U.S. Winter Bid for 2022 or 2026

Soaring

Unless the US can get its act together (and I'm not sure we can) the IOC faces some tough choices if they want to get back in the Western Hemishpere for a WOG anytime soon.

- Vancouver Again (too soon?)

- Calgary Again (I don't think anyone is anxious to return to Calgary)

- Something hokey like a platform at the top of LeMassif or a hole at the bottom

- Accept the fact that 770 is almost 800 and change the darn rule

Oh, or go to Chile in July.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unless the US can get its act together (and I'm not sure we can) the IOC faces some tough choices if they want to get back in the Western Hemishpere for a WOG anytime soon.

- Something hokey like a platform at the top of LeMassif or a hole at the bottom

It is likely they would simply go back to Europe and have back to back games

At some point the WOG will return to the U.S. If there's another disaster in the 2024 election, I could see the USOC changing course and pursuing a bid for 2026. The three candidates that angled for 2022 all had serious flaws. Reno has logistical issues while Salt Lake City and Denver had historical issues; Denver being old history while Salt Lake City had recent history. Anchorange is intriguing but as for reasons alread brought up makes it too difficult. I'm going to throw out two other cities that might be options: Seattle and Albuquerque.

Seattle recently indicated interest to the USOC about a Summer Olympics. The USOC should respons forget about it but consider a Winter Olympics instead. Much of the infrastructure is already in place. Crystal Mountain, which hosted some World Cup alpine races in 1972 and is about to under a major re-development, has the required vertical drop for the alpine events and is only about 70 miles from the Seattle-Tacoma area. The University of Washington could be the Olympic Village with the recently rebuilt Husky Stadium being used for the ceremonies. I'd prefer Husky Stadium over CenturyLink Stadium because it offers a magnificent view of both Mount Rainier and Puget Sound and is on the UW campus. Seattle is likely to get a new downtown arena while a WOG could be a catalyst for getting an on-campus arena for Seattle University. The Key Arena will likely be demolished in the near future not to mention it's an awful venue for ice events as seating doesn't go completely around the rink which is the main reason the NHL never awarded the city an expansion team. The Tacoma Dome could also host ice events or even speed skating while the ShoWare Center in the suburb of Kent could be either a secondary hockey venue or curling venue. The biggest obstacle though is the IOC might view Seattle as Vancouver Part 2.

Albuquerque, New Mexico, if I'm not mistaken, would be the southernmost city to host if given the opportunity (I think it's farther south than Sochi). The resort at Taos could host the alpine events although the distance between Taos and Albuquerque is a bit large at 130 miles (210 km) though an extension of the Road Runner Commuter Express could help. Red River and Angel Fire could host other ski and snowboard events. As for the ice events, Albuquerque is long overdue for a new downtown arena though it's been stuck on the drawing board for years now. There's also Tingley Coliseum and the Santa Ana Star Center in nearby Rio Rancho.

Of course with any WOG bid, it seems like there's always that pesky problem of a bobsleigh/luge track and what to do with it afterwards.

What makes bobsleigh runs expensive (and not so much whether temporary tracks will be cheaper or not) is that each one is unique.

Look at these images for Sochi:

9016425660_1f49d3b064_c.jpg
9016414014_8922a56585_c.jpg

Those runs are NOT the same as Vancouver or the others. So, it's the Bobsleigh Federation that makes it expensive...wanting each track to be totally different from previous ones...and supposedly conforming to the lay of the land. But it's the engineers and track consultants of the IBSF who make a $$$ killing each time one of these is built. Since there are only a handful of these "track" designers (like golf course designers, a select "few" in the world), I am sure they are recommended by the IBSF, and can pretty much name their price. ANd you can bet those few favored firms have deep, dark connections to the IBSF.

If one Olympic host city just used the plans of the last one, then no R&D costs would have to be added. No new architects and engineering plans would have to be drawn up. Simply use the old one. But nooo! The IBSF must have a uniquely new and different track each time...and who cares if it costs more than $100 million? It's the OCOG paying for it; and it's part of hosting an Olympic Games. :wacko: (Of course, the rumored $110 million cost for the Sochi run is heavily padded with kickbacks and graft commissions for all the commisars involved.)

When Squaw Valley hosted; they reasoned out to the IOC (of the late 50s) that it was not practical to build a bobsleigh/luge track for 1960 when only like 8 nations would compete. The IOC listened and none was built. But succeeding OCOGs have spoiled these federations, so each host city outdoes the previous one in trying to please the IBSF. But if a new OCOG just says, "we only have $30 mil* to spend on a new track, and give us the plans of the last one..".then either that next host will get a new, cheap track or not.

* The 2002 track in Park City, Utah cost only $25 million to build in 1999-00 dollars. http://www.engineergirl.org/what_engineers_do/FunFacts/BobsleighRuns.aspx

(Or at least that's my guess of how to get around being forced to spend $50+ million for a track that will get little use and/or just another one in countries where there are already 2 or 3 in use.) Thoughts?

Isn't a temporary track possible?

When Sion bid for the 2006 games, they included St Moritz, but with the chance the IOC considered this too far also included a temporary prefabricated track which could easily be removed post games as part of their bid. In 1999 this technology was in an 'experimental' stage so it can be considered that it might have advanced since then.

^^ Olympics in New Mexico? It'll just be like Reno, forever associated with desert surroundings using a third-rate city.

Excuse me? Have u ever been to Reno? Don't be such an idiot. Reno has Lake Tahoe and the slopes are only 50 minutes away from the city. I believe Albuquerque's slopes are at least a good 2.5 hours away. And they're just boring range mountains like Salt Lake, Denver, Anchorage and Boise. Sad that u've been poisoned by a very prejudiced, negative, rather disturbed poster here.

