LESS TACKY scenery than one small mountain town called Reno, then I need my eyes checked. That's half-a-dozen FAR TACKIER cities than Reno your Winter Games visitors would have to be subjected to if you did an LA-BIg Bear combo which even the USOC would just toss down the garbage can.

Where do posters like One-Time-Only come from? :blink:

Baron, I DID NOT SUGGEST L.A. FOR WINTER GAMES. I think L.A. for a Winter Games is RIDICULOUS!!! It was user "bythebay" the suggest L.A. for a winter games!

Oh it's totally true, what I said about SF. Full of world famous recognizable icons, and natural beauty that Chicago can't touch.

Oh and back when Chicago was bidding it was talked about often how outside of the United States, Chicago just isn't that well known, the New York, L.A. and San Francisco are.

I never said that your mentions about San Francisco aren't true. What I was refutting was your "huge blank" comment about Chicago, which is totally underrated, to say the least.

And again, the unofficial poll the USOC did with some IOC members back when the USOC was yet to still pick their 2016 candidate, Chicago received better praises than either Los Angeles (although L.A. was probably moreso about their 2 hostings already) & San Francisco. I would think that "International" Olympic Committee members are at least somewhat of a traveled & knowlegeable bunch.

I never said that your mentions about San Francisco aren't true. What I was refutting was your "huge blank" comment about Chicago, which is totally underrated, to say the least.

And again, the unofficial poll the USOC did with some IOC members back when the USOC was yet to still pick their 2016 candidate, Chicago received better praises than either Los Angeles (although L.A. was probably moreso about their 2 hostings already) & San Francisco. I would think that "International" Olympic Committee members are at least somewhat of a traveled & knowlegeable bunch.

Internationally speaking, I think Chicago is one of the U.S.' great undiscovered destinations. That's why it seemed like such a promising host. Chicago is a gorgeous city with beautiful views, great architecture, cultural diversity, sporting legacy, art, music, theater, food... The world will be very pleasantly surprised by Chicago if they ever decide to come. As to why the Italian IOC member called it "America's second city," it is known as "The Second City" because it was totally rebuilt after the famous Chicago fire. LA still ranks as number 2 in terms of size and influence, but in recent years Chicago has closed the gap. Of course LA is also a metropolitan oddity due to the fact that it is so amazingly spread out...

Regarding Baron's comments that it's a done deal between the USOC and Reno for 2022, perhaps in his omniscience he knows something we don't. Even if the U.S. submits a Reno bid and even if the IOC chooses it (both significant "ifs"), that still doesn't make it a GOOD choice for anyone concerned.

Regarding Baron's comments that it's a done deal between the USOC and Reno for 2022, perhaps in his omniscience he knows something we don't. Even if the U.S. submits a Reno bid and even if the IOC chooses it (both significant "ifs"), that still doesn't make it a GOOD choice for anyone concerned.

Oh have you looked at the bid plan already, can you tell me what's in it? You apparently already know Reno-Tahoe is a bad choice.

I mean come on. We all know what you think of Reno's "tackiness", but a bid plan would almost certainly involve some sort of revitilization and improvement. Can we just at least get SOME details about the bid before you immediately dismiss it?

Edited by nykfan845
  • Like 1

Oh have you looked at the bid plan already, can you tell me what's in it? You apparently already know Reno-Tahoe is a bad choice.

I mean come on. We all know what you think of Reno's "tackiness", but a bid plan would almost certainly involve some sort of revitilization and improvement. Can we just at least get SOME details about the bid before you immediately dismiss it?

No matter what is in the bid, that downtown snapshot is not going to change. I do not doubt they will have the venues, the hotel rooms, the infrastructure, etc. But I will never agree with the decision to prolong the wait for quality Summer Games by choosing a sub-standard Winter host. If the U.S. is going to go for 2022 it needs to be with some city that is more appealing than Reno. (Again, I have nothing against the Tahoe part of the plan.) You will probably descry the following statement as melodramatic, but I'll make it anyway. IF the USOC submits Reno for 2022, I will hope the bid goes down to defeat and will thereby increase the chances of future American success. The problem with this is that if too many more cities lose, whose going to want to bid other than Tulsa? (Everybody is already recognizing this problem.) Even if the USOC goes for Reno (I concede, I can imagine this), I think the IOC is going to be a tougher sell. Unlike Sochi, Reno's "tackiness" as you call it, has been well publicized. There isn't going to be any way to pretend that the city is something it isn't. Is the IOC going to go for it? Particularly if it's up against some charming European destination, or an overdue Asian city (if the continent is denied again)?