U.S. Winter Bid for 2022 or 2026

Soaring

how about jackson hole, wyoming?

if denver say gets over the '76 hump and lands the bid will it be Invesco Field or Coors Field for the opening/closing? Granted Pepsi Center will be the hockey venue, University of Denver Arena or Magness Arena will be the satelitte hockey venue. a new oval will be built for sure (will it be in denver or in the surround areas like aurora, boulder (not familiar with the distance so need your help here), is denver coliseum even a suitable venue? when the DNC was staged in . skiing, and the sliding eventss will most likely be either in vail, beaver creek, breckenridge or keystone. is the Colorado Convention Centre big enough or will it require extension? was the CCC used during the 2008 DNC?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if denver say gets over the '76 hump and lands the bid will it be Invesco Field or Coors Field for the opening/closing? Granted Pepsi Center will be the hockey venue, University of Denver Arena or Magness Arena will be the satelitte hockey venue. a new oval will be built for sure (will it be in denver or in the surround areas like aurora, boulder (not familiar with the distance so need your help here), is denver coliseum even a suitable venue? when the DNC was staged in . skiing, and the sliding eventss will most likely be either in vail, beaver creek, breckenridge or keystone. is the Colorado Convention Centre big enough or will it require extension? was the CCC used during the 2008 DNC?

USOC would be extremely stupid and naive to rish a denver bid. we've been thru this before. Somebody who travels a lot to Denver already posted here; the Denverites he knows really aren't fond of the Olympics. In fact he says they mock'em...so?

How are you so quick to judge a bid that hardly even exists? LOL.

Nykfan, I'm not judging a bid. I'm judging Reno. Reno exists.

Stir, I think it's a wonderful trait to be able to appreciate the merits of wherever one happens to be. It speaks very well of your character. I am sure that Reno has some pleasant spots (riverwalk, etc.) and once one is out of the city the landscape is beautiful. I still feel that the overriding character of the city is not one of the first things about the U.S. that I would want to put on display for the world.

how about jackson hole, wyoming?

Breck is looking more and more like Park City every year (but with a more interesting hill), I think they would be in a Denver mix...or even Winter park (owned by intrawest) seems like the type of venues that might work maybe for freestyle events (closer to the city too). I just don't see Vail in the mix, it's almost bigger than the olympics, and I don't think they like that.

Jackson Hole is an amazing geographic hill, with lots of craggy features and outcroppings, steep drops, narrow shoots, and easy access to back country. You'd probably have to do freestyle/snowboard events over at Grand Targhee, and the cross country could be amazing if staged partly in Yellowstone, there's unbelievably scenic cc skiing all through there in winter. But.......Jackson is a TINY town, I don't see any way you could run all the other events in a town that small.

Ok. I agree with you that Tahoe is fantastic, but my question was what do you like about RENO. The only thing you mentioned was the airport and that it is "primed for growth". That, in a nutshell, is my beef with the bid. The draw is Tahoe and one just has to hold one's nose while passing through Reno. That is not a great bid. If the field is weak, it might be enough to win, but it falls far short of "wonderful."

Oh I think he answered it; not in ways you wanted to hear but he did.

Athens, please take your blinders off. If the USOC and the IOC think that Reno isn't good enough, then it ain't gonna happen. I just think one can overlook the city's "blight" as you call it for the other fantastic virtues that the outdoor venues and trails can offer.

Oh I think he answered it; not in ways you wanted to hear but he did.

Athens, please take your blinders off. If the USOC and the IOC think that Reno isn't good enough, then it ain't gonna happen. I just think one can overlook the city's "blight" as you call it for the other fantastic virtues that the outdoor venues and trails can offer.

I don't have blinders on. That's why I asked Stir for his perspective. Other than the two phrases I mentioned, his whole post was about Tahoe. What did you see that I didn't? Also, if you've read my previous posts, I acknowledged that Reno might be good enough to win against a weak field. I just think its a shame that the US would blow our one chance at the games in a 40 year period on that particular city.

I have an opinion. Not blinders. Lay off.

Thank you baron.

Don't know if anyone saw this article about the need to expand rail service for a Denver Olympics to be successful.

http://coloradoindependent.com/49903/denver-2022-bid-for-the-games-to-win-20-billion-mountain-rail-system

The writer has some interesting points about needed rail transport, but his ideas for a venue plan are just laughable.

He's got to be high thinking of going way out to Steamboat. Great hill (if you like trees), long trek! Even Aspen seems kinda silly, but there is the ski train that already goes to Winter Park. I hate to admit it but Denver kinda sucks to get up the hill. And it snows a lot up ther all winter. I-70 is one awsome road but seems like I'm always on it in snow and ice, and trying to stay alive pinned between insane truckers in scary conditions. A train would be great.

Reno might be loads easier to pull off,

If you know the history between us, you know that's not true.

I'm not saying you agree on everything. Just Reno.

Doc, I did see that Denver article. There actually seem to be several recent articles about the pros and cons of a bid, but they all seem to highlight transportation. It's interesting to see that they're exploring the possibilities, but nobody in Denver sounds like they're brimming with enthusiasm.

My vote would be for Invesco. Something about ceremonies in a baseball stadium just feels weird. I admit that there isn't any well-reasoned argument behind it. I just don't like the geometry...

Well never mind that fact. Here's all you need to know:

Coors Field - 50,000 seats

Invesco Field - 75,000 seats

They would have it at Invesco.

Denver ain't gettin' no Olympics, so it's irrelevant anyway.

Never say never. We've seen crazy and strange decisions from the IOC sometimes. The IOC picked games like Atlanta 1996 and Sochi 2014. Chicago got spurned Conan style. I guess this is what Baron is hoping for for Reno.

Archived