U.S. Winter Bid for 2022 or 2026

AF: I have no idea what you actually think, but I can explain the meaning of the words you post: You don't want the USOC to put forth a WOC bid until they win a SOC bid. Adding crap about being open to the possibility of a WOC bid if <a bunch of impossible stuff happens> doesn't change that at all. It just makes your posts weaselly. If you honestly don't understand that, we can give you some basic reading and writing help.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It came across as arrogant (maybe that's far too strong a word actually) because it's making an assumption that the vote was about a message to America, when quite frankly it wasn't. It's viewing the

The thing that surprises me the most in this thread is that there are so many people who are unwilling to just be patient. Is it really that hard to wait and put forward a top-drawer American bid when

And do u really think they will turn down the whatever $.5 million deposit for over a year + all the interest it can add to its coffers, at the outset--just to put US supporters' mind at rest? And wh

AF: I have no idea what you actually think, but I can explain the meaning of the words you post: You don't want the USOC to put forth a WOC bid until they win a SOC bid. Adding crap about being open to the possibility of a WOC bid if <a bunch of impossible stuff happens> doesn't change that at all. It just makes your posts weaselly. If you honestly don't understand that, we can give you some basic reading and writing help.

In contrast to Quaker, your tone is rude.

Yes, I'd like to see the USOC win a SOG bid before returning to OWG bidding. HOWEVER, I never said that they should pursue a SOG at any cost, however long it takes, irrespective of the quality of the OWG hopefuls. Currently the OWG candidates are lackluster and there is a decent possibility that a quality SOG candidate will emerge. So for the time being anyway, nothing has changed.

I'm not being weaselly. You're being obtuse.

Just read my last post and you'll see how little sense yours makes as a response.

HOWEVER, I never said that they should pursue a SOG at any cost, however long it takes, irrespective of the quality of the OWG hopefuls.

Nor did anyone say you did. Think about that for a while. Maybe you'll start to get some insight into why you think so many people are arguing with you.

No, Zeke. Read Quaker's post:

Athens ... you have said before that a Winter bid should be sidelined indefinitely while the USOC pursues a Summer bid ... don't make it seem like the rest of us are complete idiots for thinking something that wasn't said. This was said.

I read his post. And I repeat, "Nor did anyone say you did. Think about that for a while. Maybe you'll start to get some insight into why you think so many people are arguing with you."

It's as if you don't speak English. This is pointless. YOU re-read and see if you can match identical words.

Because there is a conflict about which us cities must be candidates for olympics i propose that USA must awarded every olympics from 2024 until 2032 so as every city to be satisfied.

2024:New York

2026:Denver

2028:Chicago

2030:SLC

2032:Dallas

but maybe for athensfan this isnt enough also......

It's as if you don't speak English. This is pointless. YOU re-read and see if you can match identical words.

What he said:

a Winter bid should be sidelined indefinitely while the USOC pursues a Summer bid

What you said he said:

I never said that they should pursue a SOG at any cost, however long it takes, irrespective of the quality of the OWG hopefuls.

Not really Olympic news, but definitely something worth noting involving 1 of our potential bid cities..

Denver mayor, Broncos pursuing Super Bowl bid for 2018, 2019 or 2020

He's a little nutso. Comparing Denver temps to Indianapolis? I mean Indianapolis hosted their Super Bowl indoors at the Lucas Arena. This Denver mayor doesn't think very strategically, does he?

He's a little nutso. Comparing Denver temps to Indianapolis? I mean Indianapolis hosted their Super Bowl indoors at the Lucas Arena. This Denver mayor doesn't think very strategically, does he?

Everyone is looking at New York/New Jersey and thinking the floodgates are now open for cold weather cities to hold outdoor Super Bowls. I have my reservations about that one going forward.

What he said:

a Winter bid should be sidelined indefinitely while the USOC pursues a Summer bid

What you said he said:

I never said that they should pursue a SOG at any cost, however long it takes, irrespective of the quality of the OWG hopefuls.

Yeah. Look that over a few times.

Because there is a conflict about which us cities must be candidates for olympics i propose that USA must awarded every olympics from 2024 until 2032 so as every city to be satisfied.

2024:New York

2026:Denver

2028:Chicago

2030:SLC

2032:Dallas

but maybe for athensfan this isnt enough also......

George, you clearly aren't reading this thread or my posts.

The USA's problem is not a surplus of cities wanting to bid.

I don't want or expect frequent American Games. I'd like to see. The US host ONE edition of the Summer Games in either 2024, 28 or 32. I think it's reasonable to expect the US to wait 30+ years or so between hosting.

Just because I'd like to see ONE Summer Olympics in the US sometime in the next 20 years does not make me the crazed flag-waving militant you say I am.

Read George. Because what you're writing bears no resemblance to what I think.

Salt Lake City set to announce Monday whether they will bid again for Winter Olympics

December 2 - Utah Governor Gary Herbert and Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker are due to announce tomorrow whether they plan to bid again for the Winter Olympics and Paralympics.

An Exploratory Committee had been set-up by Herbert in February to consider the possibility of Salt Lake City trying to host the Games again following the success of 2002.

Their findings were released to Herbert and Becker in October, with the recommendation that Salt Lake City should try to launch a campaign for the 2026 Winter Olympics and Paralympics.

It is estimated the 2002 Games brought $4.8 billion (£2.9 billion/€3.7 billion) into Utah's economy and an additional $1 billion (£624 million/€770 million) to Olympic venues in the decade that has followed the Games.

But even if Herbert and Becker give the go-ahead to a bid they must first convince the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) to back it.

A five-person bid working group set up by the USOC in August is currently investigating whether America should put itself forward for the 2024 Summer Games or 2026 Winter Games.

