U.S. Winter Bid for 2022 or 2026

Soaring

I'll give you credit for 1 thing.. that's a great find with that AT&T video. Definitely gives some perspective on the press set-up from 1980.

That said, the rest of your post shows how disconnected you are with reality. I hesitate to want to use the word 'dumbass', but I'm having trouble holding back at this point. Laptops and wireless network cards? That's your solution? To effectively run the press/media operations for an Olympics, you need hundreds of PC terminals, high speed broadband with enough bandwidth to handle hundreds of hours of video streaming and real-time data that didn't exist back in 1980. This is what it looked like for Vancouver..

The technology behind the Vancouver Olympic Games

Spot on. After working closely with the Center information by the 2011 Pan American Games, the proposition from Lord David is simple out of the reality. I don't know if he's still thinking by the 80s., but right now, it's close to impossible making this idea in the 21st. Century Olympic Games. Not only needs PC terminals, we also need a proper space for meetings, press conferences related by all the NOCs and maybe another especifications related to security and technology. Using a high school gymnasium is just laughable. Quaker is right, thinking the final solution is only wireless network cards and laptops for a Winter Olympic Games, this person needs a close call to reality.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I simply offered the idea of using wireless technologies as a proposal, if you wanted to avoid the use of too much cabling and so forth. Advances in networking technology is making such technology more viable and easier to use. You can still have your main servers and so forth temporarily setup like you would in any convention/exhibition space, as well as those used by the school.

After all, if this isn't viable, then you propose the site of the IBC and turn it into an MMC. Simple. The idea of using the high school is mostly for sentimental, ambience and slight cost effective reasons.

That said, the rest of your post shows how disconnected you are with reality. I hesitate to want to use the word 'dumbass', but I'm having trouble holding back at this point. Laptops and wireless network cards? That's your solution?

That's just it.. there is zero chance that Lake Placid could possibly offer an enticing and passable plan within the scope of reality, unless they find a few billion dollars they want to piss away for a bunch of temporary facilities. And what you're offering is anything but passable and just about the opposite of enticing. You're the only one that seems to be attracted to a Lake Placid games. Well, not the only one. Which brings me to..

See, here's the problem with Mr. and Mrs. venue plan.. once again, you guys conveniently forget that this is a competition. A Lake Placid venue plan needs to get stacked up against the competition. Remember.. they had no competition for 1980 once Vancouver-Garibaldi dropped out of the running. They won those Olympics by default. So even if we had a 1984 situation where the IOC essentially told the USOC to pick a city for them, there's other better choices out there. Yes, even Reno-Tahoe.

Beyond all that, where do you have any evidence that the IOC is going to be look at smaller communities instead of looking at bigger cities with higher distances? If they had to choose between Lake Placid and the Stockholm-Are bid we're all worked up about, that's not even a contest there. .

You know, I was going to pick apart your venue plan for Lake Placid, but it's simpler just to call the whole thing a joke. If you want to give us your pipe dream of a venue plan for a location with no chance in reality of hosting an Olympics, go right ahead. But I don't know if there is a sentiment strong enough for how ridiculous it is that this could ever actually work in practice. Takes a little more than a venue plan to land an Olympics.

Rotflmfao!! :lol:

I hate to be nitpicky in a thread where reality is optional, but the full name of the future press center of the 2026 winter games is Lake Placid Middle/High School. Yes, it's such a small town that the middle school and high school are in the same building. Graduating class of 61 this year.

I simply offered the idea of using wireless technologies as a proposal, if you wanted to avoid the use of too much cabling and so forth. Advances in networking technology is making such technology more viable and easier to use. You can still have your main servers and so forth temporarily setup like you would in any convention/exhibition space, as well as those used by the school.

After all, if this isn't viable, then you propose the site of the IBC and turn it into an MMC. Simple. The idea of using the high school is mostly for sentimental, ambience and slight cost effective reasons.