Excuse me? Have u ever been to Reno? Don't be such an idiot. Reno has Lake Tahoe and the slopes are only 50 minutes away from the city. I believe Albuquerque's slopes are at least a good 2.5 hours away. And they're just boring range mountains like Salt Lake, Denver, Anchorage and Boise. Sad that u've been poisoned by a very prejudiced, negative, rather disturbed poster here.

I know there's slopes near Reno. But to a majority of the world audience, Nevada will be associated with (other than gambling and the like), desert, even if places like Reno aren't really like this.

It's like associating Australia as one huge desert, or Aussies having Kangaroos as pets, even though this is not the case.

Yeah, but the 'high' desert of Nevada isn't really like the desert of Texas or Death Valley. The distances aren't really that far and I always associate New Mexico with the nefarious projects like the atomic bomb and Roswell. Santa Fe, its more cultural center, is too small to host a WGs.

I know there's slopes near Reno. But to a majority of the world audience, Nevada will be associated with (other than gambling and the like), desert, even if places like Reno aren't really like this.

It's like associating Australia as one huge desert, or Aussies having Kangaroos as pets, even though this is not the case.

Seriously.. what does the "world audience" really know about Reno and Nevada? I mean, I know there's a stereotype against them here because most of the crowd thinks it's amusing to oppose baron (not that I can blame you for that), but now New Mexico is a no-go because it's too much like Reno? Come on. And in the next breath you're talking about how we shouldn't stereotype Australia in the same manner.

As for New Mexico.. like baron noted, the fact they don't have the slopes and ski resorts of Tahoe probably sinks them. Too far from Albuquerque. Santa Fe isn't big enough. Oh yea, and they're not interested.

This forum continues to amuse as we still like to throw darts at the board and see where it hits. Apparently someone's landed on New Mexico. I can understand talking about these hypotheticals, but let's keep it in perspective when we're looking for reasons to dismiss these locations when they've never said they're into it in the first place.

Solvang.jpg

Wanna talk about pretty?? Solvang, cute, BEAUTIFUL, clean. Very European. Perfect to host a Winter Olympics. Only 4 hours away from Big Bear. Only 5,000+ people. No ghettos. Can stand room for improvement and expansion: two major arenas, a speed-skating center, a bobsleigh-luge run, a media center, what else???

Albuquerque to Taos Ski Valley is about 3hr drive. Of course there are all the other smaller resorts closer along the way, and Santa Fe is about an hour up from Albuquerque. Albuquerque is bigger than Salt Lake, and Santa Fe is in itself an exclusive international destination, sort of like a dessert Aspen vibe for wealth, luxury, people, restaurants, art, spas, relaxation, and mood.

Taos is one of the most fantastic ski areas in the US, incredibly beautiful and rigorous. Other resorts in the area closer to Albuquerque could easily handle board sport and freestyle events.

Not that anybody’s going to New Mexico for the Olympics but they COULD do it and it NOT Salt Lake.

Q. If you’ve been to a beach do you avoid all other beaches because they all have sand and surf?

Albuquerque is bigger than Salt Lake,

Taos is one of the most fantastic ski areas in the US, incredibly beautiful and rigorous.

The Salt Lake City metropolitan area is much larger than Albuquerque's, though. Which is what is really gauged when measuring up cities capabilities stage the Games.

I can't envision something more majestic & breathtakingly beautiful than by being right in the middle of the Rocky Mountain range like Salt Lake is nestled in.

*capabilities TO stage the Games.

But to a majority of the world audience, Nevada will be associated with (other than gambling and the like), desert, even if places like Reno aren't really like this.

I don't think "association from a majority of the world audience" matters. Look at recent selections and their world associations...

Pyeongchang: Isn't that the capital of *North Korea*?

Sochi: Russia's beach resort

Vancouver: Crunchy pot smokers surrounded by rain forrest

Turin: Ancient relics

Salt Lake: probably the only one of the bunch that has a strong winter sports connotation

Nagano: Where?

The Salt Lake City metropolitan area is much larger than Albuquerque's, though. Which is what is really gauged when measuring up cities capabilities stage the Games.

I can't envision something more majestic & breathtakingly beautiful than by being right in the middle of the Rocky Mountain range like Salt Lake is nestled in.

*capabilities TO stage the Games.

i thought the metros were about the same, and as I mentioned Albuquerque city is much bigger than Salt Lake.

Salk Lake is in the Wasatch not Rockies.

Well, that's just splitting hairs, really. Since the Wasatch range is general considered the western edge of the greater Rocky Mountains. But the initial point was that's a more beautiful part of the country, with those towering peaks, than New Mexico is.

And I knew what you meant about city proper wise. But again, it's generally the metro area of a region that gets gauged for how an area can/can't cope with an Olympics. And since you brought up the Wasatch range, the Wasatch Front is bascially the Salt Lake City Metropolitan area which is at 2.2 million, twice as big than Albuquerque's at 1.1 million. So not really about the same by any means.

.....I’m sure I love Utah and the Wasatch as much as anybody here. I know Salt Lake very well, and I find it stunningly beautiful!

However, the surrounding geography between Albuquerque and Taos is as beautiful and has some very special and different geography. Around Salk Lake you really don’t get the red dirt dessert like some parts of Utah, but around Albuquerque you get all that and some amazingly grand and vast plateaus which are stunningly beautiful in winter with white snow. It’s quit amazing. There is also something of an architectural theme throughout this region (especially in Santa Fe), which adds some nice continuity to the area, while in Salt Lake it’s a bit of a free for all everywhere except the most exclusive alpine enclaves.

I find New Mexico beautiful.

…and I still think Albuquerque metro is bigger than you mentioned;

Wiki mentions these numbers for the 2:

Salt Lake: metro 1,145,905

Albuquerque: 1,146,049

Archived