It is due to reveal its findings at their quarterly meeting later this month but it is widely expected that they will prioritise bidding for the 2024 Summer Olympics over the Winter Games.

Another potential hurdle to a successul bid from the Salt Lake City is that its successful bid for 2002 was marred by the biggest corruption scandal in the Olympics history.

Salt Lake City officials gave more $1 million (£620,000/€770,000) in favours and gifts to ensure that their fifth bid to host the Games was successful.

Among the things they offered were cash, college tuition, medical-care payments, jobs, lodging, beds and bedding, bathroom fixtures, Indian rugs, draperies, doorknobs, dogs, leather boots and belts, perfume, Nintendo games, Lego toys, shotguns, a violin, and trips to ski resorts, a holiday in Las Vegas, and a Super Bowl in Miami.

When the scandal was uncovered, in 1998, it led to 10 IOC members being expelled or having to resign and a major change in how the bid process was operated.

Interesting that the rumor is that the USOC is leaning towards 2024. That is certainly at odds with many posters on these boards who claim no qualified cities want the 2024 Games. We'll have to wait for the final verdict though....

This article is also a reminder that 2002 is not SLC's only baggage. The shame of the bribery scandal is still a factor.

Intersting tone of the article.. first off, as we know, the USOC hasn't announced whether or not they will be looking at cities for 2026. So it seems a little pointless for Salt Lake to announce their bidding intentions. Let alone the line of "But even if Herbert and Becker give the go-ahead to a bid they must first convince the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) to back it." I don't know if that's getting lost in translation, but yea, that's kind of important to get your NOC to back your bid. It tends to help unless your name is Las Vegas. As for 2024..

Interesting that the rumor is that the USOC is leaning towards 2024. That is certainly at odds with many posters on these boards who claim no qualified cities want the 2024 Games. We'll have to wait for the final verdict though....

This article is also a reminder that 2002 is not SLC's only baggage. The shame of the bribery scandal is still a factor.

Ugh.

Yes, it's definitely an interesting revelation that someone would come out and say the USOC is expected to prioritize 2024, not that it's the most surprising of revelations. I don't know I'd call that a reflection on the level of interest out there though. We've said several times before how there are these over-eager Winter candidates that like to keep talking themselves up, possibility just for the sake of talking themselves up. There are a lot more unknowns on the Summer side and maybe the USOC believes if they open up the floor for 2024 (to whatever process they use to determine their potential bid candidate), cities will start to emerge. Either way, let's not read too much about what may or may not be on the table for 2024.

Excuse me, Quaker, but for years other posters have been telling me 2024 is totally hopeless for the USA and that no decent cities want to bid.

Many posters have pushed the merits of a winter bid instead -- and they've pushed hard, claiming that three noisy, sub-par aspiring winter hosts far outweigh what they insist is a total lack of Summer interest.

Now we hear someone report that the rumor is that the USOC WILL go for 2024. The USOC wouldn't do that if there were zero credible options.

So spare me your "ugh".

Excuse me, Quaker, but for years other posters have been telling me 2024 is totally hopeless for the USA and that no decent cities want to bid.

Many posters have pushed the merits of a winter bid instead -- and they've pushed hard, claiming that three noisy, sub-par aspiring winter hosts far outweigh what they insist is a total lack of Summer interest.

Now we hear someone report that the rumor is that the USOC WILL go for 2024. The USOC wouldn't do that if there were zero credible options.

So spare me your "ugh".

Objection!.. assuming facts not in evidence. We don't know what their motivation is for that decision. You're the one who has long said that the USOC should prioritize summer over winter, largely irrespective of who the candidates are. My take on this is still that they'll make it known they're pursuing 2024 and hope that the right candidate emerges. Like you've said.. the USOC pursuing 2024 is hardly a guarantee they'll bid. More than anything, it's probably just a strategy to pursue that they hope will pan out. Obviously they have more information than we're privy to so there might be options out there we're not aware of. Still, I'm not yet making the assumption they know what their options are as opposed to opening the floor believing those options could emerge.

for years other posters have been telling me 2024 is totally hopeless for the USA and that no decent cities want to bid.

No, they haven't.

This. Please tell us which posters have called 2024 "totally hopeless." Yes, people here have said that it doesn't appear that any decent cities want to bid (I offered up some info on Dallas, but was immediately shot down saying they're no good and what does it matter because Durban is going to win anyway. On that note, I don't think baron qualifies as "many posters" because I don't know too many other posters have pushed the Winter agenda as hard as he has.

Utah announces bid for 2nd Winter Olympics

SALT LAKE CITY • Utah officials plan to make another bid to hold the Winter Olympics.

Gov. Gary Herbert and Salt Lake City Mayor Ralph Becker made the announcement Monday outside the University of Utah stadium, where ceremonies were held for the 2002 Winter Games.

A committee of advisers urged Herbert and Becker to make what could be a longshot bid for the 2026 Winter Games — other U.S. cities could argue it’s their turn. Salt Lake faces possible challenges from Denver and the Reno-Tahoe area.

Utah says it can capitalize on the infrastructure left in place from the 2002 Olympics. The Utah games were successful, but Salt Lake was tarnished by scandal.

Utah showered $1 million in cash, gifts and other favors on International Olympic Committee delegates in a scandal that rewrote the rule book for Olympic bids.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/55392381-77/utah-lake-salt-winter.html.csp

well, that's the Opening volley. Maybe, 3rd time's a charm. If it comes to pass, it would be the 3rd double-trouble Olympic hit for the US with LA and Lake Placid having hosted 2x --so this is Salt Lake...so that word "Lake" might have some karmic bearing for US Olympic hostings.

Edited by baron-pierreIV