It's not viable. That's how simple it is. The IOC doesn't strike me as sentimental. And you're talking about inviting the world's press and broadcasters to cover the Olympics. That's not something you want to spare money on. Especially for those who are paying for the privilege to be there. They deserve better than to their jobs out of a hastily set-up high school. The IOC isn't going to accept this if another city can offer better. And right now, there's no less than 4 or 5 cities here in the United States alone willing to do just that.

Jesus, must you suck the effing fun out of everything?

First off, my name isn't Jesus, but thanks anyway. :lol:

So were you having effing fun reading about a fantasy venue plan for a future Lake Placid Olympics? I said it upthread.. I have no problem with anyone trying to present a venue plan for a city. Or as you yourself have put it, a "speculation thread about potential venues" I know there are parts of the forum that make a competition out of that. But it would be nice for there to be a line between fantasy and reality. If this thread is supposed to be at least semi-serious discussion about U.S. Winter Olympic bids, forgive me if I shoot down a cockamamie idea that someone is trying to present as "no, this could really work" and tell that person (or in this case, these people) that he's out of his effing mind. It's almost funny because I've heard baron talk about how some posters here have turned him into the persona he has become on this site and now I'm starting to see why because the same thing is slowly happening to me! Embarrassed as I am by that, if someone is going to argue something as absurd as a Lake Placid venue plan (and argue that it could really work), I just can't help myself sometimes to jump into that argument.

First off, my name isn't Jesus, but thanks anyway. :lol:

So were you having effing fun reading about a fantasy venue plan for a future Lake Placid Olympics?

I know that I've been having "effing fun" reading the Lake Flacid exchanges! Lmfao! :lol:

It's almost funny because I've heard baron talk about how some posters here have turned him into the persona he has become on this site and now I'm starting to see why because the same thing is slowly happening to me! Embarrassed as I am by that, if someone is going to argue something as absurd as a Lake Placid venue plan (and argue that it could really work), I just can't help myself sometimes to jump into that argument.

Some people on this site have the tendency to bring out the best (or not so best) in us sometimes, don't they! :lol:

I actually brought that up a while back. But I was countered that the distance between Albany & Lake Placid was too far. It might be a bit of a trek (about 2-1/2 to 3hrs, 150 miles away), but certainly nothing compared to Stockholm/Are, for example.

I actually brought that up a while back. But I was countered that the distance between Albany & Lake Placid was too far. It might be a bit of a trek (about 2-1/2 to 3hrs, 150 miles away), but certainly nothing compared to Stockholm/Are, for example.

That's too far, I think. A shame for LP, as it might have made a third Games there feasible, but without that solid population centre as an anchor I can't see it happening. Anymore news on their murmurs of a 2020 YWOG bid? That would be perfect for them.

I don't think there's been any rumblings lately for a youth bid from them. I don't pay attention to the youth games anyway. Plus, the USOC most likely is focusing all their attention right now on a possible 2024 Olympic bid, so I doubt a youth games is even on their radar. And if 2024 doesn't pan out, they'll then probably turn to a 2026 Winter Olympic bid instead.

See, here's the problem with Mr. and Mrs. venue plan.. once again, you guys conveniently forget that this is a competition. A Lake Placid venue plan needs to get stacked up against the competition. You like Lake Placid because it already has a ski jump and a sliding track? In case you hadn't noticed, there's already a city in the United States that has both of those and they just happen to be interested in hosting another Olympics, something the Lake Placid region wisely is not considering. Even if we're talking hypothetical here, there is no venue plan that Lake Placid could come up that's ever going to be the one that will stand out against the competition. Remember.. they had no competition for 1980 once Vancouver-Garibaldi dropped out of the running. They won those Olympics by default. So even if we had a 1984 situation where the IOC essentially told the USOC to pick a city for them, there's other better choices out there. Yes, even Reno-Tahoe.

