Snow covers the Vancouver region

mr.x

Snow takes Metro Vancouver by surprise

Winter returns to the region - and the much-maligned Cypress Mountain

Niamh Scallan

Vancouver, BC — Globe and Mail update Published on Thursday, Mar. 11, 2010 12:15PM EST Last updated on Thursday, Mar. 11, 2010 1:18PM EST

Vancouver's wish for snow was finally granted this morning - just a few weeks too late for the 2010 Olympic Games to take advantage.

After hosting the warmest Winter Games on record - and being mocked around the world for the lack of snow - Vancouver-area ski hills were open for business again. Cypress Mountain – where 28,000 spectators had their Olympic tickets cancelled – received 37 centimetres of snow between Wednesday and Thursday morning. Other areas of the North Shore, as well as parts of Port Coquitlam and South Vancouver received up to eight centimetres of snow on Wednesday night.

The Burnaby area and Burnaby Mountain are reported to be the areas hardest hit by the surprise blast of winter-like weather. Simon Fraser University issued a weather alert on Thursday morning, warning students of limited public transit services and poor road conditions. A shuttle service was in operation early Thursday as regular bus services were unable to make it up to the campus due to adverse road conditions.

Slippery road conditions across the Lower Mainland are not expected to last as rain and moderately warm temperatures are in the forecast.

4425110174_627b116e83_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Was up at Cypress boarding on Wed night. First time doing any boarding this season thanks to volunteering, no snow. Conditions were surprisingly good, though only the top of the Cut ("upper cut" heh heh") was open. As were some of the blue runs, but I was on a new board and didn't want to push things too much.

Sweet board, eh? Yet another post-2010 Games bargain :) :) :)

4475691352_b70c15e0eb.jpg

Was up at Cypress boarding on Wed night. First time doing any boarding this season thanks to volunteering, no snow. Conditions were surprisingly good, though only the top of the Cut ("upper cut" heh heh") was open. As were some of the blue runs, but I was on a new board and didn't want to push things too much.

I'm gonna catch one final day of skiing on Big White on Sunday. The interior hills are closing this weekend. Not really due to a lack of snow, but a lack of people - they're hitting the golf courses. The hill where I worked at this winter shut down two weeks ago, one week earlier than usual. I was up Big White, Silver Star, and Mt. Baldy (in Oliver) a week ago and it was pretty dead on all three mountains. We need the economy to pick up some more.