Beyond all that, where do you have any evidence that the IOC is going to be look at smaller communities instead of looking at bigger cities with higher distances? If they had to choose between Lake Placid and the Stockholm-Are bid we're all worked up about, that's not even a contest there. They'll be willing to make some sacrifices to find a home for the Olympics, but until they get to the point where they can't get what they want (and it hasn't happened yet, especially before we know the status of 2022), we have no reason to believe they're headed in that direction.

You know, I was going to pick apart your venue plan for Lake Placid, but it's simpler just to call the whole thing a joke. If you want to give us your pipe dream of a venue plan for a location with no chance in reality of hosting an Olympics, go right ahead. But I don't know if there is a sentiment strong enough for how ridiculous it is that this could ever actually work in practice. Takes a little more than a venue plan to land an Olympics. Eventually, Reno is going to have a venue plan. Lake Placid (who again, is wisely not pursuing another Olympics because they know it'll never happen) does not have that. Only in your mind is there a Lake Placid venue plan. And the plan you have is just awful. That you took the time to think that up means that you have way too much time on your hands.

The excessive level of your personal insufferable arrogance makes me wonder if the only space you can fit in is an arena where there is enough room for you and your ego.

1. I am well aware it is a competition ... but as 2022 is likely to be Europe, that means 2026 is likely to be North America and as the entire decision will not be until 2019 there is plenty of time for contenders to declare. After all we heard nothing of Anchorage when 2022 was in play yet all of a sudden 2026 is being considered.

2. Of course in your expert wisdom, you clearly know more than the Swiss Olympic Committee who rejected large cities like Geneva and Bern in favour of St Moritz-Davos ... pray provide your superior expert opinion as to why they might do that???? ... and don't hide behind the referendum decision as the 'No' outcome has occurred whether the nomination has been big or small

3. Are yes the venue plan .... in your expert wisdom please tell us why Sion2006 with venues across the entire Valais valley from Martigny to the Goms using locations at such small places as Visp and Sierre was considered the favourite by many people clearly not as expert as you when the decision to go with Turin was felt to be a political decision???? ... or that the Winter Games regarded as one of the best ever in Lillehammer was a small town games using a multitude of local settlements such as Hamar and Gjorvik???

4. Oh and in your expert opinion why would the IOC wish to go back to a scandal ridden games with an existing ski jump and bobsleigh run that besmirched the reputation of the games when they could choose a location which has held previously memorable games in 1932 and 1980??

My venue suggestions a joke ... the ones which provide a post games legacy used by school, colleges and local residents more than fulfilling the legacy requirements the IOC loves.

The only joke here is YOU

That's too far, I think. A shame for LP, as it might have made a third Games there feasible, but without that solid population centre as an anchor I can't see it happening. Anymore news on their murmurs of a 2020 YWOG bid? That would be perfect for them.

The counties surrounding Essex County have a total population according to the 2010 census of approximately 500,000 people. The area is about 110miles from downtown Montreal with a metro population of 3.8million ..... that's about the distance between Denver and Beaver Creek and not much further than Munich to Garmsich

The excessive level of your personal insufferable arrogance makes me wonder if the only space you can fit in is an arena where there is enough room for you and your ego.

1. I am well aware it is a competition ... but as 2022 is likely to be Europe, that means 2026 is likely to be North America and as the entire decision will not be until 2019 there is plenty of time for contenders to declare. After all we heard nothing of Anchorage when 2022 was in play yet all of a sudden 2026 is being considered.

I'm not expecting Lake Placid to jump into the race. Not when they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning. Even if the United States got the 2026 Olympics handed to them on a silver platter, there's 4 other cities for Lake Placid to contend with if they decided to jump into the race. There's not going to be a venue plan they can present that's going to make them stand out over the other contenders. As such, I think Peter Rabbit would be wise to stay out of Mr. McGregor's garden.

2. Of course in your expert wisdom, you clearly know more than the Swiss Olympic Committee who rejected large cities like Geneva and Bern in favour of St Moritz-Davos ... pray provide your superior expert opinion as to why they might do that???? ... and don't hide behind the referendum decision as the 'No' outcome has occurred whether the nomination has been big or small

I don't claim to be an expect on Switzerland or their Olympic choices, but I don't see how that has anything to do with this. I merely brought up Stockholm-Are since you were very quick to jump in and say they have zero chance. I'm saying that about Lake Placid, regardless of what any other country out there is offering.

3. Are yes the venue plan .... in your expert wisdom please tell us why Sion2006 with venues across the entire Valais valley from Martigny to the Goms using locations at such small places as Visp and Sierre was considered the favourite by many people clearly not as expert as you when the decision to go with Turin was felt to be a political decision???? ... or that the Winter Games regarded as one of the best ever in Lillehammer was a small town games using a multitude of local settlements such as Hamar and Gjorvik???

Is that your justification for Lake Placid? What Sion did? How'd that work out for them? No question that was politically motivated, so we really can't knock them on that basis. Then again, we do have Albertville, an Olympics highly criticized for being too spread out. Regardless of what Sion offered, what makes you think that wouldn't be an issue with Lake Placid, especially with the plan you offered where venues are spread all over the place? And Lillehammer.. no women's hockey tournament, no curling, no snowboarding. A wonderful Olympics for sure, but there's a reason it has since been the last of its kind. Either way, Lillehammer and Sion are much bigger than Lake Placid.

4. Oh and in your expert opinion why would the IOC wish to go back to a scandal ridden games with an existing ski jump and bobsleigh run that besmirched the reputation of the games when they could choose a location which has held previously memorable games in 1932 and 1980??

My venue suggestions a joke ... the ones which provide a post games legacy used by school, colleges and local residents more than fulfilling the legacy requirements the IOC loves.

Now who is getting on his high horse here. The Salt Lake GAMES were not marred by a scandal. The bid process and the years that followed were where they dealt with scandal. The Games themselves (which I'm happy to say I attended) went off very successfully. And yes, the 1980 Olympics were memorable.. I'm sure the IOC would remember the transportation and logistical problems that plagued those Olympics and those issues would only be magnified at an Olympics with more athletes, more spectators, more press, and the way you laid it out, an Olympics with venues spread out all over the region. And that you brought up the distance between Denver and Beaver Creek.. that's a major interstate running through Colorado, not the back roads of upstate New York.

A legacy is no good if the plan behind it in the first place is no good in the first place. And yes, your venue suggestions are a joke. You can't take the least acceptable qualities of another bid and use that as a baseline for what would work elsewhere. You want a town the size of Lake Placid and the surrounding region to invest in hosting a 21st century-sized Olympics because they have a ski jump hill and a sliding track, but your plan is full of temporary venues and the ones that aren't are 50+ miles away. Maybe that should tell you something as to just how viable a Lake Placid bid would be.

I'm not expecting Lake Placid to jump into the race. Not when they don't have a snowball's chance in hell of winning. Even if the United States got the 2026 Olympics handed to them on a silver platter, there's 4 other cities for Lake Placid to contend with if they decided to jump into the race. There's not going to be a venue plan they can present that's going to make them stand out over the other contenders. As such, I think Peter Rabbit would be wise to stay out of Mr. McGregor's garden.

I don't claim to be an expect on Switzerland or their Olympic choices, but I don't see how that has anything to do with this. I merely brought up Stockholm-Are since you were very quick to jump in and say they have zero chance. I'm saying that about Lake Placid, regardless of what any other country out there is offering.

Is that your justification for Lake Placid? What Sion did? How'd that work out for them? No question that was politically motivated, so we really can't knock them on that basis. Then again, we do have Albertville, an Olympics highly criticized for being too spread out. Regardless of what Sion offered, what makes you think that wouldn't be an issue with Lake Placid, especially with the plan you offered where venues are spread all over the place? And Lillehammer.. no women's hockey tournament, no curling, no snowboarding. A wonderful Olympics for sure, but there's a reason it has since been the last of its kind. Either way, Lillehammer and Sion are much bigger than Lake Placid.

Now who is getting on his high horse here. The Salt Lake GAMES were not marred by a scandal. The bid process and the years that followed were where they dealt with scandal. The Games themselves (which I'm happy to say I attended) went off very successfully. And yes, the 1980 Olympics were memorable.. I'm sure the IOC would remember the transportation and logistical problems that plagued those Olympics and those issues would only be magnified at an Olympics with more athletes, more spectators, more press, and the way you laid it out, an Olympics with venues spread out all over the region. And that you brought up the distance between Denver and Beaver Creek.. that's a major interstate running through Colorado, not the back roads of upstate New York.

A legacy is no good if the plan behind it in the first place is no good in the first place. And yes, your venue suggestions are a joke. You can't take the least acceptable qualities of another bid and use that as a baseline for what would work elsewhere. You want a town the size of Lake Placid and the surrounding region to invest in hosting a 21st century-sized Olympics because they have a ski jump hill and a sliding track, but your plan is full of temporary venues and the ones that aren't are 50+ miles away. Maybe that should tell you something as to just how viable a Lake Placid bid would be.

1. In your opinion - Reno who aren't really proposing any permanent facilities is supposed to be better in your mind

2. The IOC are on record that the distance between Stockholm and Are is massively too far. It is an absolute, a fact. The venues proposed for a hypothetical Lake Placid bid clearly fall within the IOCs distance requirements

3. Essex County and surrounding counties have a population of 500,000. There is then a population 4x the size of Oslo twice as close. Clearly a tiny population.

4. And with a bigger games spread out more, would have an alleviating effect on all of the congestion. Not everyone would go to Lake Placid. Interstate87 from the Canadian border must be a mud track

5. Full of temporary venues - you've got a weird definition of FULL????? Here is the venue plan:

IceHockey1: Clarkson (10,000 seats - reduced post games) 80miles NW of Lake Placid

IceHockey2: Potsdam (6,000 seats) .... 69miles NW

Figure Skating: Lake Placid (12,000 seats - an expanded Olympic Centre)

Speed Skating: Plattsburgh (8,000 seats) ..... 52miles NE

Curling: Lake Placid (3,000seats relocated to Oswego post games)

Ceremonies: Lake Placid (40,000 seats - temporary facility)

Sliding Events: Mt Van Hoevenberg

Ski Jumping: Intervales Ski Hill

Men's Downhill: Whiteface

Women's Downhill: Gore Mountain (773m vertical) .... 80miles S

Media Centre: Lake Placid (future proofed for community usage post games)

Count the temporary venues .....1

One venue of a smaller size than Sochi and Pyeonchang to be relocated. Other venues to be adapted post games as every other bid in the world proposes to do.

Apparently not good enough for the USA, despite Reno proposing temporary venues.

1. In your opinion - Reno who aren't really proposing any permanent facilities is supposed to be better in your mind

You're darn right I think they're better. They have a stadium they could use for the ceremonies that, not unlike Rice-Eccles in Salt Lake, would leave a lasting legacy. They have 2 potentially usable indoor arenas. They have a division 1 university that actually has a need for a 10,000+ seat arena. And nearby, you have Lake Tahoe which is used to handling a lot of tourist traffic. If you're part of the "anywhere but Reno" crowd, fine. But your Lake Placid plan is laughable at best compared to what a city like Reno could offer.

3. Essex County and surrounding counties have a population of 500,000. There is then a population 4x the size of Oslo twice as close. Clearly a tiny population.

4. And with a bigger games spread out more, would have an alleviating effect on all of the congestion. Not everyone would go to Lake Placid. Interstate87 from the Canadian border must be a mud track

How wide of a net do you want to cast to make your population argument work? You want them to fly to Montreal and drive from Canada? As I understand it, there's a fairly good rail line that can get you from Oslo to Lillehammer. The nearest Amtrak stop to Lake Placid is 40 miles away. So how exactly do you expect people to move around? You put a 12,000 seat arena in Lake Placid, that's nearly 3 times the population of that town alone coming and going each day, not including broadcasters and press. That was a major problem in 1980. What provisions make it better this time around if you've still got a lot of venues in and around Lake Placid?

And if you're going to talk about the population in and around Oslo, tell it to the 100,000 spectators that showed up for the men's cross country relay during that Olympics, most of whom probably had an easier time getting to Lillehammer than to Lake Placid.

Apparently not good enough for the USA, despite Reno proposing temporary venues.

There you go, now you're catching on! Tell me.. what makes Lake Placid's venue plan so much better than Reno's? What makes Lake Placid a more viable Olympic host than Reno? And try to do it without saying how ugly or tacky Reno is because that's not at play here.

You're darn right I think they're better. They have a stadium they could use for the ceremonies that, not unlike Rice-Eccles in Salt Lake, would leave a lasting legacy. They have 2 potentially usable indoor arenas. They have a division 1 university that actually has a need for a 10,000+ seat arena. And nearby, you have Lake Tahoe which is used to handling a lot of tourist traffic. If you're part of the "anywhere but Reno" crowd, fine. But your Lake Placid plan is laughable at best compared to what a city like Reno could offer.

How wide of a net do you want to cast to make your population argument work? You want them to fly to Montreal and drive from Canada? As I understand it, there's a fairly good rail line that can get you from Oslo to Lillehammer. The nearest Amtrak stop to Lake Placid is 40 miles away. So how exactly do you expect people to move around? You put a 12,000 seat arena in Lake Placid, that's nearly 3 times the population of that town alone coming and going each day, not including broadcasters and press. That was a major problem in 1980. What provisions make it better this time around if you've still got a lot of venues in and around Lake Placid?

And if you're going to talk about the population in and around Oslo, tell it to the 100,000 spectators that showed up for the men's cross country relay during that Olympics, most of whom probably had an easier time getting to Lillehammer than to Lake Placid.

There you go, now you're catching on! Tell me.. what makes Lake Placid's venue plan so much better than Reno's? What makes Lake Placid a more viable Olympic host than Reno? And try to do it without saying how ugly or tacky Reno is because that's not at play here.

So all of the Olympics both summer and winter proposing or holding the ceremonies in temporary facilities are wrong then? ... of course parts of the facilities are reused. Why would Nevada need a need arena ... oh and infamous support Reno has for winter sports - remind us how long they've been procrastinating about an indoor arena for a ECHL team?? Can't imagine the cost of a new bob run and ski jumping facility will impress the locals if they cannot even get an indoor arena funded

Are you not capable of reading - surrounding counties. In English that means the neighbouring counties - North, South, East, West. As you clearly think I am lying, here are the exact figures

Essex County (Lake Placid) - (2010) 39,370 and moving clockwise

Clinton County (2010) 82,128

Chittenden County (2010) 156,545

Addison County (2010) 36,821

Washington County (2010) 63,216

Warren County (2010) 65,707

Hamilton County (2010) 4,836

Franklin County (2010) 10,955

St Lawrence County (2010) 111,944

Total (2010) 571,522

Does every spectator attend every single event?? The answer would be no, which therefore allows hockey fans to go to the West for example never troubling the central Lake Placid area. Back in 1994 the Lillehammer line wasn't as good as you make out. The nearest Amtrak station at 34miles already has a permanent overland connection into the Lake Placid area with the Amtrak Thruway service

and I have no doubt that both Plattsburgh and maybe even Adirondack airports can handle increased traffic for the two week period

And what does Lake Placid offer over Reno .... East Coast, Great Olympic background and overhaul interest in indoor and outdoor winter sports, existing facilities of Olympic standard which are in continuing use.

You simply reinforce the saying

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience"

So all of the Olympics both summer and winter proposing or holding the ceremonies in temporary facilities are wrong then? ... of course parts of the facilities are reused. Why would Nevada need a need arena ... oh and infamous support Reno has for winter sports - remind us how long they've been procrastinating about an indoor arena for a ECHL team?? Can't imagine the cost of a new bob run and ski jumping facility will impress the locals if they cannot even get an indoor arena funded

Are you not capable of reading - surrounding counties. In English that means the neighbouring counties - North, South, East, West. As you clearly think I am lying, here are the exact figures

Total (2010) 571,522

Does every spectator attend every single event?? The answer would be no, which therefore allows hockey fans to go to the West for example never troubling the central Lake Placid area. Back in 1994 the Lillehammer line wasn't as good as you make out. The nearest Amtrak station at 34miles already has a permanent overland connection into the Lake Placid area with the Amtrak Thruway service

and I have no doubt that both Plattsburgh and maybe even Adirondack airports can handle increased traffic for the two week period

And what does Lake Placid offer over Reno .... East Coast, Great Olympic background and overhaul interest in indoor and outdoor winter sports, existing facilities of Olympic standard which are in continuing use.

You simply reinforce the saying

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience"

Is that what you're doing here.. trying to beat me with your experience?

But no, I must be the idiot. I mean, how else could I be so naive that I won't accept a venue plan for a Lake Placid Olympics.

There's nothing wrong with a temporary facility for the ceremonies. Albertville offered that. But why is that preferrable here? You keep talking about legacy.. what exactly does building a 40,000 seat stadium/arena for a community that has no need for it whatsoever give you that a city as opposed to a city with an existing stadium that could be renovated/expanded and would be there for years to come? And then you ask why would Nevada need a new arena? As if Lake Placid and towns up to 80 miles away are more in need of that? At least Reno can justify the expense of an Olympics by saying it will give the city something it could use rather than Lake Placid where you keep hiding behind the ski jump and sliding track excuse as if they have money to spend on facilities they don't need and have little use for. That's just a complete logic fail right there that I can't wrap my head around how that makes any sense to you.

And no, I don't think you're lying about the population. I live in New York state. Pretty sure I've spent more time in the Adirondacks than you have, albeit during the summer. That you include Chittenden Country.. why not involve Burlington in this? If your plan stretches over as wide an area as you have it, someone else out there (be it Reno or whoever else) is going to come up with a more compact plan. And they'll probably be able to handle the logistics a lot better than Lake Placid, something they famously did not do so well last time around. Yet you want to exacerbate the problem by spreading out the venues. And you think I'm the idiot for bringing up these logistical issues as if these things will handle themselves.

Oh wait, there's your solution.. Amtrak Thruway. Yea, let's put everyone on buses 34 miles from Lake Placid, make them travel another 50 miles to get to their venue, have to travel again to get to their hotel (assuming they don't want to go to another event). Yea, that's how you want to market your Olympics.. if you're a hockey fan, you don't have to "trouble" Lake Placid. Good luck selling ticket packages to that. Better hope that most people don't want to go to more than 1 event. Pretty sure though that journalists and other officials might not have that luxury.

So let's see, what does Lake Placid offer.. some positive history no question, yes an outdoor sporting culture, a couple of pre-existing venues in a fairly tiny town, and a sliding track (not sure East coast means much of anything). Reno offers a much more sizable city population, a popular ski resort in a region (which, in case you forgot, has hosted an Olympics of their own), an existing stadium, a convention center to handle press and broadcasters, 2 indoor arenas that could probably be used as venues, an airport actually within the city limits, a university to support the games (not a high school/middle school with a total enrollment of about 400 students). There's a lot more to gain by putting an Olympics there. Less we forget what the 1960 Winter Games did for that region.

Perhaps there's a reason Lake Placid is looking at the Youth Olympics and not trying to land the big one again. Call the Reno-Tahoe folks a bunch of crazy dreamers if you want, but even they sound more enticing (at least to a bunch of IOC voters who want bigger and better) than a Lake Placid venue plan. Do you honestly think that's going to fly, competition against other cities notwithstanding?

To make some attempt to get this thread a little back on track and since the topic of discussion is Lake Placid..

An interview from last July with the head of the Olympic Regional Development Authority in Lake Placid... Will the Olympics return to Lake Placid?

And some more food for thought on the subject of Lake Placid..

http://blog.pressrepublican.com/archive/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=543:games_fell_to_lake_placid_by_default&catid=34:news-articles&Itemid=64

So let's see, what does Lake Placid offer.. some positive history no question, yes an outdoor sporting culture, a couple of pre-existing venues in a fairly tiny town, and a sliding track (not sure East coast means much of anything). Reno offers a much more sizable city population, a popular ski resort in a region (which, in case you forgot, has hosted an Olympics of their own), an existing stadium, a convention center to handle press and broadcasters, 2 indoor arenas that could probably be used as venues, an airport actually within the city limits, a university to support the games (not a high school/middle school with a total enrollment of about 400 students). There's a lot more to gain by putting an Olympics there. Less we forget what the 1960 Winter Games did for that region.

Perhaps there's a reason Lake Placid is looking at the Youth Olympics and not trying to land the big one again. Call the Reno-Tahoe folks a bunch of crazy dreamers if you want, but even they sound more enticing (at least to a bunch of IOC voters who want bigger and better) than a Lake Placid venue plan. Do you honestly think that's going to fly, competition against other cities notwithstanding?

Ah yes, these existing Reno venues

Pray tell, which Indoor winter sport could the Lawlor hold considering this is the seating plan

lawloreventcenter_concert-2453.gif

Midget Hockey??

and as for the Reno Events Center, it is so suited to indoor ice events, that the proposed Reno ECHL team has been dormant since 1998.

Way to go Reno

Ah yes, these existing Reno venues

Midget Hockey??

and as for the Reno Events Center, it is so suited to indoor ice events, that the proposed Reno ECHL team has been dormant since 1998.

Way to go Reno

Don't worry, I've already eliminated Lawlor from consideration. Well aware they couldn't host any events without a major reconstruction. And yes, Reno is without an ECHL team. But please, tell me about all the teams that call Lake Placid home. At least Reno can play to the fact that an arena there would get used on a regular basis.

See, the thing with your Lake Placid plan.. the allure of those 1980 Olympics were that they were held in a cozy mountain town, really the last of its kind. Now you're envisioning another Olympics there, but it would be the complete antithesis of what they had last time... people and venues spread out all of the place. All you'd wind up with is Albertville-like criticisms that the games are too spread out. And that's without addressing all sorts of logistical concerns which pretty much make Lake Placid a non-starter in the first place.

Total (2010) 571,522

571,522 in a group of counties with a combined land area substantially larger than New Jersey, which manages to fit in 15x the population. This is a very sparsely populated area. And the most populous "neighboring" county is separated by a major natural barrier.

Plattsburgh and Adirondack are tiny tiny airports with barely any passenger service.

571,522 in a group of counties with a combined land area substantially larger than New Jersey, which manages to fit in 15x the population. This is a very sparsely populated area. And the most populous "neighboring" county is separated by a major natural barrier.

Plattsburgh and Adirondack are tiny tiny airports with barely any passenger service.

I think you'll find all mountainous areas tend to be 'sparsely populated' compared to urban areas.

It's not been a problem for the Swiss for about say a 1,000 years, and Lake Champlain has a long existing passenger service. As Plattsburgh has already started to receive passenger service, in 14years time this could well have extendd

Archived